Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Picked up my 12FV in 308 from Cabelas today. Was originally looking at the 10FCP-SR because of the 20” threaded barrel, but this was such a screaming deal I couldn’t pass it up. Now I can’t decide if I should sellthis barrel and buy another that is 18” or 20” and theeaded (suppresor) or cut and thread this one. Or keep this one and buy the other. $140 to thread (cut to length is free with the threading).

Basic Member
    I’ll try again tomorrow and maybe again next week.
    I talked with the first person who answered the call and the supervisor and they both said that nobody told me to submit after the deadline. They said they never told any of their employees to say that. Im not too hopeful that I’ll talk with anyone who can help.

Can someone verify that the Boyd's stock that fits my 12FV is the:
    SAVAGE 12 TOP BOLT RELEASEAT-ONE SAVAGE 12 TBR DETACHABLE MAG SA FBC
    Item #: 43A334D741ZZ

I ordered floor plates and magazines from Savage.

Basic Member
    ^^^^That's correct, because you are adding detachable mag bottom metal.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    ^^^^That's correct, because you are adding detachable mag bottom metal.
    Thanks a lot! Ordered two.

I finally got to shoot mine this weekend. So far the results look very promising.

Bottom hole was the first shot after bore sighting. It’s only a 3-shot group (didn’t have a lot of ammo on hand) but so far it looks to be a shooter.

Basic Member
    Very nice!

One thing to note is that after ~10 rounds the group opened up to 1.5” but after running three patches down the barrel it went back to shooting 3/8” groups. This was with Hornady Black/American Gunner 140 gr. I’m excited to see how it’s going to do once the barrel is broken in.

The barrel wasn’t centered in the stock very well at all and I had to use a dremel with a sanding drum to open it up a bit on the left side. I was concerned that the stock would end up causing accuracy issuse but thankfully that wasn’t the case. Eventually I want to put it in an XLR Element chassis but right now I’d rather spend my limited budget on ammo.

Basic Member
    Hear ya on expenditures... I'm debating between a Bell&Calrson Stock, or a starter reloading kit and keeping the Tupperware for a while... Mine in .223 is shooting 5-shot groups around 0.5"/100-yards with the "stock" stock after 100-rounds through the tube...

I had a chance to shoot two Rem 700’s the other day, one with a B&C stock and the other an HS Precision. I’ll take the HS all day over the B&C simply because it feels so much better. I also had the chance to shoot a Rem 700 with a Grayboe stock and it was my favorite. I emailed Grayboe asking if they were still planning to release a stock for Savage rifles this year and was told it would be sometime in 2019

I would invest in reloading supplies if the factory stock isn’t causing any issues. Try to check out someone else’s reloading setup before buying anything if possible to make sure your going to actually enjoy it before dropping a ton of money on everything. If hand loading seems like a time consuming, tedious, PITA, then you’ll be better off just buying loaded ammo.
    Last edited by The_Hammer; 02-27-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: My grammer suck my spelling suck.

Basic Member
    I honestly think I would enjoy reloading as a hobby. I have a chemistry degree I never really used, and enjoy precision type activities. I really probably don't get to shoot enough to justify it based on economics alone, but am intrigued with the ability to develop a load that shoots with optimum repeatable accuracy.

How easy would it be to convert one of these from .223 to 6.5 creedmoor? Do I only need a new barrel and bolt and magazine (I have mine in a MDT chassis)?

It would be cheaper to wait until black Fri and buy a 6.5 cm.

Team Savage
    Assuming they are still selling them by then.

To convert a .223 to 6.5CM, all you need is the barrel and bolt head. You don't need the whole bolt. Of course, if the .223 bolt has the extended front baffle, you would have to replace it with a regular front baffle so the bolt can be drawn far enough back to pick up the 6.5 round. Also, the internal magazine would have to be swapped from the .223 to the 6.5 mag. Again, not hard to do but it would need to be done. All in all you're talking about maybe $75 in parts on top of the barrel, which I've seen going used for as little as $100 but usually more like $150.

As BB68 suggests, it may make more sense to just buy a second rifle in 6.5 because you won't be spending that much more, and you'll have two rifles instead of one.

If you're no longer interested in the .223 and would be willing to trade it for a 6.5 barrel, then you may be able to get where you're going for under $100.

Basic Member
    I pulled the trigger on an EABCO Choate Tactical with bottom metal installed, just have to buy mags. Shipped price just over $400. It's backordered though. Anyone went this route?

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Detacha...n_p_15372.html

I’m going to end up with an XLR Element chassis later on. As good as this rifle shoots I’m in no hurry though, especially since I just spent $180 on dies and $200 on powder and 147 gr ELD-M bullets.

Basic Member
    I hear that. Bet the hand loads really tighten things up. Hoping my stock does as well, and that backorder isn't months out...

It looks like there isn’t much room left to tighten things up lol. The other three holes were from sighting in with 140gr American gunner.

I made some nice hits on a 2/3 silhouette steel target at 830 yards. I’ll be able to shrink down the SD with some quality hand loads which will really help with the long range shots.

Quote Originally Posted by TXRoadlizard View Post
    I honestly think I would enjoy reloading as a hobby. I have a chemistry degree I never really used, and enjoy precision type activities. I really probably don't get to shoot enough to justify it based on economics alone, but am intrigued with the ability to develop a load that shoots with optimum repeatable accuracy.

I do enjoy reloading (precision reloading) with its different stages. It’s very satisfying to load ammo that is precisely loaded for my particular firearm whether rifle or handgun. It can and does get expensive with the tooling. Building some of the tooling is very gratifying also. I got started reloading 45 years ago and I still enjoy it very much. When I retire, hopefully soon, I’ll get to devote more time to it.

I know this is probably a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any idea how far behind the backorders are shipping? I ordered a .204 Ruger 12FV about 2-1/2 weeks ago and a friend ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor about three. We're both spending way too much time checking our email for a shipping notice that has yet to come.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostdncr View Post
    I know this is probably a shot in the dark, but does anyone have any idea how far behind the backorders are shipping? I ordered a .204 Ruger 12FV about 2-1/2 weeks ago and a friend ordered a 6.5 Creedmoor about three. We're both spending way too much time checking our email for a shipping notice that has yet to come.
    Start checking with all the stores in your state and then in the surrounding states until you find one. I found mine three states away and had it shipped to my FFL.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Hammer View Post
    Start checking with all the stores in your state and then in the surrounding states until you find one. I found mine three states away and had it shipped to my FFL.
    I was wondering how you got it so quickly.

I already ordered the 6.5CM online but just as a goof, I started checking local stores and it now says "limited stock online" and "in stock" at my local store. I hope that means I'll be getting a shipping notice soon.

Basic Member
    I acutally looked at different stores till I found the calibers that I needed. Then I contacted the stores and eventually was told that it's possible for them to do a store to store transfer for free and after talking to my local store they agreed to put the items on hold for me, up to 3 days, and then pick up the rifle at my local cabela's. Although I was told they were trying to phase out store to store transfers but all stores can do them it just requires they guncounter manager to do the paperwork. I had trouble with one store and so I called their corporate offices and that was hit and miss. Some people there were extremely helpful others were not in the least. Although one lady stepped in and called the stores and sorted it all out and then followed up with me telling me when it would arrive at my local store. Also the gun counter people have an inventory system that at times is more up to date then online and they can find a gun if it's located in any Cabelas store not just there own. So if your willing to do some phone calling you can typically bypass the backorder and wait times.

Finally picked it up from the FFL today!

Basic Member
    Awesome! Nice glass!! Can't wait to get mine back to the range....