Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

mjgillen

Hey holescreek I shot mine for the first time yesterday without magazine issues however I only loaded one at a time. Seemed OK to me. I also ordered a single shot "plate" from SSS and will let you know how that works.

On another topic, I'm trying to fill out the online rebate form however they put a big yellow sticker over the SKU on my box. Would you do me a favor and post your SKU so I can fill out the form? Thanks!

Michael

Basic Member
    mjgillen
    I had the very same issue. Cabelas has their head up their arse when they apply their label to the box. I didn't worry about the sku and cut the entire label and the Savage label under it and sent it that way. I have checked on my rebate and it took about two weeks for it to be entered into the system. So apparently that is good enough.

Basic Member
    A little heat from the heat gun and that big yellow sticker came right off of mine.

mjgillen
    I *carefully* peeled mine off. The SKU for the .223 is 011356183910 if anyone else needs it. Good luck! Love my very first centerfire rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by holescreek View Post
    Greetings all! I found this thread after googling "Savage model 12 FV bottom metal" and joined after reading several other posts. I'm glad to see the thread was resurrected too.

I brought home a model 12FV in .223 from Cabellas yesterday. I had an extra 20MOA 1 piece Millett rail left over from my other Savage (model 10 FCP-K) that fit perfectly so I used it to mount an old Leupold 24x I picked up a couple of gun shows ago on it. I took it out to the range this morning and ran some junk ammo through it to get the scope dialed in (what a fiasco - that old Leupold is strange) before switching to a single box of Australian Outback .223 (factory loaded 69gr SMK bullets) I picked up when I bought the rifle. Average 4 shot group size from the last 5 groups was .75".

Now to a comment and question. Loading the internal mag was very hard. After 80 rounds my thumb was sore. I shoot a lot of large bore rifles without issue but these little suckers hurt! The rifle shoots so well with factory ammo that I think it's worth changing out the bottom metal to utilize a detachable mag and putting a decent stock on it. The factory stock is OK except for the grip angle so I'll probably opt for something from Boyds with more of a straight grip.

I found that PTG has a bottom metal and mag combo. It's a little pricey but not out of the running. Earlier in the thread factory replacement components were discussed. Where can I find the information to get the part numbers needed to switch to factory components? Also are there better/different options? (Leaving the internal mag alone is not an option).
    Hi holescreek,

Have you made any progress towards replacing the stock with a detachable magazine option? I haven't had any feed issues with my .223 but do agree it can wear out your thumb! Looking at the Boyd's stocks I can't find a combo with center feed detachable magazine and bull/varmint profile barrel. To make my search more difficult, I'm a lefty so the nice thumb hole stocks out there won't work for me.

Otherwise I'm impressed by this rifle! I'm getting 1/2" groups with both 69gr SMK and 55gr ZMax.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Hi Texas10 (I'm in Austin too!),

That's just the stock I was looking at but can't use because I'm a lefty Thanks though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Village View Post
    Hi holescreek,

Have you made any progress towards replacing the stock with a detachable magazine option? I haven't had any feed issues with my .223 but do agree it can wear out your thumb! Looking at the Boyd's stocks I can't find a combo with center feed detachable magazine and bull/varmint profile barrel. To make my search more difficult, I'm a lefty so the nice thumb hole stocks out there won't work for me.

Otherwise I'm impressed by this rifle! I'm getting 1/2" groups with both 69gr SMK and 55gr ZMax.
    I decided to go old school and make my own stock from aluminum and ordered an AICS .223 mag from PTG to try to incorporate it into the design. So far I've go the aluminum squared up and the receiver channel cut, just waiting on the mag to show up to work it into the plans. I've made a couple other aluminum stocked rifles in the last year or two so it only seemed right to continue on. You can see the aluminum Mauser and Mosin stocks I've done on Youtube under "holescreek" if interested. The new Savage stock will probably incorporate the front end half from the Mauser design with the back half of the Mosin design.

I did do a lot of searching for premade stocks, maybe you should take a look at Richards Microfit Stocks, they had a lot more options than Boyd's and is who I would have bought a stock from if I'd gone that route. The more I looked into adding bottom metal the less attractive the extra expense (PTG bottom metal and AICS mag) became to me. I single loaded my shots at the last range session with the 12FV and never bothered with the blind mag.

If the weather holds out I'm taking the day off tomorrow and heading back to the range with the 12FV and my 10 FCP-K with freshly loaded SMK's for both to test out.

It was a good day!

Last edited by holescreek; 05-09-2016 at 08:40 PM.

I'm a sick man. I picked up another 12FV at Cabela's yesterday. Using my "employee discount" coupon, it only cost me $377 plus tax. With the rebate...I couldn't resist! The only problem was the choice of chamberings. I could only choose between .22-250 and .204 Ruger. I went with the former for its bigger bolt face.

Basic Member
    I am with ya man. In deliberations!

Basic Member
    I just picked up the .308 model at cabelas,anybody have load data ,OAL info for SMK 168 and varget? Or other powder,bullet combinations?

Basic Member
    Got my 3rd FV on Monday before my Like A Employee Discount expired. Out the Door with Background and Tax 430.00 Now send in for my $100 Rebate Total Cost $330, No way I could resist That Deal. 2nd .308 but I am on the hunt now for a 6.5 Creedmoor Barrel to do a Barrel Swap. Enjoy guys.

Basic Member
    I have a FV in .308. I've been spending alot of time shooting 168 hornady bthp. They have done ok, but i'm finding better accuracy with heavier bullets in the 180 area. My most accurate 168 grain load was with 44.5 grains of varget. I was able to get 1/2 moa at 150 yards but i can't say it was the most consistent load. seems more consistent with the heavier bullets.

Bigtulip
    Hey Stomp, I picked one of these to rebarrel it into .450 Bushmaster for Southern Michigan hunting. Waiting on the barrel from Apache. What parts are needed to change it to a removable magazine? For $30.00 I'd rather have that.

Basic Member
    Are the .308 rifles 1/10" twist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Yes, 1 to 10 twist Shiyfire.

Banned
    Mine has been back and forth. I get settled in on a load and then off it went (getting consistent ) under 5/8 MOA then off to around 1 inch (308)

Running Imr 4895, AA 2495 (seems the best so far) and well as A4064, 748 and tried R17. 168s mostly but various 180s and seems to like the 168s more (Horndady)

Last week same rounds all of a sudden settled back in.

this week I am going with a non cleaned barrel as that seemed to be the only difference

some odd sticky cases with well under pressure, bolt a bit odd feeling at times. Not sure its not an issue. Not unhappy but may need to go back to check out.

Its my Savage learned and so far I like all I have found out.

Quote Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
    I have a FV in .308. I've been spending alot of time shooting 168 hornady bthp. They have done ok, but i'm finding better accuracy with heavier bullets in the 180 area. My most accurate 168 grain load was with 44.5 grains of varget. I was able to get 1/2 moa at 150 yards but i can't say it was the most consistent load. seems more consistent with the heavier bullets.
    My best 168bthp load so far has been with 46gr cfe223 but the bolt is a little sticky. 44.5 of varget and the 168 amax worked very well but I may try and drop down a couple tenths and see what happens. How long can you load the 180s?

Banned
    I would have to check, varies with the ogive, have small number of 175 Sierra so number get mixed in, so far it seems to want about .030 off the lands.

Basic Member
    my oal measured in the chamber with 180 grain sst is 2.815. I have loaded to them to 2.805-2.810 oal.

Basic Member
    Just bought the cabelas savage fv 223. Putting weaver t36 scope on it. What rings height rings did you use ? I think I will put 20 moa rail on it to good of deal to pass up $419.00 with 100.00 rebate. Marty
    Last edited by NDAR15MAN; 06-05-2016 at 06:06 PM.

Basic Member
    I used Warne weaver style two piece bases and the Zee Signature mediums was about right for my 40mm bell. A rail might put you a tad higher and maybe low rings will work. I dunno.

Banned
    I went with Warne rings and mounts.

I have a rail on the 111 (it came with it, ie used aka my project gun). It sits the scope a bit higher than I like, will see how I feel once I get the bull barrel on it (308 for now, 30-06 when it gets here)

For the heavier calibers the rail may help beef up the action though I would use steel for that purpose.

Basic Member
    I stopped in to Cabela's and found that the 12FVs are on sale through the end of the month. The Savage $100 rebate goes through the end of June also. The FVs are marked at $349.99 which is $70 off the regular price of $419.99. How can anybody pass up these rifles at a final price of $250 after rebate?!! They actually had all four calibers in stock to boot. Go. Go now...

Basic Member
    I wasn't able to get the rebate..

Page 5 of 72 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast