Page 45 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by snapcrackpop View Post
    Got my new Boyds Heritage stock on last night! Still need to do a little sanding the barrel channel before bedding it as it had the model 10 cut to it. I also need to shorten the front screw. Anyone know by how much?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    Damn that's nice!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mb1500 View Post
    Damn that's nice!
    Thanks! I'm going to love it once it's bedded.
    I was tempted to go for the Claro X or XX, but once I saw the different examples I decided the plain was nice enough with the checkering.

Basic Member
    I had purchased the stock before with "stippled" checkering, but it decided it would be too difficult to keep the checkering clean. I also ordered the bottom bolt release by mistake. So when I sent it back I switched to classic checkering & I'm happy with the result.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
    That Boyd's stock looks nice!
    Thanks.
    I'm disappointed Boyds doesn't have better pictures of the plain walnut & Claro versions on their website. I think they would sell more of them.

Me too I was really wanting a classic looking stock for one of my savages. I looked and was terribly disappointed in their lack of pictures.
    Thanks.
    I'm disappointed Boyds doesn't have better pictures of the plain walnut & Claro versions on their website. I think they would sell more of them.

Basic Member
    Just got an email saying my rebate is in the mail.

Slightly off topic, I'm about to order the ptg aics bottom metal for my gun. Does anyone know of youtube videos showing how they cut the stock?

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.J.W. View Post
    Just got an email saying my rebate is in the mail.

..............snip...........
    Me too......... it sure has been a long time.

My concern is that they rebate notice says $100 bucks, but it's not clear what that means. I hope they're referring to the the $100 rebate program, not my total rebate because I bought two guns and submitted the paperwork for both of them at once. I'm hoping the envelope has two cards in it.

I'll know in a couple of days

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Email 2:39am today ""Congratulations! Your rebate for the Save On A Savage, Centerfire Fall 2017 promotion has been mailed to the following address." Must have been a LOT of rifles sold during this promotion.
    Same here, approved and mailed.....Wow, it does take awhile.....What's next for my spending agenda???
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Email 2:39am today ""Congratulations! Your rebate for the Save On A Savage, Centerfire Fall 2017 promotion has been mailed to the following address." Must have been a LOT of rifles sold during this promotion.
    I guess they dont do them in order. I submitted 11/20 approved 12/11. Status is not been updated to mailed. It is nice to see people getting their money though.

Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    I guess they dont do them in order. I submitted 11/20 approved 12/11. Status is not been updated to mailed. It is nice to see people getting their money though.
    I’m in the same boat? Submitted 11/11, approved 12/12, and mine has also not been mailed. I am just trying to patiently wait.

Basic Member
    Rebate approved 12/12 mailed 1/11.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher08 View Post
    Me too I was really wanting a classic looking stock for one of my savages. I looked and was terribly disappointed in their lack of pictures.
    There's a reason they don't. No two pieces are going to look the same or offer the same amount of figure. If they put up pictures showing a really great piece of wood that's what everyone would expect and you simply can't guarantee that. Wood blanks are like fortune cookies, you don't know what your going to find until you crack it open - or in this case start whittling on it.

So rather than risk customers being disappointed because the stock they received doesn't look as nice as a select one they used on the website, they just use a run of the mill one for the photo to keep expectations more realistic. That said, based on the one I got (second hand from a member here) that was ordered Claro XX (50% figure) they're idea of 50% and my idea of 50% are vastly different. This stock maybe has 25% and what is does have is very faint. There's a couple pics of it in each of these scope review articles:

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...th-TMR-Reticle

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...mm-Rifle-Scope

So until I see a few of the higher grade walnut stocks from them that show differently I would recommend not spending the big money to "upgrade" to X or XX Claro and instead just get the standard grade walnut.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    There's a reason they don't. No two pieces are going to look the same or offer the same amount of figure. If they put up pictures showing a really great piece of wood that's what everyone would expect and you simply can't guarantee that. Wood blanks are like fortune cookies, you don't know what your going to find until you crack it open - or in this case start whittling on it.

So rather than risk customers being disappointed because the stock they received doesn't look as nice as a select one they used on the website, they just use a run of the mill one for the photo to keep expectations more realistic. That said, based on the one I got (second hand from a member here) that was ordered Claro XX (50% figure) they're idea of 50% and my idea of 50% are vastly different. This stock maybe has 25% and what is does have is very faint. There's a couple pics of it in each of these scope review articles:

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...th-TMR-Reticle

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...mm-Rifle-Scope

So until I see a few of the higher grade walnut stocks from them that show differently I would recommend not spending the big money to "upgrade" to X or XX Claro and instead just get the standard grade walnut.
    Yeah I get that, BUT there is almost no walnut examples in their pictures and I have not been able to find more than ONE example of Claro X or XX.
    Plus they already have their disclaimers posted about that.

Cool

I checked the status of my rebate 2 days ago (01/16) and it still said 'received' and 'approved'........but not mailed. Just now checked again and it sez 'mailed 01/15/18'. Strange. I'm happy it's on the way now. Didn't receive emails informing me it was approved or mailed. Received emails when it was received, and when it was initially rejected (phone call fixed that one the same day). Think I'll spend that $100 towards a Boyds Pro Varmint laminate stock. I already have some aluminum pillars squirreled away for pillar bedding the Boyds stock. The Accutrigger is surprisingly nice on this rifle.

I finally got around to improving the bedding on the OEM plastic stock. Will shoot it some more tomorrow (just some AE XM193 ball this time)..........but still am planning to replace that plastic stock. I haven't really shot it for groups yet. Mostly just break in so far. Got some vertical stringing that I didn't like. Decided to sort out the bedding. I stiffened the fore end by filling all the voids with 30 minute epoxy, then cleaned/clearanced the barrel channel after that cured. Removed plastic material around the front pillar (under the front receiver ring) and on the rear face of the recoil lug recess. Epoxy bedded the recoil lug and that pad under the front receiver ring (just used some JB Weld this time as I didn't want to waste Acraglass Gel on that cheapee stock). Not the prettiest bedding job I've done, but it should be functional. Bedding is much better now. Those thin wall steel pillars have very little contact area against the receiver. That's a lotta weight up front (26" tube) to be supporting with just a thin pillar in flexy plastic. With the bedding work it should be fine, and the barrel channel won't contact the barrel anymore. Out of the box, the fore end could be flexed up (or sideways) enough to touch the barrel with little pressure.

I still don't like how the plastic stock handles, feels, or balances. Will probably put about a pound of clay in the butt cavity (LOL) to bring the balance point back a bit and get it to ride the bags better. It's heavy now (put a trusted old 6.5-20x40AO Vari-X III on it), and will be HEAVY after I add some ballast. This is my current designated 'sit at the bench and shoot little groups while BS'ng with the old guys at the range' rifle, so the weight isn't an issue. Just gotta carry it to/from the bench. I use my .17hmr for 'walking varminting'. Part of me hopes that my bedding fix does the job well (for pride's sake)...........................and part of me doesn't (because if it shoots like gangbusters then I'll have a hard time convincing myself to replace the plastic stock. :D

Do sales on these come up often? It's currently full price 419$, I missed the 100$ rebate Is it a bad deal to get it now? I think I could wait a month or two but if they don't usually go on sale again until May, I might as well pick one up now (Unless there's a better deal on a comparable price/performance bolt gun now).

Quote Originally Posted by ez510 View Post
    Do sales on these come up often? It's currently full price 419$, I missed the 100$ rebate Is it a bad deal to get it now? I think I could wait a month or two but if they don't usually go on sale again until May, I might as well pick one up now (Unless there's a better deal on a comparable price/performance bolt gun now).
    Welcome to the sickness..
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

It’s still a good deal. It’s just a great deal when you can get 1 for 100 off and 100 rebate. I’m thinking about another one. This time 223 or 22-250.

Basic Member
    And people, do NOT forget about the gift cards!!! You can easily get Cabela's cards for 12-20% off face value from e-bay or gift card sites. Right now there are $100 cards for $82 on e-bay.

I picked up a bunch of the last 20% off and my 12FVs ended up costing me $208 out the door after I get my rebate....amazing deal!!!

How are they guaranteed to have $100 on them?

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    It’s still a good deal. It’s just a great deal when you can get 1 for 100 off and 100 rebate. I’m thinking about another one. This time 223 or 22-250.

If they do this again I will probably get 4-6

Definitely still a good deal at $419. If they had an LH version at the same price (or similar) I'd be buying a few just to get the actions and sell the barrel/stock/etc.

They're a great deal at $319, and a FANTASTIC deal at $319 PLUS a $100 rebate.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    ...Bedding is much better now. Those thin wall steel pillars have very little contact area against the receiver. That's a lotta weight up front (26" tube) to be supporting with just a thin pillar in flexy plastic....

Sounds like you're doing good with the 12fv. However, I believe you are over critical of the pillars and have some misconceptions about pillars in general. #1, no pillars are designed (or should be used) to support the barreled action. THeir job is to do nothing more than prevent the stock material from compressing when tightening the action screws and changing the torque over time. Pillars do not support the action, no matter how big or thin they are. The stock and/or it's bedding should support the action, not the pillars. In short, pillars serve one role, action's bedding serves another.

The pillars do not need to be robust. Think compressive strength.

Well I guess I'll buy my .223 now and if it ever goes on sale again I can get a 6.5 CM ��

I kick myself in the butt for not getting one before the rebate time expired, but my dilemma is which chambering to get. I will likely toss a coin between 223 or the 6.5. Although the 6.5 would suit me better as I want to learn to shoot out past 500 yards.