Page 44 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Hey guys so I picked up an axis 2 in 223 and 12fv in 308. How are you guys submitting the rebates online? I filled out all the information and it emailed me something to mail in. I guess I could just mail it in but s&w has lost 2 of my rebates this year and I would like to avoid that if possible. Thank you.

Basic Member
    I had the 10fcp-sr and I did all mine online. Submitted pictures of receipt and end of box. had rebate card sitting in PO Box within 4 weeks.

Basic Member
    6 rebates submitted, 5 approved, 1 Visa card mailed and in hand. It's a slow process....

Basic Member
    Do the 12fv online, ITS EASY. Axis is mail in only, send it insured, which I still need to do.

Savage 12fv bolt question?

Just picked up my brand new Savage 12fv in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looking at the bolt face there is some very minor round marks where the primer is, is that normal? Also there are small brown areas on the bolt face shoulders, almost like that area wasnt polished. Is that normal as well? I assume this is nornal with a savage bolt head but just wanted to make sure.

https://m.imgur.com/sBco7jT

https://m.imgur.com/8ufZazF

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbombo View Post
    Just picked up my brand new Savage 12fv in 6.5 Creedmoor. Looking at the bolt face there is some very minor round marks where the primer is, is that normal? Also there are small brown areas on the bolt face shoulders, almost like that area wasnt polished. Is that normal as well? I assume this is nornal with a savage bolt head but just wanted to make sure.

https://m.imgur.com/sBco7jT

https://m.imgur.com/8ufZazF
    I really don't see anything out of the ordinary. My bolts have the same circular marks where the primer would be located.

Basic Member
    Just ordered this scope for my 12. Wanted to play around with a FFP scope
    https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics.../dp/B071WQSV9J

Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Just ordered this scope for my 12. Wanted to play around with a FFP scope
    https://www.amazon.com/Athlon-Optics.../dp/B071WQSV9J

You won't be disappointed in that scope for that price. I have 2.

Basic Member
    Out of curiosity, are the older 12FV stocks more flimsy than the current production? I got one last month and the stock is pretty rigid. By the way this thing is a shooter! I have some load development to do but the 30 rounds I had previously loaded so far have been sub MOA.

Basic Member
    I thought so. The one I picked up last year seemed more flexible. Just in case, I cleared the channel on the new one just in case. Both of mine are .5 moa guns.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreck-n-Crew View Post
    Out of curiosity, are the older 12FV stocks more flimsy than the current production? I got one last month and the stock is pretty rigid. By the way this thing is a shooter! I have some load development to do but the 30 rounds I had previously loaded so far have been sub MOA.
    My brother got a 300 WSM in a 12FV 6 or 7 years ago and paid $750 for it and it is a heavy gun with a nice stock. I am pretty sure it bears no resemblance to the 12FV that is a cabelas only gun. As far as just the current ones vs the ones a couple years ago... I am not sure, but mine from last fall doesn't have that bad of a stock. It is worlds better than the axis stock, but not as good as an accustock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    My brother got a 300 WSM in a 12FV 6 or 7 years ago and paid $750 for it and it is a heavy gun with a nice stock. I am pretty sure it bears no resemblance to the 12FV that is a cabelas only gun. As far as just the current ones vs the ones a couple years ago... I am not sure, but mine from last fall doesn't have that bad of a stock. It is worlds better than the axis stock, but not as good as an accustock.
    That's exactly my observation. I opened the channel up a little more though it seemed fine and torqued it down good after a trigger adjustment. It's a shooter for sure.

Basic Member
    It's the same stock they have been using for the past few years at least. Depending on application, it is just fine.

Basic Member
    Got my new Boyds Heritage stock on last night! Still need to do a little sanding the barrel channel before bedding it as it had the model 10 cut to it. I also need to shorten the front screw. Anyone know by how much?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Looks nice.

Unless you've already determined the front screw is too long, I 'd say there is likely no need to shorten it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapcrackpop View Post
    I also need to shorten the front screw.
    It will likely be some custom amount. Pull the bolt and look at the bottom of the baffle chamber. It the screw is hitting the bolt you will clearly be able to see it protruding into the chamber. And you should also be able to feel it if your finger is small enough to get in there.

Then start grinding it down until its below the threads....I have done several and it's pretty easy.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Looks nice.

Unless you've already determined the front screw is too long, I 'd say there is likely no need to shorten it.
    It's hitting the bolt now that I have a detachable mag.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Yeah. Do as celltech said keeping in mind there aren't many threads holding it even now. Grind away just enough to allow proper function, no more.

Basic Member
    Here's my savage 12FV, just put on the new choate tactical stock. Votex diamondback 4×12 40mm tactical scope with EGW 20 MOA one piece rail, Harris bipod. Will be throwing on adjustable riser soon and a DBM set-up once I have put my initial 500 rounds of testing through it.

Out of the box first 5 rounds at 100 yard of cheap PPU 55 gr fmj was under 1 MOA. Incredibly good deal for a .223 plinker and saves money compared to the .308.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhappytv View Post
    Here's my savage 12FV, just put on the new choate tactical stock. Votex diamondback 4×12 40mm tactical scope with EGW 20 MOA one piece rail, Harris bipod. Will be throwing on adjustable riser soon and a DBM set-up once I have put my initial 500 rounds of testing through it.

Out of the box first 5 rounds at 100 yard of cheap PPU 55 gr fmj was under 1 MOA. Incredibly good deal for a .223 plinker and saves money compared to the .308.

Cheap 55gn ammo hours -1moa... Must be pretty boring to shoot

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I was sighting in and breaking it in. Plus it makes it more of a challenge at 300 than with pet loads.

Basic Member
    That Boyd's stock looks nice!

Basic Member
    Actually thought about that Chote stock, really tempting.

Basic Member
    I have McMillan, Manners, B&C, Boyds; well just about every traditional stock brand that is produced by a mainstream company and honestly the amount of time, effort and shear PITA it took to not only sand out the stock overall so it didn't have any major flaws and then to more or less do a full inlet job for my the action and finally shorten the pillars so it would fit without binding was simply obscene. I would say the stock was closer to 75% finished than a drop in and if it weren't for the fact I had spent at least 50 hours inletting stocks before hand I would never have been able to get the stock to fit as advertised. I still have slight issues with the fit of the action when torquing the action past 45ft lbs. The only reason I didn't just throw the choate stock in my barrel of old stocks and throw on the McMillan T5A I had laying around was because I wanted to try the stock out and thus I needed to put some rounds through it and use it in some training drills to make an honest assessment for my own personal records.

However a the stock has some great features such as adjustable length of pull with spacers that are extremely solid, sling mounts that are literally a connected through the stock with a solid steel rod so there is no way you will be pulling those out, a solid block that seems well machined to hold the action properly and a great palm swell and specifically for my rifle an incredible overall balance that increases maneuverability significantly even with a 26 inch barrel.

I highly doubt I will ever buy the choate stock again unless it is to be used in a project gun to teach others how to fit a stock to their rifle. Unless you have a rifle that just works well with the choate stock and you personally have held the stock and it felt right to you I would get a Boyd (knowing you will have to bed it or pay for someone to bed it) or a B&C. Although prehaps I got a lemon.

Point is from my experience the stock works but is far from ideal and there are better options that are likely more common for a reason.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Got my approved email yesterday. Submitted 12/2, approved 12/11, now 6 - 8 weeks for the card.
    Email 2:39am today ""Congratulations! Your rebate for the Save On A Savage, Centerfire Fall 2017 promotion has been mailed to the following address." Must have been a LOT of rifles sold during this promotion.