Page 38 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2834353637383940414248 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

I have used Nightforce on both of my 12FV rifles. Very flat, havent gone to trouble to bed them yet, no gap could I detect, but someday this winter will do so.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    For my own non-scientific reasons, I prefer one piece steel scope rails on my bolt receivers. In my local precision events, the rifles and scopes do get handled and banged around a lot amongst all the barriers, rooftops, port holes, etc. Shooters including myself will at times just pick up our rifles from the scope tube itself. I know the steel rail wont go out of alignment versus posibly a similar thin piece of aluminum. Again, non-scientific but one less thing for me to worry about. Anyway, I use a Leupold Mk4 Steel 20moa base and UTG Pro precision rings on this 12FV in 223 and will do the same for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Results at 100 yards from today's break-in using cheap ammo:

What stock are you using there?

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    Warne, EGW, or other quality one-piece cross-slot base (with a 0, 10, 20, or 30 MOA cant depending on what you plan to do with it). I just put a 0-MOA EGW base on my .223 12FV Cabelas Special, as it's my current designated "spend the day sittin' at the bench shooting tight little groups at 300 yards (with a cheap to feed, relatively quiet and recoil free rifle) and BS'ng with the regulars at the range" rifle.

This particular range (15 minutes from my door) has 100/200/300 yard rifle lines, and all rifle shooting is now restricted to the bench (no standing/prone/sitting/kneeling anymore) because of some F-Ups that happened a while back. If they had 400/500/600 lines I'd have installed a 20-MOA base.
    I just got my 12FV in .223 out to the range yesterday for the first time. Only a 100 yard deal though. Shot under MOA with any load I took. How tight are your groups at 2 and 3 hundred yards? Would like to know what to expect!

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    What stock are you using there?
    Bell and Carlson Varmint/Tactical.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Or is it 1/60th of 1 degree

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Yes MOA is one minute of one degree. You have degrees,minutes,seconds and fraction of seconds(behind the decimal.) 1 MOA = 0*1' 0.000" or 1.047" in 100 yards.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Yes MOA is one minute of one degree. You have degrees,minutes,seconds and fraction of seconds(behind the decimal.) 1 MOA = 0*1' 0.000" or 1.047" in 100 yards.
    Right :) took me a minute to remember lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Does anybody know what size the scope mount holes are? 6-48? I purchased a two piece Leupold mount for 10/110. The set came with 8-40 screws that are too big for the holes in the receiver. Figuring out the best scope mount setup for this rifle is turning into a bit of a chore.

Yes size #6-48tpi.

Quote Originally Posted by jetrep View Post
    Does anybody know what size the scope mount holes are? 6-48? I purchased a two piece Leupold mount for 10/110. The set came with 8-40 screws that are too big for the holes in the receiver. Figuring out the best scope mount setup for this rifle is turning into a bit of a chore.
    My holes were loaded with whatever coating was on the gun. Had to order a tap and run it through several times to get the trash out. The screws are still really tight going in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robpiat View Post
    My holes were loaded with whatever coating was on the gun. Had to order a tap and run it through several times to get the trash out. The screws are still really tight going in.
    It was sandblasting media.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Wouldnt a screw push the media through? I destroyed a couple quality torx screws before I gave up and ordered a tap.

Basic Member
    Wouldnt a screw push the media through? I destroyed a couple quality torx screws before I gave up and ordered a tap.
    IDK. I would pick it out with a dental pick or smaller screw

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I've used Talley rings with integrated bases and haven't had any issues with mounting but maybe I got lucky.

In other new just got the email that my 6.5 is in so I'll probably head out tomorrow to pick it up, still waiting on my order confirmation email lol.

Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    I just got my 12FV in .223 out to the range yesterday for the first time. Only a 100 yard deal though. Shot under MOA with any load I took. How tight are your groups at 2 and 3 hundred yards? Would like to know what to expect!

Russellc
    I haven't had time to do a proper range session with it yet. So far, I've just ran a few rounds of the bulk American Eagle 55gr FMJ stuff through it while sighting it in and doing the break in dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy888 View Post
    Yes size #6-48tpi.
    Thanks. I'll report back with my full setup once it's complete in case it can help out anybody else.

Thanks. I'll report back with my full setup once it's complete in case it can help out anybody else.
    I need to do the same....Ordered 10/14, P/U 11/10 at the Hamburg location...
    Sat for awhile deciding on optics, base, and rings...Went with Leupold base, Burris extreme lows rings and Vortex HS-LR 4x16x44 scope.
    Shot zero with Hornady 40gr V-max, Varmints Express...
    Prior to optics, had time to procure single feed ramp and adjust accutrigger just under two pounds pull....Perfect right there...
    Zeroed at 100 yards and looking forward for more happy shooting days.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

I need to do the same....Ordered 10/14, P/U 11/10 at the Hamburg location...
    Sat for awhile deciding on optics, base, and rings...Went with Leupold base, Burris extreme lows rings and Vortex HS-LR 4x16x44 scope.
    Shot zero with Hornady 40gr V-max, Varmints Express...
    Prior to optics, had time to procure single feed ramp and adjust accutrigger just under two pounds pull....Perfect right there...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20171201_1500054_rewind.jpg   IMG_20171201_1449130_rewind.jpg   IMG_20171201_1449224_rewind.jpg  

Mine had trash in the tapped holes as well. A #6 48 tpi bottom tap took care of the problem. It's good practice to check tapped holes this small before trying to install a scope base. It sure doesn't take much to mess up threads on screws this small.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Where did you get the single feed ramp?

Got the email and double check online mine is at the store plan to pick up on Wednesday. And I'm not looking foward to the experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Where did you get the single feed ramp?
    Nevermind. I see you posted in the Single Feed Ramp thread:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Which-ones-fit

No stranger to trashy mods with 10/22s etc. So took my new 12FV and did the Rockite job. Filled and free floated the forend and then addressed the stock. Cut off the butt end of a couple of 10/22 barrels and jammed them in the buttstock of the 12FV then rockited them in. Just a shade under 14lbs, balanced in the hand at the blind magazine. Can't wait to shoot this thing.

I'm picking up my 12FV this Saturday. Any suggestions for a scope? I have a 100 yard range. Thanks!

Nevermind. I see you posted in the Single Feed Ramp thread:

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Which-ones-fit
    If pixs needed, let me know, just installed one and love it...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sazeracjack View Post
    I'm picking up my 12FV this Saturday. Any suggestions for a scope? I have a 100 yard range. Thanks!
    What caliber? What are you going to do with it? What is your budget? Put a cheap 4-12x40 Nikon on it and call it a day...