Page 30 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I kept my factory barrel and hand lapped it (That was a learning experience) but it came out excellent and we put it on my dad's savage and it shoots sub moa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Could you elaborate on the diy hand lapping?

Thanks,
    Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    Could you elaborate on the diy hand lapping?

Thanks,
    Russellc
    Basically you are pouring a custom slug of lead in your Barrel that you form around some type of handle that you can push and pull with and then you coat that slug you've created with a fine lapping compound and you push it through your Barrel over and over until you achieve a mirror finish and smooth out any tight spots in the barrel

Basic Member
    I put the order in, said I can get it Thursday. We will see. I was shopping for a barrel with a faster twist than my 9.25 twist on the .243. This 8 twist 6.5 barrel came with some real good extras

Basic Member
    My latest Savage 12FV in .308 now in hand, rebate emailed in. As soon as it shows "approved" I will wait for it and my original .223
    rebate to arrive. I guess it is time to get a scope for this one, base is on the way. Then the MDT chassis and later, a better barrel.
    It will do fine as is for now of course.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Any have scope alignment issues?

I put on a 20 moa nightforce steel base, vortex tactical rings, and SWFA scope. All loctite and torqued on my 6.5.

The elevation stopped and I could not get it lower. I was still more than 20 inches high at 100 yards.

Going to pull it and check everything and probably try another base, rings, and scope to see. Thats a lot to be off. The scope has plenty of elevation adjustment even with a 20 moa base. I figure it is the rings or base.

But, could be the action/barrel if it were really off... I don't think it is that, but just curious.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    20 inches? You should be able to bore site with the naked eye closer than that and not even have to shoot it. Bore sighting to 20 inches should be very easy to see.

Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Any have scope alignment issues? I put on a 20 moa nightforce steel base, vortex tactical rings, and SWFA scope. All loctite and torqued on my 6.5. The elevation stopped and I could not get it lower. I was still more than 20 inches high at 100 yards. Going to pull it and check everything and probably try another base, rings, and scope to see. Thats a lot to be off. The scope has plenty of elevation adjustment even with a 20 moa base. I figure it is the rings or base.

But, could be the action/barrel if it were really off... I don't think it is that, but just curious.

something is amiss.

Basic Member
    Hahahaha, I am an idiot. It was my nightime scope mounting.

One to laugh at for sure.... And why I never reload at night. I grabbed a medium ring for the back and a low ring for the front. I am an idiot.

Oh well, at least I am not crying. Didn't even mar the scope.

Basic Member
    Hahahaha, I am an idiot. It was my nightime scope mounting.

One to laugh at for sure.... And why I never reload at night. I grabbed a medium ring for the back and a low ring for the front. I am an idiot.

Oh well, at least I am not crying. Didn't even mar the scope.

I thought you had that 20MOA rail on backwards

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Actually, I am glad. Better you than the gun. :)

welderman
    Note to self. Do not buy a used SWFA scope from hereinaz.

Basic Member
    Any have scope alignment issues?

I put on a 20 moa nightforce steel base, vortex tactical rings, and SWFA scope. All loctite and torqued on my 6.5.

The elevation stopped and I could not get it lower. I was still more than 20 inches high at 100 yards.

Going to pull it and check everything and probably try another base, rings, and scope to see. Thats a lot to be off. The scope has plenty of elevation adjustment even with a 20 moa base. I figure it is the rings or base.

I have a similar problem. I also used a 20 MOA base and my Vortex Golden Eagle bottomed out with the POI about 1" above the POA at 100 yards. This isn't a problem for me since my load work up targets have aiming bulls 1.5 MOA below the desired impact area. In other words, it's not a big deal especially since I've got plenty of adjustment for my upcoming match at 600 yards.

But something is definitely wrong and I should take the time to figure it out. When I mounted the scope the other day, I picked what I thought were two matching low rings out of my collection of scope hardware, but I didn't measure them and I didn't double check to make sure they were a matching set. That's gonna' be my next to-do. If that doesn't do it, I'm gonna check to see if somehow my 20 MOA rail is really a 30 MOA rail.

Since this gun will eventually become my 1000 yard gun, perhaps I will just leave things as they are.

Just got the email that my 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor is ready to be picked up. Ready to check it out!

Just got the email that my 12FV 6.5 Creedmoor is ready to be picked up. Ready to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Echo.....Echo.....................Congrats.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welderman View Post
    Note to self. Do not buy a used SWFA scope from hereinaz.
    No kidding... LOL

Got the new rings on it to see what she shoots like.

Basic Member
    I got barely noticeable "heavy bolt lift" and slight ejector marks on some of my brass. Looks like a tight savage chamber at work.

Shooting 130 gr. Federal Match Berger factory loads in my 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor.

I was testing velocity as I broke in barrel. Once I am done I will post the velocities of a few boxes.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    I have a similar problem. I also used a 20 MOA base and my Vortex Golden Eagle bottomed out with the POI about 1" above the POA at 100 yards. This isn't a problem for me since my load work up targets have aiming bulls 1.5 MOA below the desired impact area. .

Since this gun will eventually become my 1000 yard gun, perhaps I will just leave things as they are.
    Nothing's wrong. Very common. Simple issue of not having enough vertical adjustment range due to your 20 moa base when shooting at extremely close range. As you know, 20MOA bases are used to allow you to extend the long range limits of your scope. They can't do that without also limiting their short range limits. Most typical with 1 inch tubes. One reason many shooters choose 30MM. tubes, they have more horizontal and vertical adjustment range.

Cabelas Black Friday ad is up....additional $50.00 instant savings with previous rebate....$150.00 savings...Final price...$269.99
    Only if I had waited a week or two....Maybe another??
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Cabelas Black Friday ad is up....additional $50.00 instant savings with previous rebate....$150.00 savings...Final price...$269.99
    Only if I had waited a week or two....Maybe another??
    Since it has only been a few days, take your receipt in and talk to Customer Service and see if they will refund the sale savings...might be worth a try!

Basic Member
    "Products purchased before or after a sales event are not eligible for reimbursement"......Damn.
    I do like the gun though.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    "Products purchased before or after a sales event are not eligible for reimbursement"......Damn.
    I do like the gun though.
    Lol... I just ordered one:) that will bring my savage/savage based collection to 6

I took my 12 FV 6.5 CM to the range today to sight it in...using Federal, Non Typical Whitetail 140 grain.
    Bolt is hard to lift and very hard to eject.
    Just tried on a few rounds.
    Any Suggestions?
    Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I took my 12 FV 6.5 CM to the range today to sight it in...using Federal, Non Typical Whitetail 140 grain.
    Bolt is hard to lift and very hard to eject.
    Just tried on a few rounds.
    Any Suggestions?
    Thanks for your help.
    Is the bolt getting stuck forward? With the fired round still chambered? Check primary extraction.

Clean chamber, inspect fired brass see if there is a burr in chamber.

On a side note went and finally picked up my 12FV 6.5 today. Upon inspection the bore looks fantastic! Best I’ve seen yet on a factory savage tube. Hopefully it shoots as good as things look. The crown could leave a little to be desired though, it’s pretty darn sharp but no burrs.

Slight discoloration around front of receiver, which seems to be a common and repeating theme here on the forum.

*Bonus. Metal trigger guard. I was thinking it would be plastic!

Lastly. The gun counter salesman was about as bright as tarnished silver. He blathered on abut savages for about 10 minutes trying to tell me all about them. Finally he retrieves the rifle and he went to insert the bolt and had absolutely no idea how to do it. Once I explained to him how that is done on a savage he pushed it home with the rear bolt baffle cocked to the side. I now have a small scrape on the rear tang from contact.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Is the bolt getting stuck forward? With the fired round still chambered? Check primary extraction.

Clean chamber, inspect fired brass see if there is a burr in chamber.

On a side note went and finally picked up my 12FV 6.5 today. Upon inspection the bore looks fantastic! Best I’ve seen yet on a factory savage tube. Hopefully it shoots as good as things look. The crown could leave a little to be desired though, it’s pretty darn sharp but no burrs.

Slight discoloration around front of receiver, which seems to be a common and repeating theme here on the forum.

*Bonus. Metal trigger guard. I was thinking it would be plastic!

Lastly. The gun counter salesman was about as bright as tarnished silver. He blathered on abut savages for about 10 minutes trying to tell me all about them. Finally he retrieves the rifle and he went to insert the bolt and had absolutely no idea how to do it. Once I explained to him how that is done on a savage he pushed it home with the rear bolt baffle cocked to the side. I now have a small scrape on the rear tang from contact.

I removed the barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor today in preparation for a Shilen barrel I ordered from Northland Shooters Supply. Like yours, the barrel looked really good on the inside and I was able to look it over a little better with the barrel off. Whether true or not, I thought to myself that the barrel would have shot well, but I wanted to swap a barrel and I wanted a threaded muzzle for a suppressor.

Does your Creedmoor have the round barrel nut? Of the 3 12FVs I have bought (22-250, 6.5, .308), the Creedmoor is the only one with a round barrel nut. Maybe it is just by chance. I had a .308 on backorder and picked it up last week, and it had a notched barrel nut.

I had somewhat of a similar experience when I picked up my .308 last week. The counter guy decided to install the bolt and he really did not know what he was doing. He finally resorted to placing the muzzle on the floor while he installed the bolt. I was almost about to tell him to let me do it. He finally figured it out, but it was painful to watch. No damage was done from what I can tell. My other 2 12FVs, I installed the bolt, but this guy never gave me the chance.

Next time, I will tell them to let me do it as I want to check it over by installing the bolt.........a nice way to say it.