Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031323339 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Ugh, flyers! 5-shot groups with 3-9 Leopold Rifleman @ 100 yards. Middle & top left is 143eld-x. Bottom left is 140gr Remington core-lokt

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snapcrackpop View Post
    Ugh, flyers! 5-shot groups with 3-9 Leopold Rifleman. Middle & top left is 143eld-x. Bottom left is 140gr Remington core-lokt

Pretty good 500 yard groupings overall though.

Basic Member
    Ugh, flyers! 5-shot groups with 3-9 Leopold Rifleman @ 100 yards. Middle & top left is 143eld-x. Bottom left is 140gr Remington core-lokt

If it's new, I can take some rounds for the barrel to lap in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    If it's new, I can take some rounds for the barrel to lap in

Yes this is the first 19 rounds. The first one at 50 was 1" high then 3 @100 were 4" high.
    Oh I called both flyers...the groups are the same location. 20mph crosswind. Looking forward to 200 yards tomorrow! This is FUN again

Basic Member
    Yes this is the first 19 rounds. The first one at 50 was 1" high then 3 @100 were 4" high.
    Oh I called both flyers...the groups are the same location. 20mph crosswind. Looking forward to 200 yards tomorrow! This is FUN again

That's not bad at all then given the conditions and a new barrel... make sure you don't over heat the barrel:)

Basic Member
    Sweet. Mine, from 9/20 is still in process. An email a week or so ago said expected to ship 11/25....I hope so.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Great, my 9/20 order now shows shipped....

Russellc

I had a kitchen pass to order mine on 10/14/17 and received my confirmed PICK UP 10/30/17.....Heading down Tomorrow to pick up my first Model 12 FV 22-250 Rem....So pumped about this build....Will post pics after complete with new stock and optics....Woo-Hoo

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    I had a kitchen pass to order mine on 10/14/17 and received my confirmed PICK UP 10/30/17.....Heading down Tomorrow to pick up my first Model 12 FV 22-250 Rem....So pumped about this build....Will post pics after complete with new stock and optics....Woo-Hoo
    I love my 22-250... so flat and straight... probably one of the most accurate rounds I've fired... 38 gr of H380 pushing a 55gr hornady soft tip will hit the same hole all day long out to 200 yards

Basic Member
    I love my 22-250... so flat and straight... probably one of the most accurate rounds I've fired... 38 gr of H380 pushing a 55gr hornady soft tip will hit the same hole all day long out to 200 yards

Ted,

Factory barrel? I need to shoot my 22-250. I have it scoped and ready to go, I just need to find the time to shoot it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Ted,

Factory barrel? I need to shoot my 22-250. I have it scoped and ready to go, I just need to find the time to shoot it.
    Yep, factory barrel... It's about time to re barrel it though... I will caution you to keep your loads to the lower ends if you can... the 22.250 is a barrel eater

Basic Member
    Ted,

What I mean to say is you can easily load rounds the clock 4300 fps and ifthats all you shoot you can ware the barrel in no time

Basic Member
    What I mean to say is you can easily load rounds the clock 4300 fps and ifthats all you shoot you can ware the barrel in no time

OK, I have some Hornady 53 gr V-Maxs incrementally loaded with Winchester 748, but not that hot. I decided to try 748 because I read it burns cooler, which tends to help barrel life. I do know brass using 748 ejects from my AR-15s significantly cooler to the touch than brass loaded with other powders, but not sure how that translates to helping barrel life.

Order for 6.5 Creedmoor 12FV that I ordered on 10/16 now shows shipped...can't wait to get my hands on it.

Basic Member
    OK, I have some Hornady 53 gr V-Maxs incrementally loaded with Winchester 748, but not that hot. I decided to try 748 because I read it burns cooler, which tends to help barrel life. I do know brass using 748 ejects from my AR-15s significantly cooler to the touch than brass loaded with other powders, but not sure how that translates to helping barrel life.
    I had some rounds I tested with 748... They did well as long as I stuck with 55 grain bullets. If you have a 1 and 12 Barrel twist you'll probably find that 50 52 53 grain bullets are too light and you won't get the kind of consistency you're looking for. When it was all said and done I settled on h380 because it by far gave me the most accurate results and consistent results but the w748 did pretty good as well as long as I stuck with 55 grain bullets

Basic Member
    Read the story of how h380 got its name you'll get a kick out of it

Basic Member
    Ordered 9/10, picked my 6.5
    today. This my doner, all I wanted is the action, going to build a chassis rifle. My winter project.

Basic Member
    Read the story of how h380 got its name you'll get a kick out of it

I did find out the backstory on the naming........interesting and not what I would have guessed.

I picked up my .308 from Cabela's this morning at around 10:45. I saw one other person picking up his 12FV. I was in and out pretty quick, even with their system they have. I was glad to get that out of the way.

I have noticed something odd about the 12FVs. I have 3 now. I first bought the 22-250 earlier this year.......February I think. I bought a Creedmoor and .308 during this last sale. Even though I ordered it last, I received my Creedmoor almost immediately. And, of course, I just got my hands on the .308. Interestingly, the 22-250 and .308 both have the notched barrel nuts. The Creedmoor has a smooth one.

Basic Member
    I did find out the backstory on the naming........interesting and not what I would have guessed.

I picked up my .308 from Cabela's this morning at around 10:45. I saw one other person picking up his 12FV. I was in and out pretty quick, even with their system they have. I was glad to get that out of the way.

I have noticed something odd about the 12FVs. I have 3 now. I first bought the 22-250 earlier this year.......February I think. I bought a Creedmoor and .308 during this last sale. Even though I ordered it last, I received my Creedmoor almost immediately. And, of course, I just got my hands on the .308. Interestingly, the 22-250 and .308 both have the notched barrel nuts. The Creedmoor has a smooth one.
    That's what got me to try H380 at 38.0 gr lol... and it was best load I've found... I can drive it all the way up to 41gr and I don't lose any accuracy but I stick with 38 gr to conserve powder and barrel :) I think all my savages had the smooth nut but on 2 of them when I went to shilen barrels I also got the precision ground lug and nut.

Basic Member

You'll enjoy the 22-250... A good deal less recoil and accurate by nature

My story on buying the .223. I wanted the .223, the issue though was I live in Ormond Beach FL and the nearest Cabela's is in Augusta GA (5+ hour drive each way) I searched on-line and saw that Augusta location had the .223 in stock. I called them directly and explained my situation and they were able to take my cc info over the phone and do a ffl transfer to my local Bass Pro in Daytona. They did not charge sales tax but I did have to pay a $25 shipping charge and $35 transfer. Still less $$$ than driving 10+ hours (and probably a speeding ticket)

Ordered on 10/31 and picked it up 11/3

Quote Originally Posted by Stifler View Post
    My story on buying the .223. I wanted the .223, the issue though was I live in Ormond Beach FL and the nearest Cabela's is in Augusta GA (5+ hour drive each way) I searched on-line and saw that Augusta location had the .223 in stock. I called them directly and explained my situation and they were able to take my cc info over the phone and do a ffl transfer to my local Bass Pro in Daytona. They did not charge sales tax but I did have to pay a $25 shipping charge and $35 transfer. Still less $$$ than driving 10+ hours (and probably a speeding ticket)

Ordered on 10/31 and picked it up 11/3
    COngrat and welcome to the forum from G-Burg, Penna.....I picked my 12FV in 22-250Rem today and like a kid in a candy store....Awesome...Had a great day with Cabelas and Cigar International next door...Life is good.

Basic Member
    Well horsefeathers. I guess I should be glad, but after calling Cabelas and being informed my shipped gun had not arrived yet, I get home and have the email that it is here and ready for pickup! Oh well, I believe I can get there tomorrow to pick it up. There isnt a round of .308 ammo in the house anyway. I guess I can try to pick some up while I am out there. Now to deal with another rebate approval.

If this is the worse thing that happens, I will consider today a darn good day!

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65Whelen View Post
    Ordered 9/10, picked my 6.5
    today. This my doner, all I wanted is the action, going to build a chassis rifle. My winter project.
    Yeah, me too. I just finished my 6.5mm Creedmoor build and I'm going to the range for the first time later this morning. It's got a 28" Bartlein barrel, lightened Accutrigger, and a modified Boyd's stock. I filled the forearm cavity and magazine well with led shot and epoxy. I was hoping to get the weight over 20 pounds but it wound up a little shy of 17 pounds. I should have used solid lead rather than shot/epoxy.

Now I gotta' find a home for the never-fired Savage factory barrel in .308 caliber.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    Yeah, me too. I just finished my 6.5mm Creedmoor build and I'm going to the range for the first time later this morning. It's got a 28" Bartlein barrel, lightened Accutrigger, and a modified Boyd's stock. I filled the forearm cavity and magazine well with led shot and epoxy. I was hoping to get the weight over 20 pounds but it wound up a little shy of 17 pounds. I should have used solid lead rather than shot/epoxy.

Now I gotta' find a home for the never-fired Savage factory barrel in .308 caliber.
    I kept my factory barrel and hand lapped it (That was a learning experience) but it came out excellent and we put it on my dad's savage and it shoots sub moa.