Page 28 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

I was in my local Cabela's today and they had 1 12fv in stock but told me absolutely NO rebate on this model so I didn't get it.
    How can I be sure I will get the rebate if Cabela's says no way??

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lavahunter View Post
    I was in my local Cabela's today and they had 1 12fv in stock but told me absolutely NO rebate on this model so I didn't get it.
    How can I be sure I will get the rebate if Cabela's says no way??
    The person(s) that told you that is absolutely wrong. Go to their website (link below). It lists the $100 Prepaid Visa Card offer on the page. I and many others have already been approved for the Visa Card. You encountered an incompetent or lazy employee, or perhaps a combination of both, that's all.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAG...4.uts?slotId=0

Because Cabela's is not in charge of the rebates, Savage is. Waiting on my second 12FV to get here, but have already been approved for the rebate on the 12FV I got in Sept.

Basic Member
    initially, I called Savage and they told me it wasn't included, then they called outdoor vista, who is doing the rebate for savage, found out it was included. If you go to the Cabela site and search "Savage 12 FV" it will come up, and show the rebate. Call outdoor vista with any question, their number is on the application for rebate.

Russellc

Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    initially, I called Savage and they told me it wasn't included, then they called outdoor vista, who is doing the rebate for savage, found out it was included. If you go to the Cabela site and search "Savage 12 FV" it will come up, and show the rebate. Call outdoor vista with any question, their number is on the application for rebate.

Russellc
    True, Savage authorized the rebates, but Vista Outdoors is who is actually processing and issuing the VISA Pre-paid cards. Cabela's is just selling the rifles.

https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/

Basic Member
    Thanks guys,
    The Cabela's gun counter guy said the rebate was for the 12FCV, among others, but because it didn't include the 12fv specifically it didn't qualify.
    Think I'll still give it a try.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys,
    The Cabela's gun counter guy said the rebate was for the 12FCV, among others, but because it didn't include the 12fv specifically it didn't qualify.
    No worries for the 12FV on the rebate/Visa Gift Card offer. Below is the email I received for my Creedmoor I purchased in September:

Congratulations! Your rebate for the Savage Centerfire Fall 2017 promotion has been approved.
    Please allow approximately 6-8 weeks to receive your reward.

If you would like to track the status of your submission, please visit: https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/status-lookup

Tracking ID: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Sincerely,
    Savage Promotions

Thanks guys,
    By all means do! One thing to keep in mind and not panick is the rebate process is slooowww!

At least it was in Sept when I submitted my .223 12FV. Took close to a month to get the same same email -NicfromAlabama got. And I am still about a month away from getting my VISA according to their timeline.

I have a feeling with the big shipment of backordered rifles Cabela's just got, they will be flooded with rebate applications, so doubt that will help to speed the process up any!

Basic Member
    Thanks guys,
    I went through the same thing. I called Savage as the 12FV was not in the listing. They told me it wasnt at first. I called back Cabelas to cancel the order, upset since their page said it was included...and they were sounding like they were going to take care of the problem, but Savage called me back and said sorry they called Outdoor vista and were told it was indeed included in the rebate.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    I went through the same thing. I called Savage as the 12FV was not in the listing. They told me it wasnt at first. I called back Cabelas to cancel the order, upset since their page said it was included...and they were sounding like they were going to take care of the problem, but Savage called me back and said sorry they called Outdoor vista and were told it was indeed included in the rebate.

Russellc
    Heck yeah just buy it with Savage you rebarreling with a match-grade barrel and you got you a precision rifle for a fraction of the cost of a custom build

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Picked up my 12FV in .308 yesterday...once again the Cabela's pickup experience is just ridiculous. The amount of computer screens and checks,and re-checks, different managers they go through... I have no idea why they can't figure out how to streamline their internal processes. Anyhow, the gun itself. I think Savage was rushing out this batch of stocks. The forearm to barrel fit is horrible. Looks like a human hair width left on the left side and several millimeter gap on the right. I know it's a cheap stock, but my others have at least been centered. No problem for me as it's going into something aftermarket. Trigger feels great, no creep or grit. Just wipe off the gallon of lube they leave behind and should be good to go!

Basic Member
    The forearm to barrel fit is horrible. Looks like a human hair width left on the left side and several millimeter gap on the right.
    See if you can figure out for sure if it's the stock or something like how the holes are drilled in the action. If it's the action you could take it back and have it replaced or something....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    The forearm to barrel fit is horrible. Looks like a human hair width left on the left side and several millimeter gap on the right.
    Very common with 10/110's.

Long time lurker. First time poster. Thanks for all the great info on this site.

I have three Savages. A 110 in 300win, a 16 in 308, and as of yesterday my 12FV in 6.5cm arrived (I ordered mine on 12 Sep for what it's worth). All of mine have a slight offset as you describe on the forearm spacing. Doesn't affect my accuracy as far as I can tell.

This 12FV is absolutely ridiculous. It is my most accurate rifle by a large margin. No doubt due in part to its hefty weight and low recoil. I have never had an easier time zeroing a rifle. Literally one shot. Shots 2-4 were dead center bull touching at 100. A dime covered the cloverleaf hole.

I couldn't be happier. I may put an AT ONE on it so my 8yo son could shoot with a shorter LOP. But I hate to spend the cost of the rifle on the stock. Especially when it's already so good.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AggieOutlaw View Post
    Long time lurker. First time poster. Thanks for all the great info on this site.

I have three Savages. A 110 in 300win, a 16 in 308, and as of yesterday my 12FV in 6.5cm arrived (I ordered mine on 12 Sep for what it's worth). All of mine have a slight offset as you describe on the forearm spacing. Doesn't affect my accuracy as far as I can tell.

This 12FV is absolutely ridiculous. It is my most accurate rifle by a large margin. No doubt due in part to its hefty weight and low recoil. I have never had an easier time zeroing a rifle. Literally one shot. Shots 2-4 were dead center bull touching at 100. A dime covered the cloverleaf hole.

I couldn't be happier. I may put an AT ONE on it so my 8yo son could shoot with a shorter LOP. But I hate to spend the cost of the rifle on the stock. Especially when it's already so good.
    Welcome to the forum. Your post is making me reconsider my plans for my 12FV Creedmoor. I have pretty much convinced myself to rebarrel it without ever shooting it. I would like a threaded barrel for my suppressor, so I figured I would take off the existing barrel and buy one with a threaded muzzle and sell of the existing barrel. Decisions decisions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Your post is making me reconsider my plans for my 12FV Creedmoor. I have pretty much convinced myself to rebarrel it without ever shooting it. I would like a threaded barrel for my suppressor, so I figured I would take off the existing barrel and buy one with a threaded muzzle and sell of the existing barrel. Decisions decisions.
    You can't beat a savage for the money... sufficient to excellent out of the box and a precision rifle is not more than a barrel swap away. I took the 11 trophy hunter .308 and changed to better stock and shilen barrel and now it's better than .5 MOA rifle. That's a picture of her and 8 shots at 200 yards... first 4 were tuning the scope... last 4 were all through the bullseye..

Basic Member
    Ted,

With your posts, I have pretty much decided I want to try a barrel swap. I almost called NSS about a barrel last week, but figured I would wait a bit and think it over. I will most likely see about ordering one this week, tomorrow perhaps. In addition to having something a bit better than factory, I really want to install a barrel too. I already have the rifle in a HS Precision stock that I already owned, so I might as well go all the way.

Basic Member
    Ted,

With your posts, I have pretty much decided I want to try a barrel swap. I almost called NSS about a barrel last week, but figured I would wait a bit and think it over. I will most likely see about ordering one this week, tomorrow perhaps. In addition to having something a bit better than factory, I really want to install a barrel too. I already have the rifle in a HS Precision stock that I already owned, so I might as well go all the way.
    I don't think you will be disappointed... I went with the best shilen, the select match... they have 2 lower grade that from what I read are still really accurate barrels just less lapping... they also have criterion drop ins for the savage... I'm building a 6.5 creedmore on a savage target action now... I can't wait to get her done. :)

Basic Member
    Ted,

And definitely take your time with it. Get the tools you need and go slow and have fun with it

Basic Member
    Ted,

I have to go slow. I tend to screw up things bad enough, even when I take my time. I have flip flopped back and forth between Shilen and Criterion. Interestingly, I noticed on the NSS site that the Shilen barrels have a throat to dummy round option. I was ignorant of what that meant until I searched. Apparently, you can send in a dummy round with the bullet seated to the COAL you like and they will ream it to that length. Did you do that for your barrel? I'm not too particular, but I do not want the chamber long throated, as I want to have the ability to load to the lands.

Basic Member
    Ted,

I have to go slow. I tend to screw up things bad enough, even when I take my time. I have flip flopped back and forth between Shilen and Criterion. Interestingly, I noticed on the NSS site that the Shilen barrels have a throat to dummy round option. I was ignorant of what that meant until I searched. Apparently, you can send in a dummy round with the bullet seated to the COAL you like and they will ream it to that length. Did you do that for your barrel? I'm not too particular, but I do not want the chamber long throated, as I want to have the ability to load to the lands.
    No, I did not get it reamed to my cases... as it turns out there savage barrels have VERY tight specs the way they are. I measured the ogive and it was almost identical to the factory savage barrel which was very tight. I load for it just like I did before... I contemplated the custom team buy as it turns out I'm just as happy I didnt

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    No, I did not get it reamed to my cases... as it turns out there savage barrels have VERY tight specs the way they are. I measured the ogive and it was almost identical to the factory savage barrel which was very tight. I load for it just like I did before... I contemplated the custom team buy as it turns out I'm just as happy I didnt

OK. I am happy with the COAL on the current factory barrel as I have plenty of room to load longer down the road and still hit the lands if desired.....and with plenty of magazine room. A hundredth less or so wouldn't be a bad thing, but if I got the same setup with the Shilen, I would be happy. Thanks.

Basic Member
    OK. I am happy with the COAL on the current factory barrel as I have plenty of room to load longer down the road and still hit the lands if desired.....and with plenty of magazine room. A hundredth less or so wouldn't be a bad thing, but if I got the same setup with the Shilen, I would be happy. Thanks.
    No problem... I believe the shilen and criterion drop ins are reamed as close to savage specs as possible. Since savage uses the "zero tolerance" headspace approach, all you need to do is use the clymer go/No go gauge set and you have a very tight sammi spec barrel with makes even factory ammo work pretty good.. like on mine, I only have to move the shoulders back .002 on a neck resize... this really minimizes the stress on your cases.. savage did it right with their chambers and floating bolt head

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Picked up my 12FV in .308 yesterday...once again the Cabela's pickup experience is just ridiculous. The amount of computer screens and checks,and re-checks, different managers they go through... I have no idea why they can't figure out how to streamline their internal processes. Anyhow, the gun itself. I think Savage was rushing out this batch of stocks. The forearm to barrel fit is horrible. Looks like a human hair width left on the left side and several millimeter gap on the right. I know it's a cheap stock, but my others have at least been centered. No problem for me as it's going into something aftermarket. Trigger feels great, no creep or grit. Just wipe off the gallon of lube they leave behind and should be good to go!
    Sounds identical. My stock is scratched on the right side in the magazine area, but oh well.
    I wasn't bothered by the paperwork; Cabela's is a big company so I expected as much. Just gave me time to shop...
    Hope to shoot it to 25-50 yards tonight & 100-200 tomorrow.!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I just checked the status of my .308 ordered on 09/13/2017. It said shipped. As soon as I checked it, an email from Cabela's popped up stating my order was ready to pick up. Weird.