Page 22 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Negan

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    Funny that you mention the different web page layouts. When I was watching the Cabelas inventory (with Chrome) I was viewing the page that you described with the drop down menu for the specific chambering. That's where I could see that there were 6 6.5Creeds available at one time, etc. Two days after I ordered the rifle, my browser now takes me to the other page (with the chart listing all of the chamberings at once), even though I'm still using Chrome. Not sure what changed........

I noticed that at well and guess what now there are two available. So, where on earth are these at? If anyone can order them online and have it sent to their local store why can't they start filling backorders? There are guys/gals that have been waiting longer than I!

Basic Member
    I think some of us are too concerned about who gets their gun sooner than others. No one is making any money on this deal, in fact, they are losing money on it. Expecting Cabelas and Savage to manage inventory and distribution both efficiently and "fairly" (as in I was NEXT) is a bit absurd. Be glad you were able to place an order and know it will arrive in a reasonable amount of time. It does not matter if a person called and asked a customer service rep how they will be shipped (givie first, absolute priority to those who ordered first) or if a person behind the counter speculated abput ETA. Every gun ordered will be built and delivered in a reasonable fashion.

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I think some of us are too concerned about who gets their gun sooner than others. No one is making any money on this deal, in fact, they are losing money on it. Expecting Cabelas and Savage to manage inventory and distribution both efficiently and "fairly" (as in I was NEXT) is a bit absurd. Be glad you were able to place an order and know it will arrive in a reasonable amount of time. It does not matter if a person called and asked a customer service rep how they will be shipped (givie first, absolute priority to those who ordered first) or if a person behind the counter speculated abput ETA. Every gun ordered will be built and delivered in a reasonable fashion.
    I see what you mean and I do very much appreciate this opportunity. It is Cabela's prerogative to offer what they want and instead of making promises they could have just said, "we don't have an ETA" and I would have happily waited quietly. In this day and age though inventory management and keeping this level of accuracy is not absurd its a minimum standard. For the record, the Cabela's rep I spoke with was very concerned that orders were not being filled in order. She explained that the system is designed to do so and it is their own desire to keep this level of quality assurance.

As an aside, my persistence has paid off as they have reworked my order to include one of the ones that was showing as available this morning. They also had no idea that Chrome was showing actual quantities of their limited stock. She stated they do not put this online. They also were not aware that orders were being filled out of sequence. You may not agree with my insistence on getting to the bottom of this but in the end Cabela's and I both benefited. I will be receiving my rifle in 5-8 days and they learned(or perhaps I reconfirmed) of an issue with their site when using Chrome and potentially with their order filling software.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.

Basic Member
    I don't doubt they intend to fulfill orders a certain way. I doubt they will or should put forth the effort to ensure it's accomplished to the degree you seem to be expecting. Raising the issue here on the forum and pointing out every single piece of evidence that shows there are some stragglers out there that COULD be sent to you before someone else does not help make them serve us any better. It's just NOISE. They will get the guns out and everything will be fine. Some will get their's ahead of others, but who the heck cares? It ain't that big of a deal. What matters is that they shoot and function well. Finally, you do realize, don't you, that Savage is not affiliated with this forum?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    Thanks. Hopefully yours will come sooner rather than later. There's even a bit more luck involved with my rifle. Last month I'd attempted to get a Howa 1500 barreled action for a great price. The FFL guy I was using kept jerking me around and the order ended up not being placed. Finally got my $ back from the FFL guy last week (while I was watching this thread and the Cabelas site......thinking about how I'd wished I could order the Savage).

The $100 off sale price AND the $100 rebate made the net price less than I'd put down for the Howa. Got my $ back and was then able to order the 12FV just in the nick of time. I'll get a Howa action (through my 'new' FFL guy) sometime later. For now, I'll be enjoying this 12FV (and then the rebate card) when they arrive.:thumbsup:

Cabelas charged me $26.45 in sales tax as the rifle was going to a retail store (Reno, NV). I talked to the Reno folks and they said they'd take the $25 it's gonna take to ship my rifle to my FFL guy (from the $26.45 tax that they charged) and will refund the remaining $1.45 to me. My 'new' FFL guy correctly told me to talk to the Reno folks about the sales tax, since he was going to have to charge me Ca state sales tax when I take possession of the rifle from him. At least that means that I've already paid for the shipping, and won't have to make a separate payment for it to get the rifle headed to my FFL guy....
    I called Cabelas about them charging me Alabama state tax when I'm out of state and DONT even have a cabelas in my state and some female dog gave me some spill on federal law and bla bla bla. I told that you know what that you DO NOT have to pay taxes to a business that is not in your state on an online sale. And I highly doubt those funds are routed to that state when it already paid for online and shipped from there corporate warehouse. Any who I called the next day to ask a nice gentleman if he could ship my 12FV directly to my dealer so I wouldn't have to pay another states tax and he kindly sent me a $30 cabellas cash card since that's how much it was going to cost to ship it from that store to my FLL. He said they are working on getting setup to ship directly to your dealer but can't at the moment like the previous heffer told me. :)

sdrookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    I see what you mean and I do very much appreciate this opportunity. It is Cabela's prerogative to offer what they want and instead of making promises they could have just said, "we don't have an ETA" and I would have happily waited quietly. In this day and age though inventory management and keeping this level of accuracy is not absurd its a minimum standard. For the record, the Cabela's rep I spoke with was very concerned that orders were not being filled in order. She explained that the system is designed to do so and it is their own desire to keep this level of quality assurance.

As an aside, my persistence has paid off as they have reworked my order to include one of the ones that was showing as available this morning. They also had no idea that Chrome was showing actual quantities of their limited stock. She stated they do not put this online. They also were not aware that orders were being filled out of sequence. You may not agree with my insistence on getting to the bottom of this but in the end Cabela's and I both benefited. I will be receiving my rifle in 5-8 days and they learned(or perhaps I reconfirmed) of an issue with their site when using Chrome and potentially with their order filling software.

Thanks again and have a good weekend.
    Wait a sec. Are you saying that Cabela's is now going to get rid of the items in stock option that was showing up? Due to your updating them on the situation?

This whole process has me scratching my head. When I placed my order the 6.5 was in stock in my local store(at least per online) the next nearest cabelas is still showing stock of the 6.5CM. So far crickets chirping regarding the order. On a side note cabelas did send me a survey to complete regarding the purchase.

still curious if the 12fv has the old style firing pin? Guess I'll find out when my rifle arrives

Basic Member
    ^^^ As of a month ago, it uses the old style everything.

I missed out on the sale but still plan on picking one of these up in the near future. I was debating the 6.5 creedmoor but since those all seem pretty backordered I was thinking maybe 223 since I have a suppressor for that caliber and have never used that on a bolt action rifle. This will be my first savage rifle but from everything I hear these are pretty sweet for the price. Does anyone have any input whether the 223 would make for a decent suppressor host or should I just put in for the 6.5 Creedmoor? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossdawg View Post
    I missed out on the sale but still plan on picking one of these up in the near future. I was debating the 6.5 creedmoor but since those all seem pretty backordered I was thinking maybe 223 since I have a suppressor for that caliber and have never used that on a bolt action rifle. This will be my first savage rifle but from everything I hear these are pretty sweet for the price. Does anyone have any input whether the 223 would make for a decent suppressor host or should I just put in for the 6.5 Creedmoor? Thanks in advance.
    I don't know that it matters what caliber you choose? With the caveat that you seem to be set up for a 223 already. Other than that I would compare the ballistics between the two and see what suits you best.

I believe the $100 gift card promotion from Vista still applies.

^^^ As of a month ago, it uses the old style everything.
    Thanks! I like the old style better, hopefully they haven't "upgraded" that yet.

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrookie View Post
    Wait a sec. Are you saying that Cabela's is now going to get rid of the items in stock option that was showing up? Due to your updating them on the situation?
    I am not so sure it was a true situation or that anything will be changed. I think that whomever I spoke with informed me that they didn't put specific quantities online and highly doubted it was accurate in terms of it saying " 2 remaining" I highly doubt they would get rid of the general updates such as "limited supply" "in-stock" "backorder" etc.

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Thanks! I like the old style better, hopefully they haven't "upgraded" that yet.

I am curious what the differences are from the old vs. the new

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    I am curious what the differences are from the old vs. the new
    Old style utilizes a full length spring with threaded and adjustable firing pin.

Newer (axis style) is non adjustable with rear mounted spring.

Basic Member
    ^^^^ 1. Slotted barrel nut
    2. adjustable firing pin
    3. No cocking indicator (when cocked, firing pin does not pass thru the bolt assembly screw). The old style is better because it allowed for lift kits which reduced effort needed to cock the rifle.
    4. top bolt release

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossdawg View Post

You might be planning to thread the barrel or swap it. But, in case you didn't know, the 12FV models do not have threaded muzzles.

Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    You might be planning to thread the barrel or swap it. But, in case you didn't know, the 12FV models do not have threaded muzzles.
    Yeah I realize they were not threaded and would have it threaded. A person replied earlier and said it would be better to figure which round would suit my needs better so maybe I will have to do some thinking along that route. Thank you.

I really appreciate the price and realize nobody is making any money on this but I expect both companies to manage inventory and distribution both efficiently and fairly. If they can't do that then they will have issues in other parts of their businesses. I don't own VSTO or CAB but I'm thinking about buying them. I want them to be a well run company with the ability to deliver in all areas.

Basic Member
    ^^^I can't believe I am continuing with this this, but here I go...

What diference does it make if someone gets their rifle a week before I do? They were purchased as "backordered". No one is being denied anything. Why would I, as a customer or stockholder, want the company to waste money, effort and resources to ensure every product ordered and/or sold is delivered on a first-come, first served basis? THere are so MANY OTHER ways to provide quality customer service that are actually MEANINGFUL. I would agree IF some orders were gonna be refused. Delayed is another matter altogether. We're becoming a society of demanding, snivling whiny-butts that want something for nothing and when it's finally offered for dang near nothing, we want it delivered on a silver platter and we want to be treated like we are something special, when, in fact, we are not (in this regard). Geez oh-Pete! When will the entitlement attitude end?

Put another way: Pick your battles. This hill ain't worth fighting for.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johanson View Post
    I really appreciate the price and realize nobody is making any money on this but I expect both companies to manage inventory and distribution both efficiently and fairly. If they can't do that then they will have issues in other parts of their businesses. I don't own VSTO or CAB but I'm thinking about buying them. I want them to be a well run company with the ability to deliver in all areas.
    I respectfully have to disagree with statements that no one is making money on this. I don't think for one second they would be selling them at the $319.99 sale price and with the Visa offer if they were losing money. I think it would be more accurate to say, they aren't making as much money per rifle running this sale. But, I think their idea is to make up for it in volume. I think we have been used to paying higher prices for firearms for the last several years and just have a hard time believing that we can actually buy a rifle of this type at this price. To me, it somewhat shows what is costs to produce this rifle and how much profit there can be when times are good and rifles are selling normally.........not that I am against anyone making a profit, because that's what they're in the business to do. I feel like this sale is one way the businesses are dealing with lagging sales, which is good for us.

^^^ The stevens 200 line use to sell for about this same price IIRC. Actually from what I understand the Stevens 200 receivers where somewhat better than the 'Savage' counterpart of the operation due to polishing etc that distorted tolerances. At least I remember reading that once. Not sure if there is any truth to that and I haven't personally verified.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I respectfully have to disagree with statements that no one is making money on this. I don't think for one second they would be selling them at the $319.99 sale price and with the Visa offer if they were losing money. I think it would be more accurate to say, they aren't making as much money per rifle running this sale. But, I think their idea is to make up for it in volume. I think we have been used to paying higher prices for firearms for the last several years and just have a hard time believing that we can actually buy a rifle of this type at this price. To me, it somewhat shows what is costs to produce this rifle and how much profit there can be when times are good and rifles are selling normally.........not that I am against anyone making a profit, because that's what they're in the business to do. I feel like this sale is one way the businesses are dealing with lagging sales, which is good for us.

How much profit could Cabelas possibly make on this sale? When it comes time to pick it up, pay attention to how much time and attention it requires of the employees just to perform the NICs check and complete the 4473, inspect the paperwork for completeness and accuracy, ring you up and get the gun out the door. Add to that the resources devoted to acquiring the product and distributing to the various stores and the customer service reps handling calls like these "Where is mine?" calls. No, I don't think they are making a profit on this one. If they are, it isn't much. Let's see how soon they offer such a deal as this again.

^^^I can't believe I am continuing with this this, but here I go...

What diference does it make if someone gets their rifle a week before I do? They were purchased as "backordered". No one is being denied anything. Why would I, as a customer or stockholder, want the company to waste money, effort and resources to ensure every product ordered and/or sold is delivered on a first-come, first served basis? THere are so MANY OTHER ways to provide quality customer service that are actually MEANINGFUL. I would agree IF some orders were gonna be refused. Delayed is another matter altogether. We're becoming a society of demanding, snivling whiny-butts that want something for nothing and when it's finally offered for dang near nothing, we want it delivered on a silver platter and we want to be treated like we are something special, when, in fact, we are not (in this regard). Geez oh-Pete! When will the entitlement attitude end?

Put another way: Pick your battles. This hill ain't worth fighting for.
    I have no emotion tied to when I receive my rifles. I bought because it was a good deal. If I receive the last one 3 months from now, it wouldn't bother me. I've already bought 3 other firearms this year and the R700 I recently purchased has been costing me enough that I'd rather not have to glass two more rifles. My issue with the way they MAY be underperforming is delivery. As a potential owner of both company's stock, I'm looking for upside potential. This could hinder that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    ^^^ The stevens 200 line use to sell for about this same price IIRC. Actually from what I understand the Stevens 200 receivers where somewhat better than the 'Savage' counterpart of the operation due to polishing etc that distorted tolerances. At least I remember reading that once. Not sure if there is any truth to that and I haven't personally verified.
    Stevens was a good gun and good value, for sure. But this is a better gun than the Stevens 200 was. Better stock, finish, barrel. and other costs to operate a business have gone up since then. In my opiniion, the 12fv for $419 is more comparable in price/value/cost/profit etc. AND, Savage never offered $100 rebate on the Stevens 200. Keep in mind, this is a Cabelas EXCLUSIVE. If Savage includes the 12fv in the rebate, Cabelas took a hit as well, I am sure.

Basic Member
    This doesn't mean diddly. They haven't dropped the ball in any respect, shape or form. I am a customer. A good customer. I have bought well over 100 guns from Cabelas the last few years and I am a stock holder. As such, I don't want them to spend 1 penny trying to make this deal run any smoother for anyone. Suggesting that a customer in Boise was delayed a rifle when another customer in Boston got one before him even though the Boston dude ordered his a day later is indicative of poor service, inability to deliver fairly, efficiently and effectively is absurd. A whole generation of snivling brats with no sense of whats important is taking over this country. I am saddened to see it among a community of gun enthusiasts.