Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Banned

I got a 12FV, put it in a Boyds Thumbholes stock and never looked back (and the fit is perfect, I did a very small amount of rear relief)

While I wanted a better barrel, I was getting some 3/8 and 1/2 groups out of the Savage barrel. It was not consistent, but I did not do a lot of load development with it either.

Quality wise it stacks up fine with the older 111 I got in 30-06. Nut is still serving good service on another gun.

Put the left over money into some good glass. I have done really well with used Cabella Alaska Guide scopes. One I got in 20x. Something about the cross hairs suits my eyeball.

Great insight. Thanks

i now have three of the 12 fvs. they all shoot 1/2 inch 5 shot groups with handloads, off sand bags or a variety of rests.

the stock is a well known problem, perhaps 'mostly' when using a bipod (which i have not even attempted on these stock rifles). all three i have added about 20 oz of weight in the buttstock. The front screw will retain torque (45 inch/lb) however the rear will creep by deforming the stock web inside (25 in/lb) Now for the other problems i have encountered:

one rifle i inadvertently put in a case with wet foam liner. it got forgotten for a day... a DAY... and there was rust on the bbl which when judiciously removed left bare spots making the bbl looking 'measled'.

one online ordered rifle i rejected at the cabela's gun counter because of rust in the chamber. inspect carefully before doing the 4473!

one rifle (the 22-250) has a burr in the chamber that leaves an impression on the shoulder of the brass. the rifle shoots fine. i guess the plus side is i can track the number of reloads of each piece of brass from counting the impressions.

but, they sure shoot for a $400 rifle. my $o.o2
    Last edited by chop house; 08-23-2017 at 01:42 PM. Reason: typo... is "in/lb"
    another remmy escapee... might be a savage for the next half century,

Basic Member

Cabelas 12FV $319

Sep 7-20

Darn. I just bought one. I'm getting a Creedmore this time.

Basic Member
    Where did you find this?

I see Cabelas' page for the 12FV seems to indicate that there is a $100 rebate, but none of the current promotions on Savage's site would seem to apply.

Basic Member
    The rebate is incorrect...if you look at the link it's actually $150 off the 10 BA models. I talked to Cabela's on-line agents and they are trying to get it fixed. I just bought a 12FV in .22-250 and am wondering if I should cancel it and wait a few days. I can't figure out how this guy knows they are going on sale. They were just marked down to $369 a couple of months ago.

Basic Member
    It is correct. The rebate is offered through Cabelas via vistapromotions. I just bought one and the rebate offer worked. Plus 5% off my total order to boot. It shows the 12s fall in the rebate on the sales slip for the rebate they give you to collect it.

Basic Member
    And if you go to giftcardgranny.com or raise.com you can buy gift cards at 8 to 12% savings. You can use the e-card for in store purchases, don't have to be a plastic card.
    So let's do the math. 12+5=17% X $419 = $71.23, plus the $100 rebate for a total of $171.23 off the $419 price. Total cost is $247.77 plus your local taxes (on the $419). That's a pretty good deal for a notoriously good shooting bolt action gun.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    And if you go to giftcardgranny.com or raise.com you can buy gift cards at 8 to 12% savings. You can use the e-card for in store purchases, don't have to be a plastic card.
    I picked up $300 worth of cards on e-bay at a 20% discount and then another $100 on giftcardgranny at 15% off... I really hope the $100 rebate is true as it would be a spectacular deal.

RP12, do you have a link to the rebate? Was yours an online thing, or is there some pdf file showing it?

Basic Member
    Google vistaoutdoor promotions and follow the steps. I took pictures of my rebate receipt and box end cap and filed on line.

Banned
    This is killing me. I have enough guns, I have enough cartridge types, then this keeps popping up.

Maybe buy one and stuff it into the closest until I retire. Dang.

Basic Member
    So I'll be damned...just got back from Cabela's and sure enough, just as RP12 stated, there is $100 rebate form included with the receipt. *But* it says it's for a 12FCV, not a 12FV, so it will be interesting to see if it goes through. You can find it at https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/brands/4/10

The rebate is processed all online and you only need upload some pics of the receipt and UPC code, etc. By the time it's all said and done the rifle will hopefully only cost me ~$250....one hell of a deal!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    So I'll be damned...just got back from Cabela's and sure enough, just as RP12 stated, there is $100 rebate form included with the receipt. *But* it says it's for a 12FCV, not a 12FV, so it will be interesting to see if it goes through. You can find it at https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/brands/4/10

The rebate is processed all online and you only need upload some pics of the receipt and UPC code, etc. By the time it's all said and done the rifle will hopefully only cost me ~$250....one hell of a deal!
    It does work for the 12FV. The reply from them was " enjoy your reward"

Basic Member
    Tomorrow starts the sale on the 12FVs for $319.99, no rebate needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Tomorrow starts the sale on the 12FVs for $319.99, no rebate needed.
    Wait, does the vista promotion still apply?

Basic Member
    Well, I didn't start a rumor. I just bought a 12FV in 6.5CM for $319.99. My final cost after tax, military discount and using 15%off gift cards was $275. That caliber is backorder though. The rebate flag is still on the online listing. I called earlier this week and they said that was an error and they were trying to fix it. I don't know if it will work.

Basic Member

HEADS UP - GREAT DEALS; Savage 12FV at Cabela's

I was killing time on Cabela's website, and they have a pretty crazy deal on the Savage 12 FV rifles right now. They're on sale for $319 and Savage is offering a $100 rebate. I called the rebate company to confirm the model is eligible, and it was.

I just thought I'd share in case anyone is looking for a donor or anything else. I'm contemplating putting a .308 into a Choate for F/TR starter rig.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAG...LE/1994604.uts

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Wait, does the vista promotion still apply?
    Yes the 100 dollar rebate still applies. I just bought another one final price $217.00

Basic Member
    I feel like a crack whore and Cabela's is throwing rocks at me... I need another one like I need a hole in my head....so I wonder what caliber I should get :-)

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    I feel like a crack whore and Cabela's is throwing rocks at me... I need another one like I need a hole in my head....so I wonder what caliber I should get :-)
    Lmfao. ��I feel the same way. Cabelas is four hours away. I feel like I need to jump in the car at 2:00 a.m. To be there for the doors to open. $219 is just too cheap! Haven't seen those prices since the last of the Stevens 200 line!

Ordered a .308 yesterday, salesman said I could refuse it if the rebate was not in effect. Customer service told me to bring in my receipt and I may get an adjustment on monday's purchase. Will report back after I take the receipt in. Chris

sdrookie
    So a couple questions for those who may know.

Can backorderable rifles be ordered and paid for in store? Online?

What time line would be realistic to expect the 6.5 Creedmoor to be delivered?

Trying to decide between .308 and 6.5, but sure would like to have the rifle for deer season in November.

Thank you, sdrookie

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdrookie View Post
    So a couple questions for those who may know.

Can backorderable rifles be ordered and paid for in store? Online?

What time line would be realistic to expect the 6.5 Creedmoor to be delivered?

Trying to decide between .308 and 6.5, but sure would like to have the rifle for deer season in November.

Thank you, sdrookie

I paid for mine online and I don't see an option to pay in store...you might want to call them. My 1st rifle in .223 was backordered and took maybe 2 weeks to come in. I personally think you would get the 6.5 in plenty of time.

But for deer season? Do you really want to lug this beast around the woods or are you shooting them off your back porch? It's quite the chunk of steel...

sdrookie
    Ha! I put my hands on one at a local gun shop. They are a hefty piece of equipment.

I am entering nursing school in January so need to be reasonable with my finances. My wife and I would like to put together a reasonable long distance setup, and this fits the bill. I have a Boyd's Pro-Varmint with a Karstens cheek rest that will fit this rifle. I won't have to use it forever, probably just this year, but I would like to get started putting it together. The responsible thing to do is sell my current rifle to finance this one.

Thanks for responding. I believe I will purchase tonight. Still unsure of caliber. I have a pile of once fired .308 brass, a suitable press, and could easily reload, which tends me to think .308 is the way to go.

But, how will I look to all the 6.5 cool kids if I'm shooting an old guy caliber? :)