Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

I just saw that myself.. placed an order for mine today. For the sale price of $369, figured it would be great for the money. Can't wait for it to arrive and test her out.

Basic Member
    Got mine today.... was surprised it had a jeweled bolt! Also noticed the action had a slight finish blemish.. odd, but I guess it's no big deal. Can't wait to shoot this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I ordered mine yesterday.

I would totally take credit for coming up with the the idea of a 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor almost a year ago:

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    A fast twist .243 Winchester or a 6.5 Creedmoor would make it an ideal long range starter rifle. Well, it'd still need a cheek rest, but it would still be a better starter unit than the RPR or Stealth.
    But RatMag beat me to it by almost a year!

Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    I wish they would build these in .243Win and 6.5Creed!! They wouldn't be able to keep any in the stores!!

DK
    This is good news for shooters. I already recommended a 12FV in .308 to a friend who was looking to start shooting long range. A 6.5 Creed version would be even better.

Basic Member
    This will be an amazing long range rig. Almost enough to make me buy one. What a steal!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kanaga
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHuntr View Post
    Got mine today.... was surprised it had a jeweled bolt! Also noticed the action had a slight finish blemish.. odd, but I guess it's no big deal. Can't wait to shoot this thing!
    I noticed on Cabela's website that the description states heavy barrel on every caliber except for the 6.5 creedmoor. Does it have the heavy barrel also?

Basic Member
    Yes, 26" heavy Varmint contour

kanaga
    Awesome! I ordered one yesterday. At that price, I wanted it even if they had skimped out on the barrel. I'm glad to hear that they didn't.

Basic Member
    Don't worry about the blemish on the plastic stock. You need to throw that stock away and buy something decent like a Bell and Carlson Style 2 or 5.

Basic Member

Basic Member
    The barrel, trigger, and action on the 12FV is much, much better than the Axis. The scope included in that Axis package is a throwaway. Skip the Axis and get the 12FV. I have owned both and know of what I speak.
    Last edited by indianasavage; 07-16-2017 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Add

Basic Member
    Indianasavage.. Yeah, the stock will get upgraded at some point... but the action is blemished, not the stock. It's odd... not that noticeable but there is clearly a ring around the action that is "rougher"

Does anyone know what the twist rate of the 6.5 CM is??

Chart at bottom of link says 1 in 8.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shoot...le/1994604.uts
    Mike

Dang. I wish that Cabelas carried the 12FLV (left hand versions), and at a similar price. Great way to get cheap varmint weight barreled actions to put in a good stock or a chassis.

Basic Member
    Could not resist and ordered one in .223 this morning. I just enjoy shooting my other small caliber guns more than the larger ones. So I am already thinking about a replacement stock and it seems there have been a few variations over the years. For those who just got one, what style trigger guard are they coming with, flat bottom or kinda U shaped with a tab off to the side? It seems like the Boyd's are made for the flat bottom guard...but what about B&C? I really don't want to order a stock and start having to mill it out...

Basic Member
    For the price it would be hard to beat. Over time the cost of upgrades could still be cheaper than buying a complete gun and would be what someone wanted when they are done. I had a 12fv in .204 ruger and it was an accurate gun. I used it as a donor when I thought it was shot out and came out money ahead if i would have just bought an action and built off of it.

I missed out on the 6.5since there was no info if it was a heavy barrel but I'm satisfied with the 308 since I have a load of ammo.but this 12FV sure is front heavy so I'll be looking for a new stock but can't determine if this is staggered or center feed I measured the bolts at the bottom at 4.5 does that sound about right ? And as for my Stevens 200 in 308 I'll keep it....

All new (last decade or so?) short actions are centerfeed.

Basic Member
    Top bolt release and a keyed nut? Why can't they make up their mind?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FV12 models from Cabela's

I like the 12 BVSS in .223, but its pricey. I'm debating weather to get it, or the $420 fv12 from Cabela's and put it in a Boyds stock. This would save about $300. Other than the finish, are the barrels and actions made for big box retailers just as good and accurate as Savages high end models? Thanks.

Basic Member
    As you stated the finish is just a matte black and does not seem all that tough. But other than that it's the same action, and the barrel is as thick as they come. Although compared to the BVSS it's not fluted or stainless. I guess another limiting feature is the blind magazine so you can't hold that many rounds. You can also buy Cabelas gift cards online and save yourself another ~14%. I really wish they made the FV in .243 or had a .22-250 with a tighter twist rate...

On the plus side, the 12FV is now chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    next $420 i can spare will buy me a 12FV in 6.5 creedmore, now that should be a sweet gun.....

Basic Member
    I have both of the 223 models you are writing about, and I can tell you that the BVSS is a much higher quality firearm than the inexpensive FV. But both shoot very small groups, the difference between the two is the BVSS, beside being made from Stainless Steel, seems to have benefited from tighter quality control. Parts fit better, action is smoother, the wood stock is far superior for varmint or target shooting and is better balanced than the plastic FV stock.

If you're a handy, craftsman type of guy, you can use the FV as the basis to built a nice shooting and handling weapon however, it'll still be a bit nose heavy compared to the BVSS due to the lack of barrel fluting.

Dollar for dollar, the FV is about half the price of the BVSS, if you look around for a deal. My BVSS cost $750 new from a local dealer and that was only a bit over 2 years ago, during a period of very high prices. But for all things considered, fit, finish, base material, stock and fluting, the BVSS is at least twice the value as the FV, IMOP, especially when you consider barrel upgrades later and changing calibers.

In the final assessment, the BVSS is superior as a varmint and target platform, whereas the FV can be made into a fine hunting/carry firearm although it will be a bit on the heavy side with a laminate stock. It's black finish would makes it ideal for ambush or blind type of hunting.

Ditto on the gift cards. Go to giftcardgranny.com and get 14 to 15 percent off. You can use a digital or printer copy of the gift card to buy firearms at Cabelas.

Also watch Savage's website for rebate programs. The model 12's frequently have $100 rebate programs. I bought two model 12FV's on sale at Cabelas for $349 and then got the $100 rebate on top of the sale price for both.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.