Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Took the new 22-250 out for the first time today. Varget with 60 g V-Max touched first three rounds fired. Not the best load for it but it's what I had on hand. These guns have potential......

Any clue as to how long the rebate takes to process? Mine has been pending verification for half a month... My 308 seems to have a pretty short throat...

Basic Member
    my .308 is short too. OAL using 180 grain hornady sst is 2.815

Basic Member
    just got a 308 today and can someone suggest a decent base and rings so I can put some glass on this bad boy and burn powder

Basic Member
    I have the vortex 30mm rings and i love them.. vpr-30mm .... only $60.. ive always ran warne bases and never had an issue

Basic Member
    I put Warne bases on mine with Burris signature rings with the inserts.

Basic Member
    Would that base be 20 moa ? Would it be ok to give a clue where one might order such items ��

Basic Member
    Thee are lots of vendors out there who carry bases and rings . Midway USA, Midsouth shooters supply, Brownells , Cabelas and a whole lot more. As to a 20 moa base, it depends on what distance you are planning to shoot and your optic capability. Search topics on 20 moa bases. There is a wealth of information out there .

Basic Member
    Just put an EGW 20 moa base on my 12FV. Fit perfectly. Then some Vortex rings and scope and it's a good little shooter.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TinnCan View Post
    Any clue as to how long the rebate takes to process? Mine has been pending verification for half a month... My 308 seems to have a pretty short throat...

Mine took about 60 days. Pays to check-in occasionally to make sure it's approved and let'm know you're not giving up.

Thanks, I just get worried when I have to mail stuff like that... I've put on a weaver 20moa rail for $25 off amazon and some very low rings. I had to cut the overhanging part off the front of the rail to get it to clear my scope, but it seems to work well so far. I'm playing with some varget and 175gr SMKs with promising results.

mjgillen
    I'm in California. Was going to buy a 12 LRPV when someone told me about this DEAL! I've never even owned a centerfire rifle. I called Cabela's last night and they guy said they could sell me one after my FFL here sends over some paperwork so this AM I made it all happen and I am the new owner of a 12FV in .223. It will arrive in So Cal on Friday and will be in jail for 10 days. In that time I'll be working on ammunition, scope, and some bags. Me and my adult son checked out a "Varmint" shoot at a local club and it looks like a hoot. They are shooing small metallic silhouette type targets on a rail (gotta knock em off) at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards. Some pretty nice looking "bench rest" type rifles! Long story short that looked like so much fun I'm getting this rifle to start out.

Sure glad I found this forum!

Michael

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgillen View Post
    I'm in California. Was going to buy a 12 LRPV when someone told me about this DEAL! I've never even owned a centerfire rifle. I called Cabela's last night and they guy said they could sell me one after my FFL here sends over some paperwork so this AM I made it all happen and I am the new owner of a 12FV in .223. It will arrive in So Cal on Friday and will be in jail for 10 days. In that time I'll be working on ammunition, scope, and some bags. Me and my adult son checked out a "Varmint" shoot at a local club and it looks like a hoot. They are shooing small metallic silhouette type targets on a rail (gotta knock em off) at 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards. Some pretty nice looking "bench rest" type rifles! Long story short that looked like so much fun I'm getting this rifle to start out.

Sure glad I found this forum!

Michael

Give this ammo a try, I think you'll find that for an off-the-shelf, cheap brand, it is astonishingly accurate in 223. I got a shipment from Ammunition supply Co. today.

It's American Eagle Tipped Varmint, 50 gr. P/N AE223GTV. Typically sells for about ten bucks a box of 20 in stores, but on line I've found it as cheap as $5.88 a box of 20. Brass is re-loadable too, if you're planning on getting into hand loading.

My FV will shoot this quite easily at 500 yds. I've gone as far as 750 yds but it's pretty much out of breath at that range

Basic Member
    Hey Tex, do you have a recommendation for 308. I reload but have not been set up in several years and need to build a supply of good plinking ammo.

Basic Member
    Back to the bases and rings comments, does a one piece, such as EGW, allow enough room to easily top feed the cartridges? I was thinking a two piece would make it much easier. Also, as to the Warne or Burris Signature Zee rings, will a medium be too high with a weaver style base in either Warne or Burris? Warne has low and medium, but Burris Sig Zee only comes in medium. A 40mm optic in a one inch tube will be used. I don't want to order mediums if the lows will work better.

Basic Member
    The one piece rail will not interfere too much, in my opinion, but I do think it will cause your scope to be too high with medium rings. Can't say for sure.

Personally, I would recommend trying DNZ Game Reaper one piece mount with integrated rings. THe lows will likely be just right, if you don't use Butler Creek Caps.

But it's so hard to say for sure.

Basic Member
    I have the 1 piece weaver rail w burris signature zees. Love it!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alltherage View Post
    I have the 1 piece weaver rail w burris signature zees. Love it!
    Is it an actual Weaver or a weaver style? Seems all of the Weavers I found were aluminum. I prefer steel. Did you use med. or low rings? I want to keep the scope as low as possible.
    So no problem top feeding? In looking at mine, it seems it would be tight.

mjgillen
    Just put an EGW 20 moa base on my 12FV. Fit perfectly. Then some Vortex rings and scope and it's a good little shooter.
    Hey Texas10, was that a "flat back" or "round back" that you ordered? My 12FV is on the way and I just picked up a Weaver T36 and am looking at that Picatinny rail. Just need to know if its flat or round back there. And the .223 is a short action is that right? This is my first centerfire, so lots to learn.

Thanks,
    Michael

Basic Member
    The 12FV is a round back and is indeed a short action.

mjgillen
    Thank you WV1951 !!!! I just ordered my Picatinny 20 MOA rail...

Basic Member
    I have the 20moa weaver. Burris rings are medium. Barely clears scope

Basic Member
    Greetings all! I found this thread after googling "Savage model 12 FV bottom metal" and joined after reading several other posts. I'm glad to see the thread was resurrected too.

I brought home a model 12FV in .223 from Cabellas yesterday. I had an extra 20MOA 1 piece Millett rail left over from my other Savage (model 10 FCP-K) that fit perfectly so I used it to mount an old Leupold 24x I picked up a couple of gun shows ago on it. I took it out to the range this morning and ran some junk ammo through it to get the scope dialed in (what a fiasco - that old Leupold is strange) before switching to a single box of Australian Outback .223 (factory loaded 69gr SMK bullets) I picked up when I bought the rifle. Average 4 shot group size from the last 5 groups was .75".

Now to a comment and question. Loading the internal mag was very hard. After 80 rounds my thumb was sore. I shoot a lot of large bore rifles without issue but these little suckers hurt! The rifle shoots so well with factory ammo that I think it's worth changing out the bottom metal to utilize a detachable mag and putting a decent stock on it. The factory stock is OK except for the grip angle so I'll probably opt for something from Boyds with more of a straight grip.

I found that PTG has a bottom metal and mag combo. It's a little pricey but not out of the running. Earlier in the thread factory replacement components were discussed. Where can I find the information to get the part numbers needed to switch to factory components? Also are there better/different options? (Leaving the internal mag alone is not an option).

Basic Member
    That's odd. I just shot mine today for the first time, and thought the loading was easier than I had anticipated. Have to keep them a bit forward. The straight feed is not as easy as a staggered(my old Remmy 700), but had no complaints. They chambered quite nice, as well.

Basic Member
    I had two pretty consistent issues with mag loading. First was the force needed to push the cartridge down into the mag, second was that the last cartridge(4th) would almost always slip over to the far side of the mag well requiring me to roll the rifle over to the right to free the cartridge to fall back out to try again.

I haven't taken the rifle apart to check it out yet, had to leave for work when I got home today. Maybe something's out of adjustment.

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast