Page 31 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

My 6.5 has the notched bbl nut. Thankfully, as I heard there were some mixed smooth nuts coming out. I also noticed the top bolt release is slightly different than my previous top bolt release models. Will have slightly less mass than the older ones. Maybe this speeds up lock time just a smidge?

Basic Member
    Interesting about the top bolt release. I have not noticed anything different about them, but other than the 12FVs, I only have a not so old Savage 10.......and an Axis. I guess I need to compare.

It sounds like it is luck of the draw on the smooth vs notched nut. I read horror stories about removing them, and this is the first barrel nut I have removed. I bought the action vise from NSS. I installed it in my bench vise and put a pipe wrench on the barrel nut. I tried to protect the barrel nut with several wraps of electrical tape, but it did not help. I smacked the wrench twice with a short piece of 2X4 and it broke loose. The barrel nut is marred, but I didn't intend on using it anyway, and nothing else was harmed.

The older style tbr has more material, slightly squared below where the thumb fold is. The newer style is rounded and overall has less material. Maybe I will get some pics of each of mine. Probably easier to see than explain. Not sure what the exact correct nomenclature is either.

Bolt is stuck all the way forward, when the shell finally ejects it leaves a rough scratch from the base of the brass to the point it starts to neck down. I have looked in the chamber but cannot see any visible burr but I'm sure there is one. brass shavings are visible on the backside of the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    Bolt is stuck all the way forward, when the shell finally ejects it leaves a rough scratch from the base of the brass to the point it starts to neck down. I have looked in the chamber but cannot see any visible burr but I'm sure there is one. brass shavings are visible on the backside of the chamber.
    I bought two of the 6.5 cm and my dad bought one. Of the three two of them had a burr that was making a bad scratch on the brass about 4 o'clock almost to the shoulder on the body.

Other than that, the two that I've worked up loads for shoot well.

Basic Member
    John_M44 - Curious to hear why you personally bought two Creedmoors? Are they setup differently?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I had a burr on mine, but only in the throat area. It would leave a scratch on the neck only.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    John_M44 - Curious to hear why you personally bought two Creedmoors? Are they setup differently?
    For $219 after rebait, why not?

Basic Member
    Valid. I already have the .223 and Creedmoor. Debating getting the 22-250 just because. Or another Creedmoor and sell the barrel to swap for a 6.5-284. Decisions, decisions...

Basic Member
    Wonder of wonders, my first rebate card shows sent! Second one hasnt appeared on the radar yet, it took a couple of weeks last time and I still have a few days to go.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_m44 View Post
    For $219 after rebait, why not?
    How did you arrive at $219?

Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    How did you arrive at $219?
    They were on sale for $319, I didn't add sales tax.

I ordered a 308 because they didnt have one on hand. Guys that have ordered, how long did it take? Im also planning on getting a 223 when they go on sale again.

I had to wait about six weeks or so. Likely your wait time will be less. I would think they could send one from another store to you also.

Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    I ordered a 308 because they didnt have one on hand. Guys that have ordered, how long did it take? Im also planning on getting a 223 when they go on sale again.

I ordered two in Sept. Did the on-line order process. Ordered a 6.5 CM on 9/11, which was on "backorder" status when I placed my order, then on 9/20, I decided to order a .223, it was in "limited stock" status when I placed my order.

The .223 was shipped next day and I picked it up 3 days after my order date. The 6.5 CM I didn't get to pick-up until 48 days later.

Sooooo....based on my experience I would say, between 3 and 48 days!

Ordered my 22-250 Rem on Oct 14, got a pick up by the end of the month...Soon after processed my rebate and received a confirmation of rebate....Hoping to have for Black friday sales....Optics baby
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

I guess I spoke too soon. Got an email late today that it was in, just got back from picking it up. 7 business day wait.

Basic Member
    I got back out with my new 6.5 Creedmoor, was shooting 1.5 + MOA with Federal Gold match Berger. It is in a chassis with a steel Nightforce rail, Vortex Tactical rings, and a 10 power swfa SS scope.

Shot off a bipod with a rear bag. Wood-stack two or three bullets, but had a distribution of bullets around those.

Going to take it out again this weekend and shoot that thing straight.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I got my 22-250 in early September, and mailed the rebate form mid September.
    I didn't see it processed on the automated system on the Savage website so I called them. It was processed on October 31, and should be sent out early next week.

It sure sat in a mailroom somewhere a very long time.

On a sad note, I also called on a Burris XTR2 $100 mail in rebate from late July that I sent off in Early August (within 2 weeks of purchase) and they have no record of receiving it. They said I could resubmit it, but since the last date for mailing is past, I got no assurance that I will receive the rebate

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I got my 22-250 in early September, and mailed the rebate form mid September.
    I didn't see it processed on the automated system on the Savage website so I called them. It was processed on October 31, and should be sent out early next week.

It sure sat in a mailroom somewhere a very long time.

On a sad note, I also called on a Burris XTR2 $100 mail in rebate from late July that I sent off in Early August (within 2 weeks of purchase) and they have no record of receiving it. They said I could resubmit it, but since the last date for mailing is past, I got no assurance that I will receive the rebate
    Hopefully, you will still receive the Burris rebate. That is why I like submitting rebates online, since it instantly shows a record of the submittal.....much harder to dispute, but I have never had a issue with any rebate I have mailed.

Basic Member
    I'm really hoping that Savage will come out with the 12FV in 224 Valkyrie. Would be a good gun to get the new round out on the market for people to play with.

Basic Member
    Okay, so I'm shooting my 12fv and there is a sharp little Ridge of lead or copper or whatever building up right on the crown. I was able to knock it off with my fingernail, but I don't recall having a barrel do this before.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    ^^^My 6.5 has a sharp ridge also. I haven't fired a shot from it.

I’ll second the sharp muzzle. I also haven’t shot it.

Basic Member
    I Received the rebate card from my first 12FV today, and the status site shows they have received my submission on the second one.
    Now to see if all meets scrutiny, then wait out the second rebate card! Things are moving right along.

Russellc