Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 6066676869707172 LastLast
Results 1,726 to 1,750 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

That is a sweet set-up. I have two XLR Element chassis' on my match rifles, but my Savage 12FV .223 has a stock with DBM. You are making me want a third XLR for my .223.

Basic Member
    My new to me 12fv in 223 showed up today. Picked it up used from another page. Some quick observations...
    The foregrip on the stock is less flexible then I anticipated. I was surprised though to see the barrel lug backs up to a shoulder on one side only. May have to address that.

When cycling a dummy round it hung up on the bolt face (extractor?) pretty good. When I cycled a live round I was surprised how tight the bolt was to close (sammi spec round). It also hung up but good on the bolt. Do you guys think replacing the BB in the bolt will help cure this problem?

Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

If you rack it slow it will hang up. Cycle that bolt back with a little more muscle which isn’t the right word, but firmer. The shell will come out fine.
    Bed that front recoil lug with JB weld.

I put a little JB steel stick weld under my safety tang too.

So bed the stock and tighten down the recoil lug front action screw to 10-15# and let the rear float. Don’t put the trigger action rear screw in untill it cures.
    Cheers. This is how I bedded my FV stock and the little .223 shoots little groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    No matter how hard I worked the bolt, the round was stuck to the bolt face. I had to pry it off the bolt.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TommyD11730 View Post
    No matter how hard I worked the bolt, the round was stuck to the bolt face. I had to pry it off the bolt.
    Might be time to remove the extractor for cleaning while being careful not to lose the steel ball and spring. I work with a baggie over the bolt head to catch flying parts. Sounds like the extractor is jammed, perhaps rusted into the head? A good thorough cleaning will definitely help. Steel balls can be ordered by the 100's off Amazon. They're cheap.

The issue with the Savage extractor/ejector design on the 223 is that the fired cartridge slams against the upper bolt lug abutment as it's being extracted. This jarrs it off the extractor and leaves a dent in the case. There are aftermarket solutions available. Check out this one: http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

I hope this helps.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Disassemble the bolt head. Do it in a box or plastic bag. Everything has a spring so the energy will send small parts flying.

Your looking for a functioning extractor and ejector. Also measure your bolt ace counter bore and you brass rims.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    One step forward, 2 steps back.
    I fixed the ejection issue. The bolt face was clocked 180 degrees! Replaced the detent ball with a oversized one and it works perfectly.
    However....
    The rifle is intermittently fireing on its own with the bolt rotating to close. Not every time, in and out of the stock. It has a Timney trigger. After adjusting the sear 6 ways to Sunday, without success I put the accutrigger back in
    Set it at 2.5 lbs and I can't get it to fire on its own anymore. The sear on the Timney has to me a worn spot. Hard to tell if it's factory but I doubt it.
    So tomorrow I'll bring it to the range and rack the bolt over and over and over...

Basic Member
    Searched this forum high and low without a definite answer. Is there an actual torque spec for the stock screws?

Searched this forum high and low without a definite answer. Is there an actual torque spec for the stock screws?
    No.

I like mine at 15-60>>>>

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    No.

I like mine at 15-60>>>>

Damn.... 60 inch pounds. I'm surprised the insert doesn't spin in the stock.
    Thanks!

One step forward, 2 steps back.

However....
    The rifle is intermittently fireing on its own with the bolt rotating to close. Not every time, in and out of the stock. It has a Timney trigger. After adjusting the sear 6 ways to Sunday, without success I put the accutrigger back in
    Set it at 2.5 lbs and I can't get it to fire on its own anymore. The sear on the Timney has to me a worn spot. Hard to tell if it's factory but I doubt it.
    I guess you figured out that the trigger needs to be preloaded against the sear for it to not trip on bolt close. Inspect the trigger sear surface. It should be sharp not rounded. The sear needs to be inspected also.

And you are right. If you do not have metal pillars or an aluminum chassis then 60 Inch/lbs is waaaay to tight. However if it does have pillars or is in a chassis then those numbers are close if you have the correct thread engagement.

So, pillar your stock.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I’m pretty sure the FV stock and most savage plastic stocks are pillar bedded. Maybe not the old 110 series.

Filled that gridded area. It’s a solid chunk of JB weld and a pillar.

Basic Member
    I did some testing with torque settings on my 12 FV in 6.5 Creedmoor (the same stock as the 12 FV) when I first got the rifle.
    Turns out that 35 in.-lbs. is a good choice with the factory 12 FV stock.
    I increased the torque to 45 in.-lbs. and the average group size grew by 24% using comparable bullets.
    I can't imagine what 60 in.-lbs. torque would do to a 12 FV stock.

I eventually switched both my 12 FVs (6.5mm Creedmoor and my .223) to an Oryx chassis torqued at 60 in.-lbs. as recommended by Oryx and got almost 10% more improvement over the factory stock that came with the 12 FV set at 35 in.-lbs..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    I did some testing with torque settings on my 12 FV in 6.5 Creedmoor (the same stock as the 12 FV) when I first got the rifle.
    Turns out that 35 in.-lbs. is a good choice with the factory 12 FV stock.
    Was that 35in @ both front and rear screws?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I guess you figured out that the trigger needs to be preloaded against the sear for it to not trip on bolt close. Inspect the trigger sear surface. It should be sharp not rounded. The sear needs to be inspected also.
    The Timney triggers sear was FUBAR on my rifle. Putting the factory accutrigger back in fixed the fire on bolt close =0

Is the accutrigger on these FV rifles the same on all accutrigger equipped Savages? Mine feels sharp/uncomfortable vs my buds 110 model.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    I’m pretty sure the FV stock and most savage plastic stocks are pillar bedded. Maybe not the old 110 series.

Filled that gridded area. It’s a solid chunk of JB weld and a pillar.

Do you think filling the area in front of where the recoil lug sits would also be a good idea? Trying to create a "sandwitch" for it to fit in.

Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Not sure. I’ve filled the grid work up to add stiffness and weight. But not deep enough to touch the front of the lug.

Basic Member
    TommyD11730
    Yes both front and rear screws were torqued to 35 in.-lbs.
    And when testing with 45 in.-lbs. of torque, both screws were also torqued the same.

Basic Member
    Will there be anymore Black Friday deals at 219$??

Basic Member
    Anyone have a clue the barrel groove on the 223? 4 I'm guessing.

Basic Member
    My 12 FV .223 and 6.5mm Creedmoor barrels are 4R.
    My 10T-SR 6.5mm Creedmoor is 5R.
    My 12 LRP 6.5mm Creedmoor is 4R.

Basic Member
    Thanks CF, and thanks for your reloading threads. I'll have my 12 out with some handloads Sunday for the 1st time.

My model 10 .223 is 5
    Not sure about the FV barrel

My barrel is the predator profile.
    I think they marketed it as the .338lm couture barrel cut for the .223

Basic Member
    Anyone go with a choate tactical stock? After speaking to a smith at Choate he said his stocks are inlet for factory bottom metal (Savage). IHO the best option would be to purchase a 250-06-02 center feed stock and give it to a smith to mill it out for an accurate mag bottom metal.
    I had hoped the Accurate BM would "drop right into" a Choate stock.

Basic Member
    For those of you that want an MDT chassis for your 12FV, NOW is the time.