Page 26 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Mine came in 3 days ago, ordered on Sept. 12. I wanted to get a chance to put some holes in a target before I said anything. Now I will say I am very, very happy. There were no finish blemishes, the muzzle showed good rifling and had no little chips or flaws and the bolt felt good while being cycled. It took some time with a toothpick and dental style pick to clean stuff out of the front scope mount hole. After that all 4 screws for the scope mount went in without any drama or need for the tap I bought for my previous FV.

The new FV is in .223, the one I bought last year is .308. I use these for target practice and I am a beginner trying to get better. The .308 was more of a step up from my .22LR than I expected, . So I'm hoping the .223 will have some less drama and be easier for me to use with less heat going into the barrel and less urge to flinch.

My son and I got it to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds through it. The only disconcerting issue is that I think it took around 4 mils of windage correction to get on target. That's 40 clicks on my 12x40 SWFA. I'm not sure yet where that error is, the rail, the mounting holes or the scope ring clamps. Because of my budget I took the scope and rings off my .308 and moved them onto the .223. Both guns have EGW rails.

Once on target we moved it to 100 yards and shot some handloads. The bullets were Sierra 69 grain MatchKing HPBT with Varget powder. We each shoot 4 groups of 5 shots, the powder loads were 21, 22, 23 and 24 grains. Holy cow! Of these 8 groups, the worst came in at .70". With the .308 on a 10 shot group, we could make a big hole, but there always seemed to be 2 or 3 outliers.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upinthehills View Post
    Mine came in 3 days ago, ordered on Sept. 12. I wanted to get a chance to put some holes in a target before I said anything. Now I will say I am very, very happy. There were no finish blemishes, the muzzle showed good rifling and had no little chips or flaws and the bolt felt good while being cycled. It took some time with a toothpick and dental style pick to clean stuff out of the front scope mount hole. After that all 4 screws for the scope mount went in without any drama or need for the tap I bought for my previous FV.

The new FV is in .223, the one I bought last year is .308. I use these for target practice and I am a beginner trying to get better. The .308 was more of a step up from my .22LR than I expected, . So I'm hoping the .223 will have some less drama and be easier for me to use with less heat going into the barrel and less urge to flinch.

My son and I got it to the range yesterday and put 50 rounds through it. The only disconcerting issue is that I think it took around 4 mils of windage correction to get on target. That's 40 clicks on my 12x40 SWFA. I'm not sure yet where that error is, the rail, the mounting holes or the scope ring clamps. Because of my budget I took the scope and rings off my .308 and moved them onto the .223. Both guns have EGW rails.

Once on target we moved it to 100 yards and shot some handloads. The bullets were Sierra 69 grain MatchKing HPBT with Varget powder. We each shoot 4 groups of 5 shots, the powder loads were 21, 22, 23 and 24 grains. Holy cow! Of these 8 groups, the worst came in at .70". With the .308 on a 10 shot group, we could make a big hole, but there always seemed to be 2 or 3 outliers.
    If you like the SMK 69gr bullets, try them with IMR 8208 XBR. I found it to shoot the medium weight bullets like the 69gr SMK's better than Varget.

What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ? Mine really liked the Australian outback with the blitz king bullets. Apparently Cabelas is not carrying it anymore. Have tried several cheap brands with no good results yet. ( PPI, Armscor, American eagle, IMR ) My Cabelas doesn't seem to carry Federal Gold medal in .223. Anybody had luck with Hornady Black? Chris

Basic Member
    My 12FV .223 will shoot Defender 69g SMK reloads around .5 MOA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1dz...P8kpZ6yNzoN9HQ

I get roughly the same results with 50g-60g v-max, both new Fiocchi and Freedom reloads.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor8100 View Post
    What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ? Mine really liked the Australian outback with the blitz king bullets. Apparently Cabelas is not carrying it anymore. Have tried several cheap brands with no good results yet. ( PPI, Armscor, American eagle, IMR ) My Cabelas doesn't seem to carry Federal Gold medal in .223. Anybody had luck with Hornady Black? Chris

There are a lot of people who are bummed that the AO ammo is no longer carried at Cabela's. I don't shoot much factory ammo, but that was one of the brands that did shoot really well in 223. I also heard of others having good luck with it in 308 and other calibers as well. Another brand that you may try that has been getting good user reviews is the Fiocchi brand 223 ammo. It is reasonably priced and also comes in 20 and 50rd packs loaded with Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets.

Basic Member
    Just got my Savage 12fv in 204 ruger. I only shot 2 rounds through it, and realized i'm having a problem with releasing the bolt. Ejection seems fine, but after I fire a round, it takes a little convincing to slide the bolt out.

I'm thinking it is just dirty, so i'm going to clean it and try again, and get it shot in.

For records, i'm shooting Hornady V-max 40Grain ammunition.

Basic Member
    Good news. My 12FV in .309 has been shipped and is on the way to the store.

Holy smokes fellas, mine in 6.5CM shows shipped!

Basic Member
    I ordered my 6.5 on 9/20. Received an email yesterday saying expected shipping date is 11/ 25. Maybe it will be here by December....whenever it gets here will be fine I have one in 22-250 I enjoy playing with.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Connor8100 View Post
    What factory loads are you guys having success with in the .223 ?
    It seems like the 12FV likes the AO factory ammo. If you can come up with Black Hills re-manufactured or Black Hills Gold, ive it a try. I believe it comes in 68 and 69 grain.

I to all who replied about my factory ammo question and congrats to everybody getting shipping notices! Having a cool spell here in the Mid Atlantic, great shooting weather. Mozella, I’m assuming your .308 has shipped. Ours still hasn’t come around ammo wise, bought some Federal Gold medal match and that helped. Need to double check the action screws and scope mounts to take those variables out of the equation. Not terrible but I think 1.25” at hundred yards can be better. The .223 is shooting about .75”. Chris

I happened in my local Cabela's tonight and asked the girl at customer service if she could check on my 12FV in 6.5. I placed my order on September 7th. My gun was shipped yesterday so I should see it very soon. BTW, can anyone give me the skinny on the rebate please?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 423Savage View Post
    BTW, can anyone give me the skinny on the rebate please?
    Save all your paperwork when you pick up the rifle. You will receive a two-page sheet at Cabela's. The top one will be an invoice showing type rifle, payment information, your name and etc. The second one will be coupon page. They will also give you a cash register receipt, which doesn't have much on it, but it does have the date and the serial number of your rifle. I'm assuming that is important too.

The easiest way is to send it in online. I scanned all the things I mentioned above and sent it to them. (Pictures are OK too.) You also need to scan or take a picture of the Savage UPC bar code on the box. It is most likely (partially) covered by a Cabela's inventory sticker that also has a bar code on it. Some said that their rebate submittal was rejected because the Cabela's sticker was covering the Savage UPC code in their picture. I had a Cabela's inventory sticker on my box too. I was able to peel it off by heating it with a hair dryer and peeling very slowly. Pulling it off without doing that is pretty much futile.

So, in short, send in all your paperwork mentioned above and a picture of the Savage UPC code sticker from the box. I think I was approved in a couple of days after sending in mine online.......by far the easiest way to do it, but you can mail it too.

Corey Schwanz
    Bought one of these rifles in .308 2 years ago and still love it! Been a good shooter for me from the get go and hoping to get more accuracy out of it with a recent stock change.

I got my arrival notification today for my order placed 09/08/2017. Now I'm just waiting on my TC Compass!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I got my arrival notification today for my order placed 09/08/2017. Now I'm just waiting on my TC Compass!
    Did you happen to notice when they marked your backorder as "shipped"? I'm guessing it is part of the current "huge" shipment from Savage designed to clean up ALL the backorders.

Mine changed to "shipped" on Monday and I assume that means shipped from the Cabelas warehouse to my local store, not as shipped from savage.

Their FAQ says something like 5 to 8 days in transit and nobody at Cabalas seems able to track this huge backorder for me. I live four hours from my closest store and I need to make travel plans ahead of time, so it would be nice to have a hint as to when it will arrive at the store. But I'm not holding my breath.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    Did you happen to notice when they marked your backorder as "shipped"? I'm guessing it is part of the current "huge" shipment from Savage designed to clean up ALL the backorders.

Mine changed to "shipped" on Monday and I assume that means shipped from the Cabelas warehouse to my local store, not as shipped from savage.

Their FAQ says something like 5 to 8 days in transit and nobody at Cabalas seems able to track this huge backorder for me. I live four hours from my closest store and I need to make travel plans ahead of time, so it would be nice to have a hint as to when it will arrive at the store. But I'm not holding my breath.
    Moments after making this post, I got a notice that my guns are ready for pick up. Good news.

Basic Member
    My email said my .308 should ship by 11/25....I hope so!

Russellc

Just got an e=mail saying I can pick up my rifle. No ship date on this email but the girl at the store Tuesday said her computer said shipped on Monday October 16. The last one of these I bought (in 22-250) came from Ipsy's and it took just a couple days.

Thanks Nic for the info!

I ordered a 12 FV, 6.5 CM on a few days ago...Really looking forward to getting the email that mine is on the way.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
    I ordered a 12 FV, 6.5 CM on a few days ago...Really looking forward to getting the email that mine is on the way.
    Jack
    COngrats J and welcome to the forum....

Basic Member
    My order on 223 still shows Back Order but online catalog shows limited stock. Called Cabela today and was told they have 223s in and "unloading the truck" will be in store in 8-10 days for pick up. So how is the Savage $100 rebate? anyone has success?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HankC View Post
    My order on 223 still shows Back Order but online catalog shows limited stock. Called Cabela today and was told they have 223s in and "unloading the truck" will be in store in 8-10 days for pick up. So how is the Savage $100 rebate? anyone has success?
    Good to hear. I also see Limited Stock for the .223 and 22-250. Many have been approved for the Visa card offer. I sent mine in online and was approved quickly. But I'm still waiting on the card to show up in the mail. Sounds like many will be seeing their rifles soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    I didn't notice the change. Sorry. The first I knew there was any change was when I got the pick-up email.

My rifle has a jeweled bolt body and may be the oiliest Savage I've ever seen!

What's the link for submitting the rebate online?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    What's the link for submitting the rebate online?
    https://promotions.vistaoutdoor.com/brands/4/10