Page 64 of 72 FirstFirst ... 54606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Just picked up the last box of 150-count Hornady Black 55-grain .223 BTHP from my local Academy store for $60 on clearance. I bought a box a couple weeks ago and got to shoot it and had a 5-round group with all holes touching at 100-yards with the 12FV. Anytime I can score quality ammo for $0.40/round, I'm a happy camper!

Excited to finally join the Savage family! I snagged a 12FV 6.5 at Bass Pro on Wednesday for $319 plus California commie tax. Now to play the waiting game as I try to figure out what scope to throw on top.

I have a savage 12fv in 204 ruger, I saw someone in this thread is running a regular walnut stock on their 12fv, I'm looking to do the same to my rifle but I dont want a comb or anything like that just a plain walnut stock, does anyone have any info on how I can do that after a lot of research the only thing I found was a stock for the 12bvss.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip170 View Post
    I have a savage 12fv in 204 ruger, I saw someone in this thread is running a regular walnut stock on their 12fv, I'm looking to do the same to my rifle but I dont want a comb or anything like that just a plain walnut stock, does anyone have any info on how I can do that after a lot of research the only thing I found was a stock for the 12bvss.
    You can get a Boyd's Pro Varmint in walnut...not the most traditional of stock profiles though. It's the heavy barrel that seems to limit the vendors to tactical or varmint style stocks.

How did snapcrackpop fit a boyds heritage on his?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyerwy View Post
    Hey Txroadlizard, how did you get a drop magazine on your 12 Fv?
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    You can convert these internal magazine guns to DBM with the right stock, bottom metal, and magazines. You can go for the Savage OEM style or an AICS pattern setup.
    What Celltech said. I dropped my 6.5 into a KRG chassis which utilizes AICS magazines. I swapped out the bolt knob for the longer factory tactical version as well:

Anyone as of recent been able to get one of these in .204 from either BPS or Cabela's?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greatshot View Post
    Anyone as of recent been able to get one of these in .204 from either BPS or Cabela's?

I bought a few .204's recently.

I don't see any listed currently.

They have been discontinued. check page 62 in this thread

Do the 6.5s prefer a bullet weight over another or how about factory ammo?

Basic Member
    Check my most recent thread on the Ammunition & Reloading forum, posted yesterday.
    I posted the first three loads that I tried in a new 12 FV 6.5mm CM - 130 TMKs, 140 ELD-Ms and 142 SMKs all with IMR4350 powder.
    Actually, I think preferences as to bullet weight may depend on individual barrels but I'll have to let the data prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    Check my most recent thread on the Ammunition & Reloading forum, posted yesterday.
    I posted the first three loads that I tried in a new 12 FV 6.5mm CM - 130 TMKs, 140 ELD-Ms and 142 SMKs all with IMR4350 powder.
    Actually, I think preferences as to bullet weight may depend on individual barrels but I'll have to let the data prove it.
    I've been watching that one and long range match load thread. I do not have a scope for this gun yet, but what I am going to do: throw one on buy one box of shells make sure I get a group and not a pattern (this is another long story that needs its own thread I am not very confident with Savage right now). After I confirm the rifle is a shooter buy components to load. With the range of rifles I have I am going to try and develop a load around H4350 powder and 142 Sierra matchkings.

My goal with this rifle is to shoot prairie dogs beyond 600 yards.

Basic Member
    BB68,

I have two other Savage 6.5mm CMs.
    My 12 LRP with a 26 inch barrel is more accurate with the just about 140 grains - with the exception of 140 SMKs that have a different amount of bullet body touching the rifling, 142 SMKs, and 147 ELD-Ms.
    It shoots 130 TMKs and 130 TGKs with a bit less accuracy.
    My 10T-SR with a 24 inch barrel is less accurate overall than the 12 LRP but it is most accurate with 130 TMKs and 140 ELD-Ms than with 142 SMKs and even less accurate with 147 ELD-Ms.

Individual barrel preferences also appear in my Savage .308s, both of which have 24 inch barrels.
    One is most accurate with 150 and 155 grain bullets and the other is most accurate with 175 and 195 bullets. They both shoot 168 bullets about the same, but both seem to shoot the TMK bullets most accurately of all the 168s.

That's is why I made the statement about individual barrel preferences.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln4 View Post
    I just received the latest Cabela's flyer, which features the "Cabela's Exclusive" Savage 12FV, for $389. Does anyone know anything about this specific model? I'm looking for a relatively inexpensive heavy barrel platform for my wife and daughter to punch paper and gongs with, rather than their hunting rifles.
    You cannot do better for the money. I love mine and shoot 3/4 MOA all day. Probably better if I could shoot.

I have the 12FV in 6.5 Creedmoor. Heavy barrel,
    jeweled bolt, oversized bolt handle. Very accurate

Basic Member
    Well I checked on my $60.00 rebate and found out it's not coming. If you all will remember all the trouble I had back in Jan. trying to fill out the rebate form. Vista told me to fill out the R9840 form and choose Axis as the rifle. Now they say my purchase was made after the rebate was closed. I have the online rebate saved in my documents that says the rebate is good till Jan. 31 2019 and a receipt from Cabelas dated 1/19/19 The rebate form would not go through so they told me which form to use and what to put on it. Now I find out they rejected it. Waiting for their response!

That sucks. They did email me Monday to say my rebate (backpack) has been shipped, but when its a $5 item I doubt they scrutinize.

Basic Member
    Here's what I did with my 12FV 6.5cm. Model 12 VLP DBM stock, PTG bottom metal, Burris XTR II 5-25x50 in a Spuhr mount, takes Pmags and Accurate mags. I had to take some material off the cocking ramp and firing pin sear because the bolt lift was less than acceptable due to action timing. That coupled with the 12 FV rough, and I mean rough machining job, made the rifle jam and manipulating the bolt near impossible without rolling the rifle on its side. Now, it will give a Tikka a run for its money.

Basic Member
    That is a fabulous-looking rifle there Donnie!

Quote Originally Posted by flowj View Post
    Well I checked on my $60.00 rebate and found out it's not coming. If you all will remember all the trouble I had back in Jan. trying to fill out the rebate form. Vista told me to fill out the R9840 form and choose Axis as the rifle. Now they say my purchase was made after the rebate was closed. I have the online rebate saved in my documents that says the rebate is good till Jan. 31 2019 and a receipt from Cabelas dated 1/19/19 The rebate form would not go through so they told me which form to use and what to put on it. Now I find out they rejected it. Waiting for their response!
    I called them after I found my rebate was rejected. I told them the story and they told me they would redo it. After several days, the rebate was approved. Still waiting for it to arrive though. Will update later.

Basic Member
    Sounds like they did right by you.
    Good to hear they listened.

Basic Member
    Ok now they say my rebate has been approved again time will tell

Basic Member
    I had sent a rebate just before christmas .....checked on it about 5 times always got the same response.....processing....so I called them they said they could not find anything.....I had made a copy of everything and photos of everythin ready to send including the upc code off box .....after 3 more emails from me no response ....so I went online and found nothing .....so I called them again and mysteriously it appeared online 2 days later ....by now it was april and I checked again last week and said it was denied ....I called them again and emailed them still waiting to hear from them.......kind of sucks

Can you say Bass Pro, cabela's will never be the same in mhop.

Basic Member
    I have to agree with you on Cabela's not ever being the same.
    Several of their ex-employees that I know left after their benefits were reduced by Bass Pro Shops right after they took over.
    Bass Pro Shops eliminated their employee's discounts.
    And one of them was really ticked by Bass Pro's new policy of placing trigger locks on all of the rifles and pistols and not allowing potential buyers to try a trigger before buying.

However, Bass Pro Shops legally did keep the Cabela's name and store identity separate, even if it was just to retain Cabela's patron loyalty, and there were still Cabela's stickers on the two Savage 12 FV rifles that I just bought.

But I would say calling Cabela's by their owner's name, Bass Pro Shops, would be a bit like calling Google by it's trading company's name, Alphabet.

As long a they keep selling rifles 'made especially for Cabela's' like the Savage 12 FV, I'll still keep looking for similar bargains.