Thread: Got my new 110 Hunter

Basic Member

Got my new 110 Hunter

Finally got my new Hunter in .223
    First the Cons:
    Magazine got stuck and I had to take the rifle apart to get it out. Rear mag latch lip was a scooch to long, had to file it down about .020 now it fits into the magwell perfect and removes perfect. Chamber long throated, if I load 55 Vmax's at book spec of 2.250 they will have a jump of .100. Luckily there is room in the mag to load bullets long.
    Next, trigger was #3.75, will not go lower than #2.80, will have to see if there are any springs I can change to get it to about #2.25
    Bolt release is a bit stiff and gritty.
    Rubbing the exterior of the barrel down with oil
    I got a lot of black covered patches.
    Follower sets to low to properly single feed with some bullet types.
    #9, 4oz with scope

Now the good stuff:

I think the best thing is the Accufit AccuStock.
    Comes with 5 cheek risers, I chose the middle size and I think it is about perfect.
    The aluminum bedding block and inside of stock is smooth and clean, very well done.
    I torqued the stock to spec at #40 inch pounds.
    Barrel is free floated perfectly and even all the way down.
    Mounted a EGW O MOA Rail and Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP in
    Leupold 30mm QRW2 medium rings.
    So far very pleased, but a range trip will be the overall deciding factor.
    Range day planned for Sunday morning, so stay tuned.

Failure is not an option

Banned
    Remember, it’s a Bolt Action, not an AR15. Don’t be concerned with keeping cartridges within the 2.250” AR Magazine limit. And look also to heavier bullets. 69, 75 & 77gr. You can grab the Target Accutrigger Spring here. https://www.gunshack.com/savage-part...able%20trigger It should get you a bit lower. But as I always say, don’t be so set on a pull gauge showing you a specific number of Pounds & Ounces. Honestly, without the trigger pull gauge, you’d be hard pressed to feel the difference between 2.8lbs & 2.25lbs. Consistency is what’s important. Also, your trigger will wear in with use & naturally become lighter, smoother.

Basic Member
    As Dave said, your chamber will let you load heavier bullets out to a jump that will be much closer to what it appears you would prefer.
    All .223 rifle chambers I have had would never let me get a light bullet (55 gr and under) anywhere near the lands. The bolt actions are chambered to allow you to seat heavy bullets out farther so they aren't crammed into the cartridge (that builds up pressure).

Don't be afraid to try 52 and 53 grain match bullets (Sierra SMK #1410 or #1400 or Berger #22408 ) in your new rifle. Or Berger 55 gr FB #22410 bullets.
    They shoot great in my .223 Savage.
    Most other 55 gr bullets can't touch them for accuracy.

I assume your .223 Hunter has a twist of 1:9.
    My 12 FV .223 with a 1:9 twist shoots 77 gr Sierras SMKs and TMKs and Nosler CCs and RDFs better than any other bullets. It also shoots 69 gr SMKs and TMKs almost as accurately.
    All the stability tools say 77 gr bullets won't stabilize in a 1:9 twist, but your barrel will tell you what works in your particular barrel.

I suspect you will love your Savage Hunter when you get it out to the range. Hope you have great range session.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the input.
    I'll order up one of those springs.
    Going to try and find some 68-69gr. Bullets.
    Failure is not an option

Sounds like a nice rifle! Can't wait for the range report!!!

Basic Member
    Be aware that not all match bullets are the same. I've had good luck with the Sierra SMK/TMK and the Hornady ELD's. But not the 'std' Hornady BTHP bullets. Nosler 69 and 77gn BTHP match bullets are close to the Sierra. Bergers are really good as well, but, even more pricy. They also like to loaded into the lands, which can be tricky.

Basic Member
    My 110 Storm in .223 shoots the Frontier .223 55 grain OTM lights out. They are a little less expensive and worth at least a try IMO.

Basic Member

Range Report

Had first Range day yesterday.
    Did a short brake in then fired for groups.
    Most groups were 4 shots, however the 2 groups shown are 5 shots. After each group I cooled the barrel with an air barrel cooler.
    Seems most groups had a first round flyer taking them to about 1.5 moa. Love the Accufit AccuStock.
    Nice crisp trigger, but a bit to heavy at #3.8
    Savage is sending a new trigger spring, but won't send the target spring.
    I will most likely replace barrel with a Shilen in
    6 Creedmoore as I have a line on a Predator
    in .223
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230522_150311.jpg   20230521_102152.jpg  
    Failure is not an option

Basic Member
    Does that stock have pillars? If you are going to rebarrel it anyway and just bought it for the action get a stock that has pillars and is bedded. That will solve your 1st shot flyer issue, if it is even an issue.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    Does that stock have pillars? If you are going to rebarrel it anyway and just bought it for the action get a stock that has pillars and is bedded. That will solve your 1st shot flyer issue, if it is even an issue.
    It is the AccuStock, full aluminum bedding
    Failure is not an option

Basic Member
    My heavy .308 barrel will throw the first shot after cooling on a hot day. Not much, just enough to be annoying :)

Of course, it could be me as well. :) Not getting set properly for the first shot.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    My heavy .308 barrel will throw the first shot after cooling on a hot day. Not much, just enough to be annoying :)

Of course, it could be me as well. :) Not getting set properly for the first shot.
    LOL! It seems there`s about a million things that constitute " not getting set properly for the first shot "!

Basic Member
    Hylander,

Several of my Savages have the same tendency that charlie b describes - to throw the one or two shots until the barrel temperature stabilizes.
    Also, I find that a barrel that has just been cleaned tends also tends to need a couple of rounds to get the barrel stable.

I have learned to shoot a 'sighter or two' so the barrel can get the barrel prepped and to a working temperature.
    On really cold days, it might take 3 or 4 rounds before the POIs get stable.

Once the barrel is stable, I get 5-round groups like your three rounds that are touching.
    Once the barrel is stable, I have gotten 25-round groups within 0.6 inches.
    I do watch the barrel temperature, so the barrel doesn't get too hot.
    I use a 85 to 140 deg F barrel strip to monitor my barrel temperature on all of my target rifles.
    Above 120 deg F, the bullets tend to drop about 0.25 inches, so the group size grows when I shoot the larger groups, or the POI moves for the 5-round groups.

I'd give the 'sighter prep' a try, just to see if it helps.
    For hunting, all of those shots are effective, but for measuring, getting the barrel stable would probably give you better results.

Basic Member

Second Range Day

Scrubbed the bore down, made a few more handloads and headed back out.
    Today was windy with the wind shifting.
    Found two good loads, 40 nosler and 53 Vmax.
    Gotta back my 55 barns load down
    (pressure signs).
    Anyway, it is showing some promise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20230523_105112.jpg   20230523_104902.jpg  
    Failure is not an option

Basic Member
    nicely done.

Banned
    Very nice indeed!

Basic Member
    Good hunting rifle precision ( group size ) IMO. Looks a lot like groups out of my .223 Storm. I actually pay more attention to accuracy ( POA vs. POI ). Predator won`t care about my group size but sure will if I`m on target!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Turkeytider View Post
    Good hunting rifle precision ( group size ) IMO. Looks a lot like groups out of my .223 Storm. I actually pay more attention to accuracy ( POA vs. POI ). Predator won`t care about my group size but sure will if I`m on target!
    I agree, but for a bit different reason. I’ve always been a rifle shooter, but my speciality for years was defensive pistol training & instruction. I taught this to people as an Instructor. In rifle competition, the obbjective is the smallest group possible. Essentially a 1-HOLE Group, with every subsequent shot passing through the original is the Holy Grail! Of course this is almost never seen, but it remains the goal. Where as in a defensive pistol use, this would not be advantageous & instead could very well cost a person their life. More Holes in the intended target being the better outcome.

Just an interesting bit of training difference mentality to me.

Basic Member
    Once I settle on a load, I will focuse on the zeroing. Right now just working on building a couple accurate loads.
    Failure is not an option

Quote Originally Posted by Hylander View Post
    Once I settle on a load, I will focuse on the zeroing. Right now just working on building a couple accurate loads.
    Good plan.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I agree, but for a bit different reason. I’ve always been a rifle shooter, but my speciality for years was defensive pistol training & instruction. I taught this to people as an Instructor. In rifle competition, the obbjective is the smallest group possible. Essentially a 1-HOLE Group, with every subsequent shot passing through the original is the Holy Grail! Of course this is almost never seen, but it remains the goal. Where as in a defensive pistol use, this would not be advantageous & instead could very well cost a person their life. More Holes in the intended target being the better outcome.

Just an interesting bit of training difference mentality to me.
    Don`t get me wrong, Dave, I enjoy a tight group as well. Since it`s a hunting rifle, I just approached it from the perspective that a coyote, pig, whatever, will be singularly unimpressed with a .3 MOA group hitting 6" from my POA! I know, I know. That`s what scope turrets are for!

Basic Member
    Don`t get me wrong, Dave, I enjoy a tight group as well. Since it`s a hunting rifle, I just approached it from the perspective that a coyote, pig, whatever, will be singularly unimpressed with a .3 MOA group hitting 6" from my POA! I know, I know. That`s what scope turrets are for!
    Great attitude. It's nice to have small consistent small groups, breeds confidence. But then so does knowing where the rifle shoots on the first shot, since that's the one that really matters on a hunting rifle right.
    It's great to shoot little groups at a few hundred yards from the bench. It's another thing entirely to jump a buck and get off one shot in under five seconds or shoot a coyote that hangs up at 150 yards.

Banned
    Absolutely!