Page 55 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Keese View Post
    It won't even let me activate the other two, says wrong zip code. The same zip worked for the first one.
    No. Never heard of such a problem. Gotta call the rebate company. They will make it right.

Installed the SSS Improved Extractor Kit today and what a difference it makes. ��

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    No. Never heard of such a problem. Gotta call the rebate company. They will make it right.
    Called them yesterday, and they activated both cards and confirmed the balance on the one I'd previously used that didn't show up either. Not sure why they wouldn't activate online.

Basic Member
    It has been hit and miss with my cards. I had to call 4 times on my last card and run through the activation before it was finally accepted at a store. I was about to give up, but 4th time must have been a charm. I have one left to use, and I tried it today and it worked. I will be glad when I have that one spent. The extra money is nice, but kind of a pain in the butt when they don't work correctly.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    Installed the SSS Improved Extractor Kit today and what a difference it makes. ��
    Good stuff Joe!

Basic Member
    On sale again, no rebate though. Got the 6.5 on the way. I had $250 in gift cards and another $70 in my pocket change gun money/cup, so ~$70 out of the wallet.

Basic Member
    My 12fv CM is starting to group tighter. They are a sweet deal no matter the price.

Seeing stock status getting low on one Cabela’s I placed my order with another equidistant that showed in stock. Now, Mother’s day is Sunday and my Wife’s favorite Greek eatery is near the Cabela’s. Hmmm.

Basic Member
    Had to give an update on My Model 12FV in 308 Accuracy and testing...I think I found My load! 08 LC 7.62 trimmed Brass, annealed, Fed primer , 42.5gr of IMR4064, Hornady Match 168gr BTHP, 2.78" COOAL. Tested 6 charges and 3 were sub1".

Can anyone tell me what tool is required to remove the action from the stock on the 12FV? I just got word my rifle is ready for pickup and tomorrow is to be a good day for a drive in the convertible. One problem: My trunk is too small to bring the rifle home in one piece.

Just buckle it in the front! Lmao.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Sierra View Post
    Can anyone tell me what tool is required to remove the action from the stock on the 12FV? I just got word my rifle is ready for pickup and tomorrow is to be a good day for a drive in the convertible. One problem: My trunk is too small to bring the rifle home in one piece.

Hex key...think it's a 5/32.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Hex key...think it's a 5/32.
    You sir are correct. It is home in 22-250. The blast ring on the crown from the test shot couldn't be more perfectly symmetrical. One minor issue. The bottom of the bolt drags on the top of the mag lips. Drags hard too. Has anyone else noticed this? Before I start removing metal I thought it wise to check if there is a fix. Bore cleaned, scope mounted and clear skies forecast for tomorrow.

Celltech, thanks for the help.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Sierra View Post
    You sir are correct. It is home in 22-250. The blast ring on the crown from the test shot couldn't be more perfectly symmetrical. One minor issue. The bottom of the bolt drags on the top of the mag lips. Drags hard too. Has anyone else noticed this? Before I start removing metal I thought it wise to check if there is a fix. Bore cleaned, scope mounted and clear skies forecast for tomorrow.

Celltech, thanks for the help.
    Curious as well. Just picked mine up today and the action is really tight.

Try removing it from the stock. Mine is smooth and very precise once removed and away from the mag. I found it loads, feeds and ejects fine. A bit lazy on the ejection though. An AR-15 fling is not what I’m after so that’s OK with me.

Basic Member
    It's kinda a janky affair with the internal mag and its "L" shaped retention bracket at the rear. Make sure the mag/bracket are locked together and pushed all the way down. And none of my 4 12's eject very hard...but they do work smoothly. I did install the slightly larger balls under the ejector to give them a bit more grip on the case rim.

I did some searching on the subject last night and found the post that explains mag removal. I’ll try that tonight. One other thing I noticed is my trigger is exceptionally light. It feels as light as my CZ527 with the set trigger. Not that i’m complaining. It could have been closer to the Axis I bought.

Basic Member
    The 12's have a varmint trigger spring which is a step up from the even lighter target spring. You can adjust them down very low ;-) Or you can back them out and add some heft if you want. I even bought a set of them and put them in my Axis rifles as well...

Good news! Set up at 50 yds, 32 gr IMR 3031, Midway 52 HPBT match blemish. Shot 1, cleaned. Shot 2, cleaned. Shots 4-6 were 1/4” ctr-ctr. Dummy me forgot to zoom up from 8x. Hornady brass and CCI primers.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-27-18.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	163.5 KB 
ID:	4893

Super happy with Choate Tactical Stock/CDI Bottom Metal combo from E Arthur Brown Co (https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Detachable-Magazine-Conversion-Stock--Short-Action_p_15372.html). If I could have sprung another ~$250, I would probably have gone with a chasis from MDT. The Choate Tactical is a really stable platform, just heavy. Great for bench shooting or prone. It has a channel under the foregrip that allows you to adjust the bipod exactly where you want it. For $400 this is a solid option to upgrade the Tupperware and get into a detachable box mag. I can load up the bipod fully and there is no flex with the stock. The total package is around 14# now and in .223 the rifle hardly even moves when firing.

This is at 100-yards off bipod only with Hornady 73-grain ELD Match .223. I was concerned at the 12FV 1 in 9" twist having ability to stabilize a 73-grain bullet but no trouble at all.

Basic Member
    broke it down tonight. Moves fine out of the stock. Removed blind mag and inspected. Everything appears to be correct. Reinstalled, same thing. Loosening the front trigger guard screw removes the tension when sliding the bolt in.

I guess I could put a small washer on top of the "L" bracket to push it down when assembled then test. Thinking of anything I can do without permanently modifying it in case I decide to send it back. Might be as easy as bending the tab, on the "L" bracket that goes into the magwell, down making it push it down in further.

Basic Member
    On one of my 12FV replacement stocks I removed the L bracket all together and fixed the magazine in with epoxy putty. Just use a small amount in the 4 corners only. If you put any on the sides it will keep the feed lips from expanding when trying to load the rounds.

Basic Member
    Looked around in my screw bin for a thin washer. Ended up using an internal tooth loc washer between the stock and the "L" bracket. Bolt drops out when vertical now. I'll give an update when I get a scope on it. Talley rings n sling on the way from more gift certificates lol. So I'm still sitting at $70 out of pocket in it.

Basic Member
    6.5 CM was doing well tonight.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I believe my bolt was binding because of bending the action when tightening the stock screws not dragging on the top of the mag. Installed .006” shim stock in the front fixed mine. Still shooting the 52gr HPBT Midway seconds with 3031 and SB primers. I’m ready to go after that Fox that knows he’s safe 300 yards away. er...used to be.