Page 59 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4955565758596061626369 ... LastLast
Results 1,451 to 1,475 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by david12601 View Post
    I am going to order another 12 fv what caliber should I order to sell the bbl just looking to use the action.....what is the most sought after caliber ...........thanks
    I’d say probably 6.5 Creedmoor would be most sought after

Basic Member
    I was thinking that my other choice would be 308....going to make a 6x45 and a 6x47lapua.....

I purchased my third 12FV from Cabela's last week. A .204R. I have a 22-250 that shoots OK, a .223 that is a stinker, and now this one.

I did the usual tweaking before I shot it: Reduced the firing pin spring pressure, polish the BAS nose and cocking piece sleeve bearing surfaces, polish the baffle ramp and bolt handle ramp, remove the Accu-blade, shim the trigger and a few other doodads.

I also cleaned all the oil from the bottom part of the action and degreased the stock anywhere the action touched. I torqued the action screws to 35 in/lbs.
    I also thoroughly cleaned the barrel before shooting it, and it took 15 patch cycles (patch soaked with Pro Shot solvent, let sit a few minutes, patch out) to get it clean. On the last cycle I ran a patch of Kroil and let it sit a few minutes and then 3 dry patches. My bore scope showed a very fine chatter all the way through the barrel.

Took it to the range on Thursday and put 25 rounds of factory Hornady Superformance 32 gr and it shot OK... around 1" groups.

I shot it today in some great (unusual) weather: 50 deg/dead calm. Edited to ad: 100 yards, concrete bench, The Rock front rest, Protektor rear bag.

I used a handload I have had decent success in my AR-204.

After 2 fouling shots, this was the first group:

2nd Group: That "?" shot felt "funny".

3rd Group:

My Chrony currently has a .30 cal hole through it so no velocities yet. (Note to self: Don't lend your Chrony out.)

I also shot a H4895 load though it but not nearly as accurate. I tried a few reduced Blue Dot loads with 32gr V-Max, but it sprayed them. My AR-204 shoots the H4895 loads and the Blue Dot loads great.

Before I shot it, I had planned on chopping the barrel to 21.5" and threading it, but I think I'll leave it be for now.

I did order a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, and tracking indicates it will be here on Wednesday. Haven't decided if I'll stick it on this one or try it on the .223.

Added: This is the FIRST 12FV that loads and extracts/ejects perfectly. A rarity I've found.
    Last edited by Tko22; 12-16-2018 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Fixed typos and added yardage... And added some more stuff...

Basic Member
    Wondering what the most popular style of Boyd’s stock is for the 12fv rifles?

Team Savage

Looked at Boyd's and the Bobby Hart LRT. Just couldn't make myself like the AT-One so have a brand new Bobby Hart LRT waiting to be "re-opened" Christmas day. It came with pre-installed steel pillars so I will try it as is and see how it shoots. Caught a 10% off sale when I placed my order so covered most of the shipping.

Basic Member
    Nice group tko22. My 12fv's and my model 11 bolt cycle great. My older savages needed some tuning for bolt lift.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tko22 View Post
    I purchased my third 12FV from Cabela's last week. A .204R. I have a 22-250 that shoots OK, a .223 that is a stinker, and now this one.

I did the usual tweaking before I shot it: Reduced the firing pin spring pressure, polish the BAS nose and cocking piece sleeve bearing surfaces, polish the baffle ramp and bolt handle ramp, remove the Accu-blade, shim the trigger and a few other doodads.

I also cleaned all the oil from the bottom part of the action and degreased the stock anywhere the action touched. I torqued the action screws to 35 in/lbs.
    I also thoroughly cleaned the barrel before shooting it, and it took 15 patch cycles (patch soaked with Pro Shot solvent, let sit a few minutes, patch out) to get it clean. On the last cycle I ran a patch of Kroil and let it sit a few minutes and then 3 dry patches. My bore scope showed a very fine chatter all the way through the barrel.

Took it to the range on Thursday and put 25 rounds of factory Hornady Superformance 32 gr and it shot OK... around 1" groups.

I shot it today in some great (unusual) weather: 50 deg/dead calm. Edited to ad: 100 yards, concrete bench, The Rock front rest, Protektor rear bag.

I used a handload I have had decent success in my AR-204.

After 2 fouling shots, this was the first group:

2nd Group: That "?" shot felt "funny".

3rd Group:

My Chrony currently has a .30 cal hole through it so no velocities yet. (Note to self: Don't lend your Chrony out.)

I also shot a H4895 load though it but not nearly as accurate. I tried a few reduced Blue Dot loads with 32gr V-Max, but it sprayed them. My AR-204 shoots the H4895 loads and the Blue Dot loads great.

Before I shot it, I had planned on chopping the barrel to 21.5" and threading it, but I think I'll leave it be for now.

I did order a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, and tracking indicates it will be here on Wednesday. Haven't decided if I'll stick it on this one or try it on the .223.

Added: This is the FIRST 12FV that loads and extracts/ejects perfectly. A rarity I've found.
    Did you notice that if you overlay all three groups on top of each other you still have what looks like much less than MOA, despite differences in powder charge. Nice work.

Picked up 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor the other day, my first savage. Been eyeing these rifles for a year now, and a savage for nearly a decade. Wanted a stevens 200 back then but missed the boat but glad I pounced on this one for $379+tax at my local bass pro. I was a little leary of it being the shelf model but it looked fine and the guy said most stores have 1-2 on hand so most will be shelf models anyway. I'll probably use this for target fun, 100yds on paper 200-400 on steel, debating whether to go with a tactical or non-tactical scope. I'm thinking something budget like the primary arms tactical or a vortex crossfire for non-tactical. Any thoughts?

Basic Member
    I assume Cabela’s is not going to be running a big 12fv salewith a Savage rebate at the same time this year, but wanted to see if anyonehas heard different.

Basic Member
    I spoke to people at the gunn counter in Pennsylvania saturday and what people are asking about sale wise the 12 fv in particular......that is the big question......the answer they gave me was ( Cabelas does not own the store anymore its Bass Pros ballgame now) I bought one anyway.....who knows bass pro may raise the price after the holidays...…...

I spoke to people at the gunn counter in Pennsylvania saturday and what people are asking about sale wise the 12 fv in particular......that is the big question......the answer they gave me was ( Cabelas does not own the store anymore its Bass Pros ballgame now) I bought one anyway.....who knows bass pro may raise the price after the holidays...…...

Cabelas is gone.... I've noticed it's steady decline over the last 5-6 years as far as customer service and the availability (or lack there of) of a vast many things. Now, after BP took over, it's just like BP and all of the "QUALITY" that we used to go to Cabelas to get, is just the same cheap junk that all of the other "outdoor" stores sell.

I haven't seen anything in the catalog's over the last 3 months that even interest me.... So SAD!

Basic Member
    it is sad I have hunting and hiking boots purchased 15 years ago and they are still going strong.....the cabelas clothing line was top notch...good quality....while in the store on Saturday they were out of a few things that I was looking for......we have good memories

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info. I'll keep watching their ads, website, and savage promotion site.

Basic Member
    savage rebate ended dec 2nd …..don't know if they are going to have another

great, I get a 50 basspro giftcard for Christmas and now both the rebate and sale ran out..

Basic Member
    Crappy pic but I just plunked my 12FV 6.5CM into the XLR Element chassis I picked up on black Friday. It was a good shooter in the cheesy factory stock. Can't wait to see how it does from a solid platform.
    - Kirk -

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kcb38 View Post
    Crappy pic but I just plunked my 12FV 6.5CM into the XLR Element chassis I picked up on black Friday. It was a good shooter in the cheesy factory stock. Can't wait to see how it does from a solid platform.
    How do you like it? Let us know once you get some range time with it. In the market for a chassis also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Did anyone put in for the rebate? How do you check the status? I mailed mine in, online didnt work(no option for 12fv).

Basic Member
    Pulled my new 12fv out of the safe to install the scope and found there is no rear trigger guard screw installed.

WTF!

Seriously, I thought Savage was better at QC than this.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Rider View Post
    Pulled my new 12fv out of the safe to install the scope and found there is no rear trigger guard screw installed.

WTF!

Just call Savage customer service... They'll send you one...(should be at no charge) I'm sure the QC on the FV isn't quite as high as their other lines, that are not a Cabelas or Walmart exclusive model.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by frumpb681 View Post
    How do you like it? Let us know once you get some range time with it.
    It seems like a real quality piece. Hoping to have a range report by Saturday.
    - Kirk -

Basic Member

WTF!

Thats gotta suck! Might want to check the action screw torques too. Torque the front screw to 45 INCH pounds and rear screw (front trigger guard screw) to 25. The rear trigger guard screw only holds the guard and is not torqued, just snugged. If Savage doesn't come through for you in this week between Christmas and New Year, PM me and I'll put one in the mail to. I have several spares.

What caliber did you buy?
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Thats gotta suck! Might want to check the action screw torques too. Torque the front screw to 45 INCH pounds and rear screw (front trigger guard screw) to 25. The rear trigger guard screw only holds the guard and is not torqued, just snugged. If Savage doesn't come through for you in this week between Christmas and New Year, PM me and I'll put one in the mail to. I have several spares.

What caliber did you buy?
    Mighty nice of you to offer one up.

I picked up one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Plan to grab another this summer in .204 or 22-250

Mighty nice of you to offer one up.

I picked up one in 6.5 Creedmoor. Plan to grab another this summer in .204 or 22-250

They have .204s on sale now for $330....

too bad 6.5s arent

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    They have .204s on sale now for $330....

too bad 6.5s arent
    Must resist! The struggle is real.

The .204 was the only one at regular price when all the others were down to $379 when I bought mine