Page 56 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4652535455565758596066 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 1781

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Had a local smith look at the bolt drag while lapping my rings. He ended up filing them down a bit. I didn't ask how much. Works great.

I ended up trimmin the firing pin spring and adjusted it down to about 0.043" petrusion while there. The bolt lift is a lot better than it was. Was kinda scared to do it until I saw replacement firing pin assemblies for $20 on Midway.

You can also remove metal off the bottom by rubbing it on some sandpaper.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camar068 View Post
    Had a local smith look at the bolt drag while lapping my rings. He ended up filing them down a bit. I didn't ask how much. Works great.

I ended up trimmin the firing pin spring and adjusted it down to about 0.043" petrusion while there. The bolt lift is a lot better than it was. Was kinda scared to do it until I saw replacement firing pin assemblies for $20 on Midway.
    I think I paid $2.00 each for mine from Savage. Bought 6 and cherry picked the best one to cure cratering issues on a new 12FV.

Savage always has the cheapest prices around. Quick Customer service too. JMOP.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

So new guy here, first post and first precision bolt gun.

I want to change to a different stock/chassis that will take AICS mags. What do you guys recommend? I've looked at the Boyd's Pre Varmint with adjustable cheek inlet for a CDI, MDT ESS, MDT LSS XL Gen 2, KRG 180-Alpha, MPA BA Lite... other options I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

MDT HS3. XLR Envy (may not be avail for Savage yet). XLR Element. MPA BA Competition. McRees G7. McMillan A5, A6, A3, or A3/5 inletted for CDI or other DBM. Bell and Carlson Medalist (or one of their other stocks) inletted for CDI DBM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooldylocks View Post

I want to change to a different stock/chassis that will take AICS mags. What do you guys recommend? I've looked at the Boyd's Pre Varmint with adjustable cheek inlet for a CDI, MDT ESS, MDT LSS XL Gen 2, KRG 180-Alpha, MPA BA Lite... other options I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!
    Of course, we would recommend MDT :). We guarantee that you will like it. Give us a call anytime if you have questions!

Thanks in advance!
    Hey Gooldylocks! I have been running MDT chassis since I first built my precision rifle in 2015 and can't say enough great things about them! I have has a chance to have the LSS, ESS and now the LSS-XL Gen2 on my match rifle and all have been spectacular in their own way. Depending on what you're doing with the rifle (hunting, target, etc.) all their chassis can be modified to suit your end goal. If you're hunting, then go with the HS3 or LSS. Prone target shooting and ringing steel far away, then the Tac21 is a great option. If you're wanting to be portable and have great stability then the ESS and LSS-XL Gen2 are perfect. They really offer a chassis to suit every need!

....and it'd be great if MDT produced the HS3 for left hand Savage SA and LA actions too.

Thanks in advance!
    I love my MDT LSS-XL Gen2 with fixed buttstock interface. It is relatively light-weight, but has a nice long forend with M-Lok compatibility and an ambidextrous mag release that makes mag changes easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kudu View Post
    Hey Gooldylocks! I have been running MDT chassis since I first built my precision rifle in 2015 and can't say enough great things about them! I have has a chance to have the LSS, ESS and now the LSS-XL Gen2 on my match rifle and all have been spectacular in their own way. Depending on what you're doing with the rifle (hunting, target, etc.) all their chassis can be modified to suit your end goal. If you're hunting, then go with the HS3 or LSS. Prone target shooting and ringing steel far away, then the Tac21 is a great option. If you're wanting to be portable and have great stability then the ESS and LSS-XL Gen2 are perfect. They really offer a chassis to suit every need!
    I really like the ESS and LSS XL Gen2. But they are a bit more than I am looking to spend at this time. The LSS would be a good option, I just wish the handguard were a biiiiit longer.

Would the Accurate Mag bottom metal be a drop in for a bell and carlson stock? I was thinking the adjustable medalist 6 looks like a nice option.

My idea for this rifle is to be a match/hunting combo gun. I would like to be able to shoot the local club prone long range match, some PRS, and an accurate deer rifle. I hunt out in the desert in central Oregon, so lots of open space.

The other option would be... sell this rifle and get something like the Howa bravo that might be better suited to match shooting out of the box. But I would certainly end up deeper in the hole doing that.

Thanks in advance!
    I have my 10 in an ESS and love it, I just shot a 10 round group at 100 on the weekend and put 9 of them into one hole (had one flier which was all me) Fit and finish is awesome, can't be happier.

Basic Member
    just picked up a cabelas savage12fv 223 1in 9 twist …..what bullets are getting the best results with this rifle brand and weight ….thanks

Basic Member
    Not sure about the 12, but, my axis (also a 1 in 9 twist) likes the 69gn bullets best. Either Nosler match or Sierra Matchking. Varget powder has also proven to be very good, but, I have not tried that many.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Mine seems to like any quality ammo from 52-69 grains. V-Max, SMKs and TMKs. 69 TMK handloads are hitting 1/2 moa.

Basic Member
    I have about 40 different bullets mostly 45 to 60 grains and before I buy any heaver i just want to get an idea if there was any pattern to what this model 223 savage likes........this is my 14th savage rifle most are rebarreled

Basic Member
    The 1:9 twist should let you shoot up to ~73 grains...the heaviness will let you keep laying them down round after round...

Basic Member
    I have a 12FV and an 11THXP. Both 1:9 barrels.
    The 12FV shoots 77 Nosler CC bullets into 0.6-0.7" groups pretty regularly.
    Both barrels will stabilize the 80 Nosler CC...but barely. I haven't gotten the 80's to group under 1.2" yet.
    Neither will stabilize the 80 amax/eld.
    The 11THXP put the 40 nosler varmageddon into 0.38"...

I say all that to say- common bullet spin rules are more like guidelines. Good to follow, but something outside the norm might also be good.

I like DIY. The barrel nut just makes sense. -PB

Basic Member
    I assume you mean they are stable at 100yd. Have you tried the heavier bullets at longer ranges, 300, 400, etc?

With mine the 69SMK's start to disperse out at the 600+ ranges.

Basic Member
    The 12FV shooting 77's and my kid pulling the trigger beat me and my 10TR 308.
    500-yds. F-class.
    First time for both of us.
    He shot a 522-5x.
    $380 Bone stock 12fv.
    $100 4.5-18x40 bushnell scope.
    $30 Blackhawk bipod.
    He had the cheapest gun on the line, and beat 1/4 of the folks.

Anyways, yes...if they are stable at 100, they should be stable till transonic.

I like DIY. The barrel nut just makes sense. -PB

Basic Member
    If you're looking for a high BC bullet at a decent velocity, give the 53gr Hornady VMAX a try. Amazing G1 BC of .290 in such a light bullet. They shoot extremely well from my 12FV in an H-S Precision stock. They will consistently shoot under .5" with groups in the .1"s being common. Hodgdon Benchmark pushing them to just over 3400fps has become my standard prairie dog load. Check out the photo link in post #618 of this thread if you're interested in seeing how a few different loads performed in my 12FV.

Basic Member
    I have some 53 vmax so I will be trying them for sure . thanks and I will check out your post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by david12601 View Post
    I have some 53 vmax so I will be trying them for sure . thanks and I will check out your post
    That 53-gr vmax is devastating on small animals... :)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PB_Crisp View Post
    Anyways, yes...if they are stable at 100, they should be stable till transonic.
    Correct. I just wondered where that was for you with the heavier bullets. Sounds like 500 is good for your atmospheric conditions.

I am looking to buy that same stock. Question I have is, did you need to open the stock for the bull barrel?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudgun View Post
    I am looking to buy that same stock. Question I have is, did you need to open the stock for the bull barrel?
    If you are asking about the PST114 from H-S Precision, it is a drop-in fit with plenty of barrel channel clearance.