Page 21 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I owned a Savage 12FV pre-accutrigger several years ago in .223 that I used mostly for prairie dog in Wyoming and South Dakota. That rifle could shoot and many hits were made on prairie dogs out to 800 yards with that rifle. My 10FP in .308 has also been a great, accurate rifle. I really didn't need a 6.5 Creedmor but at this price I couldn't pass it up.

Regular price $419
    -$100 off Sale Price $319
    -$100 Visa Gift Card mail in rebate offer ( I spoke to a Savage rep today and confirmed the 12FV is eligible for this offer in addition to the 12FVC)
    -5% Veterans Discount
    -$20 from a Cabelas Bucks coupon that came in the mail yesterday
    -$50 Cabelas gift card that was on sale last month for $41.00
    -2x $50 Cabelas Gift cards from my wedding last month
    +free shipping
    +No sales tax in Oregon
    +$10 Oregon State Police background check fee
    $84 out the door using slightly fuzzy math.
    And I thought I bought my last two cheap. You almost got a rifle for free.

For those of you that don't know, you can buy the Cabela's gift cards at a discount on eBay. I think they sell them in $50 and $100 increments, and you are usually limited to buying 5 of the $50 ones and 3 of the $100 ones. They don't expire. You just have to catch them on sale as they go fast. Often times the $50 gift cards are sold for $40 each. I was able to use 7 of them to save $70 on my 12FV purchase. Add in the $100 Visa gift card, my total price was $178.79.

welderman
    Stick a fork in it. It's done. The sale is over.

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by welderman View Post
    Stick a fork in it. It's done. The sale is over.
    So now let's see those orders get filled! Day 12 and still "in process"

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    I owned a Savage 12FV pre-accutrigger several years ago in .223 that I used mostly for prairie dog in Wyoming and South Dakota. That rifle could shoot and many hits were made on prairie dogs out to 800 yards with that rifle. My 10FP in .308 has also been a great, accurate rifle. I really didn't need a 6.5 Creedmor but at this price I couldn't pass it up.

Regular price $419
    -$100 off Sale Price $319
    -$100 Visa Gift Card mail in rebate offer ( I spoke to a Savage rep today and confirmed the 12FV is eligible for this offer in addition to the 12FVC)
    -5% Veterans Discount
    -$20 from a Cabelas Bucks coupon that came in the mail yesterday
    -$50 Cabelas gift card that was on sale last month for $41.00
    -2x $50 Cabelas Gift cards from my wedding last month
    +free shipping
    +No sales tax in Oregon
    +$10 Oregon State Police background check fee
    $84 out the door using slightly fuzzy math.
    That's either the new math or what the government uses. Great deal no matter how you add it up. Enjoy

Basic Member
    I received an arrival notice today for the Creedmoor I ordered Monday. 4 days total, that's including the day I ordered it. I probably need to look it over as best I can when I pick it up, because it is odd my order was handled so quickly for that model. (I usually don't have that kind of luck.) The .308 I ordered previously on 09/13/2017 is still in process. Go figure. But, with the sale over, I think many will start seeing their orders shipped. I think everyone will have their rifles in time to send off for the Visa gift card, which is the most important thing to me. I just hope I don't have to go through any trouble with that.

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I received an arrival notice email today for the Creedmoor I ordered Monday. 4 days total, that's including the day I ordered. I probably need to look it over as best I can when pick it up, because it is odd my order was handled so quickly for that model. (I usually don't have that kind of luck.) The .308 I ordered previously on 09/13/2017 is still in process. Go figure. But, with the sale over, I think many will start seeing their orders shipped. Worst case scenario, but I think everyone will have their rifles in time to send off for the Visa gift card, which is the most important thing to me. I just hope I don't have to go through any trouble with that.
    Happy to hear that you got yours in a timely manner. :-)Guess there was one in the region to fill your order. I am in the Northeast and am on day 12 (9/9) and still nothing. I was prepared to wait but there really is no rhyme or reason on how they fill orders other than all orders are handled out of the Nebraska location and sent to the other places. I am assuming it will ship eventually but according to my local store they said I could be waiting months. I suppose one could see why it is frustrating when later orders are being filled and the rifle is showing as available in limited quantities and I am sitting here with a pile of 6.5 ammo itching to be sent down range. Crossing my fingers for a Friday surprise!

Basic Member
    Negan,

I just don't believe you will be waiting months. I think them telling you that was a little irresponsible, because I don't think it is true. I would think Cabela's has an agreement with Savage to crank out these rifles in a fairly timely manner. I believe they have been running these intermittent sales with the 12FV for a while now, so I am sure it will all sort itself out sooner than later. I'm not saying you might not have to wait a month, maybe two. But, I would think you will see your rifle before the Visa gift offer is over. I know that is technically months, but that is my worst case scenario. That's just bad business that I think Cabela's would want to avoid.

I would love for you to have received mine instead. I was thinking about a Creedmoor, but planned to buy a .308, then maybe a Creedmoor later. But, the deal was too good, so I decided to go ahead and purchase a Creedmoor too. Other than some powders and primers, I have virtually nothing for the Creedmoor. I did order some Lapua Brass, dies and some bullets for it last night. I need to order a scope base, and I will make do with one of the scopes I already own. But, I certainly did not plan on receiving it so soon.

Basic Member
    Yup, I called Savage, and first they told me "no"....then got on phone with Cabelas, was sounding like Cabelas was going to make it good, but Savage called me back and said sorry, their mistake. It is included.

Russellc

Basic Member
    @ Team Savage: OK, I looked at it a little closer and I see it (MDT chassis) has what is included for the conversion, all appears to be included. The last question is, Apparently the internal blind mag must be removed. I just mounted a base and scope on my Savage and don't want to remove the stock now that it is together. I am looking now for an exploded pick of the 12FV to aid, but what is involved with the internal mags removal?

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    @ Team Savage: OK, I looked at it a little closer and I see it (MDT chassis) has what is included for the conversion, all appears to be included. The last question is, Apparently the internal blind mag must be removed. I just mounted a base and scope on my Savage and don't want to remove the stock now that it is together. I am looking now for an exploded pick of the 12FV to aid, but what is involved with the internal mags removal?

Russellc
    The internal mag will stay with the Factory 12FV stock. There is a clip that holds it in place. All you have to do is unbolt the barreled action from the stock and drop it in to the chassis. Bolt it in and insert a compatible AICS mag. THAT IS IT. You don't need anything from the factory mag assembly for the chassis.

Basic Member
    UPdate, I found a schematic for the 12FV on a google search, looking for answer now. Not overthinking, I just dont want to get everything here and need some part or tool I dont have necessitating another order. Makes me wonder what the purpose of the conversion kit is, unless someone is cutting out the plastic stock, or using one that unlike the MDT chassis, has no trigger guard and so forth? I'd rather have the MDT chassis and save the 209.00 for conversion kit! Kind of like saving 209.00 on the chassis.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Final answer @ Team Savage : Reading the MDT questions and answers, a gent inquired if his 110 Savage W/ blind mag would work, Answer is Yes.

Thanks for the answers, I was about to get the conversion kit first, and wait for the chassis! Hopefully this will help another here. I saved 209.00 for something I didnt need.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Great! Thank You! I almost bought the 209.00 kit I dont need. You guys are the greatest.

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam38654 View Post
    Not to be a Debbie downer but I would just be to worried that the rifle wouldn't be in in time to send of for the rebate. Granted Savage makes there own barrel so they don't have to wait on a shipment of blanks but who knows.
    I called the promo company with that very question. They told me not to worry, it would relate back to purchase date!

Russellc

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adam38654 View Post
    There is a few other 223 and 308 barrels on there for upwards of $200 that looks suspiciously like 12FV take offs. Shame shame.
    I have seen a site that modifies Savage, and of course carries match barrels from a few well know manufacturers. They sell the "new" take offs, 22" to 24" barrels are 85 to 115 range, 26 inch jump to 185 ish. So your seller does seem a bit high in comparison...

Russellc

Negan
    Negan,

I just don't believe you will be waiting months. I think them telling you that was a little irresponsible, because I don't think it is true. I would think Cabela's has an agreement with Savage to crank out these rifles in a fairly timely manner. I believe they have been running these intermittent sales with the 12FV for a while now, so I am sure it will all sort itself out sooner than later. I'm not saying you might not have to wait a month, maybe two. But, I would think you will see your rifle before the Visa gift offer is over. I know that is technically months, but that is my worst case scenario. That's just bad business that I think Cabela's would want to avoid.

I would love for you to have received mine instead. I was thinking about a Creedmoor, but planned to buy a .308, then maybe a Creedmoor later. But, the deal was too good, so I decided to go ahead and purchase a Creedmoor too. Other than some powders and primers, I have virtually nothing for the Creedmoor. I did order some Lapua Brass, dies and some bullets for it last night. I need to order a scope base, and I will make do with one of the scopes I already own. But, I certainly did not plan on receiving it so soon.
    Thank you for your kind regards and for taking the time to reply. I really hope the way you see it is the way it plays out. I agree with your assessment of how it was not good practice for them to be so quick to paint a doom and gloom scenario. I hope now that is sale is over they can catch up. It is looking like no Friday surprise on day 13 hehe. Enjoy your CM though and have a good weekend.

P.S. sorry this sounds like a 5th grader I am on my phone and it is a chore to type eloquently.. Ha

Negan
    Talked with corporate again....They said still no update for my order. She did tell me that they are expecting a shipment from Savage on October 25th. Who knows what will be on it. I figure its useless to complain anymore as I am now looking at November at the earliest. Hopefully will stay warm like it has been so I can at least get to the range before next Spring. I am thoroughly disappointed at this point with how they filled these orders. In any case, thanks for the tips and for letting me vent. Have a nice weekend! :-)

PS....The site has them back at "Limited Quantities" "Only One Left"

Negan
    I'm just sharing at this point, as I am tired of worrying about it. In any case, I received an explanation about how the orders work and why I will be empty handed until November or later. They said that there are over 1000 of the 6.5 CMs on back-order and those orders go back to 8/26/2017. Shipments to retail stores are never pulled to fill online orders and there will be some of the 6.5s arriving in some locations within the next week or two. (Not that is matters because the sale is over) In any case, online orders are filled from their warehouse and the warehouse will not be receiving any 6.5s until 10/25. Add in processing and shipping to the various locales that could add another week or more. So anyone that has one "in-process" is looking at November. The guys that received them from online orders after 8/26 must have had divine intervention because she was taken back by that as well. Unless something changes, I will call this, to the relief of many, my last post complaining about this. I suppose I will go and shine all the ammo I grabbed because it will be looking like spring now until I can get out. Have an awesome weekend!

Basic Member
    I don't see a problem anywhere. They offered a great deal (the best i have ever seen, whatever the product) that was not limited to stock on hand. It offered the option to place an order on "back order". Why expect certain privileges that might go along with that such as preferential treatment with regards to who gets what when? The fact we get an opportunity to buy at this price is enough. Whether i wait a week, a month or 6 months to get it should not be my concern. The company did not suggest "first come, first served" or anything similar. They said you canback order it. In the shooting world, that is rare and can often mean 12 months. Moreover, I dont see how waiting till Nov means a person cant shoot till May.

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I don't see a problem anywhere. They offered a great deal (the best i have ever seen, whatever the product) that was not limited to stock on hand. It offered the option to place an order on "back order". Why expect certain privileges that might go along with that such as preferential treatment with regards to who gets what when? The fact we get an opportunity to buy at this price is enough. Whether i wait a week, a month or 6 months to get it should not be my concern. The company did not suggest "first come, first served" or anything similar. They said you canback order it. In the shooting world, that is rare and can often mean 12 months. Moreover, I dont see how waiting till Nov means a person cant shoot till May.

One thing is for sure, and that is you are right about this being a good deal. I wasn't looking for special treatment nor do I deserve it, but I would argue though that this is, in fact, a first come first served opportunity. I specifically asked this when I ordered it. "backorders are a filled in the order they are received" This is why I was surprised to see orders placed after mine were being filled. I also received a lot of lip service. "It will be a few weeks" "It will be a few months" "The rebate works" "The rebate doesn't work" and these responses coming from corporate all the way down to the gun counter. I just wanted an answer and I don't feel a super deal is an excuse not to give one. I really don't think they had any idea it would be this huge of a response or they were not prepared for it. In any case, I finally got the answer I was looking for so all is well.

As far as 12 months, I don't see any average Joe like myself waiting 12 months for a gun. Something specialized or custom maybe but not for an over the counter buy. Just my opinion. Based on your posts you certainly know more than I.

As far as shooting, winters for me are hit or miss, sometimes we get dumped on and sometimes we have mild ones. I am at the mercy of the ranges. I am hoping more like March rather than May. Better yet, 50s and 60s in November like it was a few years ago.

Thanks again for the response.

I periodically checked the inventory status of the 12FV's on the Cabelas website over the last couple weeks. Inventory changed quite often.................sometimes several times within the span of an hour or three. At one point only the .223 chambering (the one I wanted this time) was 'backorderable'. I was following along in this thread as folks lamented having their orders on backorder.

At other times, all chamberings were 'backorderable' except the 6.5creed chambering which showed 'limited stock' with 6 and then 5 (shortly thereafter) available for order. A day or two later, only the .22-250 and .204Ruger chamberings were available. Then 3 .223 chambered rifles became available for order (while I was tied up and not able to place my order)..............and then an hour later became 'backorderable' RIGHT before I was going to order.

Finally, last Tuesday morning I decided to go ahead with a backorder just to get the $319 price as the sale was ending Thursday. Hemmed and hawed (didn't want to have a multi-month wait for a backordered rifle). Went out to take care of a couple errands. A couple hours later when I returned home, ONE .223 chambered rifle was available for ordering. Snagged it immediately! :D

Status then showed 'backorderable' for all chamberings. On Wednesday night, there were again a couple .223's available along with one other chambering (.22-250 IIRC). Shortly after that, the sale ended and all chamberings once again showed 'backorderable' for $419....

Placed my order on Tues 9/19. My order was "in process" shortly after I placed it. By mid day Wed 9/20 (last day of the sale) my order showed "shipped" with a 5-8 business day projected transit estimate (with the long end of that being Friday 9/29). Got a surprise call from the Reno store today (Fri 9/22) telling me that my rifle had arrived there and would be shipped to my FFL dealer in the PRC as soon as they received his FFL info (there are no Cabelas stores in California......******). Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I feel for you guys that ordered before me and are still having to wait. That's usually me.......
    Last edited by Aaron L; 09-23-2017 at 12:41 AM. Reason: got my timing all mixed up.....

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron L View Post
    I periodically checked the inventory status of the 12FV's on the Cabelas website over the last couple weeks. Inventory changed quite often.................sometimes several times within the span of an hour or three. At one point only the .223 chambering (the one I wanted this time) was 'backorderable'. I was following along in this thread as folks lamented having their orders on backorder.

At other times, all chamberings were 'backorderable' except the 6.5creed chambering which showed 'limited stock' with 6 and then 5 (shortly thereafter) available for order. A day or two later, only the .22-250 and .204Ruger chamberings were available. Then 3 .223 chambered rifles became available for order (while I was tied up and not able to place my order)..............and then an hour later became 'backorderable' RIGHT before I was going to order.

Finally, last Tuesday morning I decided to go ahead with a backorder just to get the $319 price as the sale was ending Thursday. Hemmed and hawed (didn't want to have a multi-month wait for a backordered rifle). Went out to take care of a couple errands. A couple hours later when I returned home, ONE .223 chambered rifle was available for ordering. Snagged it immediately! :D

Status then showed 'backorderable' for all chamberings. On Wednesday night, there were again a couple .223's available along with one other chambering (.22-250 IIRC). Shortly after that, the sale ended and all chamberings once again showed 'backorderable' for $419....

Placed my order on Tues 9/19. My order was "in process" shortly after I placed it. By mid day Wed 9/20 (last day of the sale) my order showed "shipped" with a 5-8 business day projected transit estimate (with the long end of that being Friday 9/29). Got a surprise call from the Reno store today (Fri 9/22) telling me that my rifle had arrived there and would be shipped to my FFL dealer in the PRC as soon as they received his FFL info (there are no Cabelas stores in California......******). Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I feel for you guys that ordered before me and are still having to wait. That's usually me.......

Wow, that is definitely some sweet luck. Yeah, that is usually me as well and this time is no different. Enjoy! I'll update in November or December when mine arrives.. haha

Basic Member
    Right now, I just looked and Cabela's is showing limited stock for the 22-250 and 6.5 Creedmoor. What I found interesting was that I initially checked used Google Chrome. I did not realize the page display on Google Chrome is totally different that using Firefox. On the Firefox page, it displays all the rifles in a list and only notes whether it is Backorder, Limited Supply or In Stock. With Chrome, you use a drop down box and pick the caliber. It then pops up below whether the rifle is available for that cartridge, but it also shows how many rifles are available online. I am sure many of you know that, I wasn't aware of that feature on Google Chrome since I mostly use Firefox when going to the Cabela's site. Currently, it is showing 1 rifle available for the 6.5 and 22-250. All others are Backorderable.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    Wow, that is definitely some sweet luck. Yeah, that is usually me as well and this time is no different. Enjoy! I'll update in November or December when mine arrives.. haha

Thanks. Hopefully yours will come sooner rather than later. There's even a bit more luck involved with my rifle. Last month I'd attempted to get a Howa 1500 barreled action for a great price. The FFL guy I was using kept jerking me around and the order ended up not being placed. Finally got my $ back from the FFL guy last week (while I was watching this thread and the Cabelas site......thinking about how I'd wished I could order the Savage).

The $100 off sale price AND the $100 rebate made the net price less than I'd put down for the Howa. Got my $ back and was then able to order the 12FV just in the nick of time. I'll get a Howa action (through my 'new' FFL guy) sometime later. For now, I'll be enjoying this 12FV (and then the rebate card) when they arrive.:thumbsup:

Cabelas charged me $26.45 in sales tax as the rifle was going to a retail store (Reno, NV). I talked to the Reno folks and they said they'd take the $25 it's gonna take to ship my rifle to my FFL guy (from the $26.45 tax that they charged) and will refund the remaining $1.45 to me. My 'new' FFL guy correctly told me to talk to the Reno folks about the sales tax, since he was going to have to charge me Ca state sales tax when I take possession of the rifle from him. At least that means that I've already paid for the shipping, and won't have to make a separate payment for it to get the rifle headed to my FFL guy....

Right now, I just looked and Cabela's is showing limited stock for the 22-250 and 6.5 Creedmoor. What I found interesting was that I initially checked used Google Chrome. I did not realize the page display on Google Chrome is totally different that using Firefox. On the Firefox page, it displays all the rifles in a list and only notes whether it is Backorder, Limited Supply or In Stock. With Chrome, you use a drop down box and pick the caliber. It then pops up below whether the rifle is available for that cartridge, but it also shows how many rifles are available online. I am sure many of you know that, I wasn't aware of that feature on Google Chrome since I mostly use Firefox when going to the Cabela's site. Currently, it is showing 1 rifle available for the 6.5 and 22-250. All others are Backorderable.
    Funny that you mention the different web page layouts. When I was watching the Cabelas inventory (with Chrome) I was viewing the page that you described with the drop down menu for the specific chambering. That's where I could see that there were 6 6.5Creeds available at one time, etc. Two days after I ordered the rifle, my browser now takes me to the other page (with the chart listing all of the chamberings at once), even though I'm still using Chrome. Not sure what changed........