Thread: Busnell sharpshooter or cabelas pine ridge 4x12

Dirtracer27x

Busnell sharpshooter or cabelas pine ridge 4x12

Ok so I just purchased my 111 hunter xp in 30-06.it will come with the standard bush ell sharpshooter 3x9 scope.plan is to do some target and pig hunting,occasional deer or elk.after reading all the reviews this scope looks to be very mediocre.my plan was to upgrade but only when my budget allowed.i do have a new cabelas branded pine ridge 4x12 scope I purchased a few years ago from cabelas on a impulse buy because of the price.would anyone have any idea on what scope would be a better scope to use until I can upgrade to something better.looking around $200-$250 when I'm ready.thanks

Team Savage
    I would be looking hard at primary arms scopes

Anything will likely be better than the package scope so I say give the Pine Ridge a try. Worst case scenario is it takes a crap and you have to put the Sharpshooter back on. As for recommendations for a better scope down the road, that's hard to do since you've given us no indication of how you'll be using the rifle and at what distances you'll be shooting.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

nevernoluck2
    I would go with the Cabelas scope too. Never a fan of cheap package scopes. In the $2-250 price range I am partial to Redfield.

Dirtracer27x
    My plan is to do some hog hunting and possibly some deer.probably getting out no more than 200-300yds at most.

Basic Member
    My scopes have always been a issue. I cannot afford a high end scope. I hunt a very rugged area where falling is not an uncommon occurrence. This also raises the question of do I really want a high end scope. I hunt pig, axis deer, goats and feral cattle. I currently use a Bushnell Elite 3200 in 3-10. The only issue I have with the scope is when the clouds roll in, the scope is not quite "bright" enough - animals I can sort of see are obscured in the scope. I am seriously considering a Weaver fixed 4 power scope for my next purchase. This is because while hunting, I rarely use anything other than the 3 power setting and I have read that with a fixed power scope, since there are less lenses, they are brighter.

I do agree with the other posters that I would put the Cabelas scope on a keep the package scope as a backup until you can pickup the scope that you really suites you.