Thread: 11 VT in 308. Newb questions

Batpig

11 VT in 308. Newb questions

First off let me apologize for what has probably been discussed many times on here. However, I am new to Savage, and bolt actions in general and have some questions. I have spent all morning, the past 5 hours, searching this site and google for answers, and am only slightly less confused.

So here is my situation. I just purchased a Model 11 VT in .308. What I have found out through reading on here is they are the Dick's Sporting Goods exclusive, and seem to have some differences even in that line. I picked it up for what I thought was a good deal, $300 tax tag and title. This particular weapon has the plastic injected bottom metal (removable type), the axis style magazine (plastic release on front of mag), and the bottom bolt release. I am wanting to make a few changes to it, and I hoping that I can. First i would like a better stock. Even with the fatter front end, this one still seems flimsy to me. I also want to change this out to actual metal bottom metal. I would also like a better magazine release, something along the lines of the Accurate Mag setup, or at least something not attached to the mag itself. Is all of this too much to wish for with this rifle? I have been looking at stocks, and see that Boyd's now makes one for the bottom bolt release, but it may or may not need bottom metal. That is fine as I want metal anyway. So, if I purchase the stock and the metal, is there a way to get a better style mag? That is without having the gun converted to a top bolt release, which in reality I would actually like to do as well, but probably never will.

Thanks for you help. Again, I apologize for the newb questions.

Heavyweight
    There are plenty of aftermarket accessories for your rifle. If your budget will allow, I would check out the bottom metal from CDI.....they make one for the bottom bolt release and it takes AI mags....gonna run you about $200 for the bottom metal plus the mags.

Boyds makes a great variety of stocks that will work for you....but just about everyone makes a stock now that will fit the bottom bolt release including McMillan and Bell and Carlson. There are endless options out there.....just a matter of what you want to spend.

Be safe!

Heavyweight

Batpig
    Thanks Heavyweight! That is very reassuring. I was starting to worry that I got duped! lol

I will check in to CDI, as that is in the budget. I figured this was a gun that was cheap enough, and already having the heavy barrel I was excited to build off of it. With all the different configurations Savage seems to make, it was hard to find out what actually worked on this. Thanks again.

66GTO
    I have the same Dick's Special 11VT in .308. After reading all I could find on the internet I was confused. Some reports said the Choate 25-06-01 would work with some minor modification, but some said not. Even Choate's website said it would not work with the Axis type magazine. Some people said you had to convert to the traditional bottom metal and magazine for it to work.

Well I took the stock magazine bottom plastic "metal" apart and test fitted it into a Savage Accustock on one of my other Savages. From what I had read it was not supposed to fit, but it did. Based on that I ordered the Choate 25-06-01 from Midway.

I switched everything over from the Savage stock. To my complete amazement and delight everything dropped right in without any grinding or modification. The stock action screws fit the Choate stock. Just be sure to use the shorter of the two washer/spacers from the Savage stock under the front action screw, otherwise the screw will bottom out on the bolt. The inspection slip in the box from Choate was dated 12-2014, so maybe the recently manufactured stocks have been modified to fit the 11VT. All I know is it fits my 11VT perfectly. Even with the bull barrel there is more than enough clearance to free float the barrel and the the tang doesn't touch the stock..

100 yds.
    Last edited by 66GTO; 09-09-2015 at 09:11 PM.

Basic Member
    It's just a matter of knowing what you have in "generic terms".

Basically, you have a short action, bottom bolt release center feed action. Savage does make all metal detachable box mag's and it's required metal frame for these, and they run about $150 a set. They also have metal trigger guards avail for about $25-30. Be sure to get the type for the bottom bolt release models. As for stocks, just look for one that fits the "shot action, center feed, bottom bolt release, detachable box mag (or blind mag, as it is currently) "

Batpig
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the info.