Thread: 111 trophy hunter bottom bolt release issue

Pikey

111 trophy hunter bottom bolt release issue

Hello. I have a 111 trophy Hunter in 30–06. I took the stock off to adjust the Accu trigger. While the stock was off I also painted it. When I reassemble the rifle everything works fine until I put the trigger guard on. With the trigger guard on when I push the bolt handle down the firing pin drops. If I take the bolt release assembly out of the trigger guard and then everything works as it should. But as soon as I put the button back into the trigger guard and install it on the rifle it does not work correctly any ideas? Thanks in advance

Try adjusting your trigger pull back up a 1/4 or 1/2 turn to see if that resolves the issue. If you go too low on the accutrigger it will trip the safety feature of the design will trip.

If that doesn't fix it then I'd try scraping off the paint anywhere around where the bolt release mechanism is as the thickness may be enough to prevent the button from extending back out all the way. Haven't played around much with the bottom bolt release system so hopefully someone with more hands-on with it will chime in.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

lrshooting
    The bottoms are exactly the same as top other than the fact that rather than the release going up, it goes down. Sounds to me like he got his trigger tweaked in a way he doesn't want it. Although check and make sure your release button is able to slide completely forward Pikey. Other wise it's holding the bolt release back and therefore sear which will cause the firing pin to drop. Paint could easily bind up the release button.

Pikey
    Quote Originally Posted by lrshooting View Post
    The bottoms are exactly the same as top other than the fact that rather than the release going up, it goes down. Sounds to me like he got his trigger tweaked in a way he doesn't want it. Although check and make sure your release button is able to slide completely forward Pikey. Other wise it's holding the bolt release back and therefore sear which will cause the firing pin to drop. Paint could easily bind up the release button.
    Okay, thank you. I will check this evening. The trigger guard and button where removed when I painted it. It works fine out of the stock, in the stock, in the stock with the trigger guard on and the release button (slide) removed. But with the trigger gaurd on and the button in place it malfunctions. You say that I might have it tweaked. Any suggestions on untweaking it?
    Last edited by Pikey; 09-04-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Pikey
    Well, I played with it for a few hours again tonight. It seems if I adjust the accutrigger to the hardest setting then the pin does not drop when pushing the bolt handle down. But, the safety acts odd. If it is in the center position and I pull the trigger, then release the trigger and push the safety forward sometimes it gets stuck and other times it moves forward and the pin drops. I'm at a loss here. I wonder if savage will still do warranty work to my trigger even after I modified my stock? If not, then I would rather not waste the time sending to them and find a good gunsmith near me.

lrshooting
    I'm not sure since I don't have the gun in hand to play with. You might just take it to a gun Smith and if your worried about cost, just gave him diagnose it and give you a quote first. It could and probably will he something minor, but messing with a trigger and having funny safetys and dropped firing pins is gonna get someone killed or hurt. Id take it and you'll feel better when it's side done

Pikey
    Well, it took it to two different smiths in my area. Unfortunately, they both specialized in custom work and 99% of their work is on hand guns. Neither of them really wanted to touch it being that there is an issue with the safety working properly also. So, I sent it back to savage on Wednesday, they should have it Monday. I guess I will see what they say. The more I messed with the accutrigger the worse it got. The sear was sliding up against the aggutrigger everytime I lowered the bolt handle with any force. This was with the accutrigger adjusted at any position and it was happening when it was not installed in the stock. I even covered the entire bottom of the action in chalk and set it in the stock to see if I could see it hitting anywhere and it was not. I hope the fact that I did work to the stock does not void the warranty. Even if it does I still need it fixed anyway. Thanks everyone for your help.