Thread: Savage Model 11 feed problems

Basic Member

Savage Model 11 feed problems

My Savage Model 11 with its blind magazine feeds unreliably. It is frustrating pulling the trigger on the 2nd shot and having the rifle go "click". Is there a simple fix - is it just a matter of removing some of the metal from the top of the magazine?

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiku_Rodney View Post
    My Savage Model 11 with its blind magazine feeds unreliably. It is frustrating pulling the trigger on the 2nd shot and having the rifle go "click". Is there a simple fix - is it just a matter of removing some of the metal from the top of the magazine?
    Just to make sure, are you meaning your rifle goes click because it's not firing or because you cycled the action and it didn't feed a new one in. I assume it's the latter, but you never know :-).

Either way, it could be several possibilities. Have you tried different rounds? Maybe your oal is to long and causing the nose to not clear properly. Also check your spring. I've had a gun that somebody left the mag full over a long period of time and it made the spring shorter. Didn't feed right till I stretched it back out.

Could be other things, but those two are what comes to mind. Usually as long as you have not messed with the original configuration of the rifle, the only things that can change is the spring or OAL of your ammo. Everything else is basically solid steel and I'm sure you haven't worn it out that much. If you had it bedded, it could have changed the mag box if done improperly. Just play with it. Some others well chime in with suggestions to

Basic Member
    If the cartridge is not getting picked up as you close the bolt, it might need to have the entire action seated deeper in the stock. It means grinding down the pillars a smidge then relieving the bedding. If it were mine, i would rebed the whole action.

If it is a plastic stock you might want to try seating the mag bigher in the mag well.

dpollard
    I sometimes have this problem with my model 11. Usually it is because I short stroke the bolt and it doesn't pick the new round up. For whatever reason when I cycle the bolt back it comes to a hard stop and I have to give it a little extra pull to get it past that hard stop to pick the new round up. Not sure if this is common with these actions or if I too have a problem. Certainly not the most fluid when chambering a new round. I just figured it was because it's a Savage.

Basic Member
    It seems the back end of the cartridge is a tad too low. The bolt face will slide over the base of the cartridge. I then have to stop an physically fiddle with the cartridge for the bolt to pick it up. I am going to take the action out of the stock tonight. I thought the magazine box was part of the action assembly. I have to take a closer look and when I have it apart I might as well stretch out the spring. Thanks! I will let you know what I find.

lrshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiku_Rodney View Post
    It seems the back end of the cartridge is a tad too low. The bolt face will slide over the base of the cartridge. I then have to stop an physically fiddle with the cartridge for the bolt to pick it up. I am going to take the action out of the stock tonight. I thought the magazine box was part of the action assembly. I have to take a closer look and when I have it apart I might as well stretch out the spring. Thanks! I will let you know what I find.
    Are you sure you havent bent your feed lips on accident? Bending those inwards at all will cause the cartridge to sit lower and not get picked up. Or maybe the mag box is jammed so tight in the gun its forcing it slightly closed. Any variance at all will cause problems.

Basic Member
    The magazine box on my Savage is an integral part of the action. I stretched out the spring and using a screwdriver and mallet, "tapped" on the magazine feed lips. lrshooting, you are correct - I do not see much of a change but the rifle is feeding consistently now.