Thread: Newbee to Savage rifles somewhat confused

revbc

Newbee to Savage rifles somewhat confused

I traded for a Savage Tactical 110FP 223 caliber. Is this considered a short action or long action? I was looking at a replacement stock and the action screws measure 8" center to center, this is the measurement for a long action.

I just ordered a one piece base for a short action flat back receiver. Did I mess up?

Thanks for your help
    Bobby

revbc

Re: Newbee to Savage rifles somewhat confused

Think I found the answer myself. It seem to be an older rifle (1997 or earlier) so it is a short action caliber on a long action rifle, correct??

Team Savage

I beleive that is correct. The flat back is definately an older, stagger feed model. And I beleive the first Savage short actions were built on a long action frame.

Basic Member

If it's actually a 110FP (rather than a 10FP), then yes, it's a long action.

.223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

There's still only long and short, and the 110 is a long. Even the screw spacing hasn't changed on the longs.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ5
    There's still only long and short, and the 110 is a long. Even the screw spacing hasn't changed on the longs.
    WRONG.. there is a short 110 screw spacing.

did you look at the link?

First Generation Short Actions:

The 1st Generation short actions are often incorrectly referred to as "Series J" actions. These actions will have a three digit model number (110, 112, etc), but are approximately 0.540" shorter than the standard long action.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Basic Member

When was the FP series introduced? I recall it to have been post-1987, but perhaps I'm mistaken. The OP said that he's determined his rifle to be a 1997 or earlier gun. If my recollection of the introduction time-frame of the FP series is correct, and if the OP's dating of his gun is correct, then the gun's a long action. I suddenly feel like saying that this all also assumes a factory gun. If it's a Frankenstein, all bets are off.

You'll notice that in my first reply, I said "If it's actually a 110FP..." I dropped it from my second reply because I thought the context of the thread was established. I see now that I should not have done that, and I apologize if I've confused anyone. If you think it would be better, I'll modify that post.

Again, if I've mis-recollected the introduction of the FP series, please let me know, as that could make a difference to what the OP asked about.

revbc

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all your help and knowledge. I "believe" it is a factory rifle. The barrel states 110FP, the bolt says "Savage Tactical" ,the serial # is F293???. It seem to measure about 8" front to rear screws, and about 5" from the front to the middle screw. So, I think I've determined it to be a long action. It just confused me, not knowing some of the history. I assumed a 223 would be on a short action, my Savage 10 7mm-08 is a short action.

Bobby

Basic Member

Yes, it's a long action. Early FPs were built on long actions even if they were chambered for short-action cartridges. That's what I was trying to convey earlier, obviously unsuccessfully (sorry about that), and that confused some people. Sorry you had to re-order the right base for your gun. Hope you like it; I think it'll be great!