Thread: Any purpose for variable power scopes ?

Basic Member

Any purpose for variable power scopes ?

Given the wide variety of good fixed-power scopes and the good performance of quick-detachable scope mounts...

Is there any legitimate purpose for variable-powered scopes ?

Eric in NC

Re: Any purpose for variable power scopes ?

They let you turn the power down as a Bull PD charges home. I can't swap scopes out that quick and if the power is up too high, all you can see is fur.

Basic Member

Actually, that is a good reason to use a M1 Garand or a 500 Nitro Express British double when hunting prairie dogs.

Eric in NC

Do you think PD's instinctively know that the "ping" sound means your Garand is empty?

tenwalker

I bet they would know if you didn't get you finger out in time.

When shooting longer ranges you can dial the power down if mirage becomes a problem. I think that is the reason most of the long range shooters use variables. Other than that I don't really see much advantage, one of my favorite hunting scopes of all time was the old ElPaso Weaver K-6 with Micro-Track.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Don - LongRangeSupply

I like to be able to dial down for a wide angle field of view to get on target or for a close range / moving target, then be able to dial up when needed for a precision shot.

I don't like ANY fixed power scopes for those two reasons, plus very few good scope makers offer higher end fixed power scopes anymore with decent reticles.

Team Savage

For hunting, around a 2-whatever works best for me.

A red dot built into a scope base/rings, would be nice, then you could top it off with whatever you want for long range.

Variable power scopes - nice to have if you're limited to a small number of rifles.

However, if you happen to be out in the PD fields with Hammer I'm sure there would be plenty of rifles equipped with any number of various fixed power scopes. All one would need to do is grab the appropriate rifle/scope combo for the given yardage/target.

Possibly have your shooting partner ready with the next lower power scope/rifle combo in case of a bull PD charge.

Basic Member

My lowest fixed-powered scope is a 1X.

My highest is 45X.

If I recall correctly.

they work great for us confused people who can not make up our mind!
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

358Hammer

they work great for us confused people who can not make up our mind!
    I am with Greg on this one.

Many years ago when I hunted with rifles, everything I hunted with pretty much had Leupold 6.5 to 20 on them. 12 power was used for shooting little bitty groups. I used the 20 power for determining horn size or seeing if what I was looking at had the necessary size to cross a valley and go after.

Now I hunt with my variable handgun scopes on 3-4 for up close because of big critters in the brush. 10-12 powers are strictly for shooting paper. In the high country its 4-5 power and seldom do I go any higher for any of my hunting needs. I carry an ultra-light 15X45 power spotting scope attached to the outside of my pack and a Leupold Mesa 10X23 for all of my basic spotting work.

Neal

powderburn

To me the only benefit is the ability to turn up the power when at the range. 3 of my hunting rifles have fixed 4x on them and the .243 has a 2-7 variable that stays on 2 or 3x when hunting deer. I find 4x is plenty . In your post you mentioned that there were a lot of fixed power choices but I have just been bemoaning the fact that really there aren't the numbers there once were. Leupold has the FX series but they are more expensive than the VXii series which doesn't make sense to me. I was sort of hoping that Redfield would have included a 4x and 6x in the revolution line for around $125-$150. Hint Hint.

Basic Member

As far as hunting big game goes, wonder when we can really justify anything more powerful than 6X ?

And that only for pronghorn antelope.

2X, 3X, and 4X fixed power scopes do fine for anything else.

Heck, iron sights worked fine for our fathers.