Thread: My newest build

romad97

My newest build

This is my third build. It has become a sick addiction lol!! I actually have my 4th build about half way done now, just waiting on my stockade stock, which has ben right at 12 months. Anyway this particular rifle was built for coyote and maybe some hog and deer every now and again. I learned a lot building this rifle. I guess that is what it is all about. This was my first attempt at a DIY duracoat job. All in all it turned out OK. I preped everything as good as I could without having a media blaster. It stuck OK but it did scuff a little on the nut where the wrench had to go as well as a little around the action where I had it in the action wrench. This was also only my second attempt at a pillar bed job. I made some guides out of some long bolts and I pillared and glass bedded it at the same time. This turned out way better than my previous attempt at pillar bedding then later glass bedding. I still made a couple of mistakes but, It definately turned out ok and I learned something that will help me even more on the next one. I have not had this out to the range yet. I am planning to run the 62 gr Barnes TTSX bullets. I have 100 pcs of Win brass and 100 50 gr v-max bullets to fire form brass with. I have 5 pounds of CFE 223. I have been reloading for about 2 years now but, I have never fire formed brass before. Any tips on this would be much appreciated. The rifle did weigh in about a pound heavier than I really wanted, I went with the havy sporter instead of the standard sporter which adds a little weight.

Savage model 11 action
    CBI Heavy Sporter 22 inch 1 in 8 twist target crown chambered in 223 Ackley
    SSS recoil lug and nut
    Boyds classic stock with panel stippeling
    Flat Black Duracoat
    Turbo Bolt Handle
    Hinged Floor Plate
    EGW sscope mount
    Burris singature zee medium rings
    Vortex Viper HS 4-16X50 Scope

Looks good! Nice job! Should do the job nicely. 223 ai is on my list someday. Ive just recently done my first fireforming for a 6x55 swede. Really no big deal. Im sure someone else will chime in and say which powder will do best.
    Most seem to put a medium charge of the parent cartridge and seat the bullet into the lands and let her rip.
    Good luck and let us know how it shoots!
    Scooter

The Duracoat looks nice. I find spray-on finishes other than straight-up rattle cans to be a bit of a challenge, so good job!

You might want to check which direction your bipod is facing though.