Thread: What is your Favorite combination of the Model 24's

jheord

What is your Favorite combination of the Model 24's

If I had to pick one of the model 24's it would have to be the 22Mag over 20Ga! To me it is just a great all around gun!

Check this one out!

https://youtu.be/0cd59k8wdK0

I like the old standard small game combo of .22LR over .410. Fairly quiet with no recoil and perfect for the grand kids.
    Not sure but I'd guess there are more of these out there than the other combinations.
    Who am I trying to kid? It seems easier to blame the grandkids for buying scarce overpriced .410 shells and non existent .22LR but It's my favorite too.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I have two favorites...

24C Campers Companion in 22LR over 20ga for small game. Great for anything from squirrels to rabbit, and in a pinch can even be used for upland birds.
    24V in .222 Rem over 20ga for varmint hunting. Great for coyote hunting as you have the .222 for shots out to 200 or so and the 20ga shotgun for those that come in close.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I used to think a combination gun would be the ideal thing to carry around in the fall when both grouse and turkey were in season.
    The guys i knew having the Savages back then, (late 60s) seemed to be having problems with them. Also i thought a 12 gauge might
    be a better choice. So i bought a Tikka 12ga/222 and put a 1.5x 6 Leupold scope on it with see thru mounts. That gun has long since
    been discountinued by Tikka, and i have long since stopped using it.

jdh350
    I just bought my first Savage, a Model 24B-DL chambered with .22mag over a 20ga. at an antique show. However, I am a bit confused as the gentleman who sold it to me said that the round slide button on the left side was the barrel selector. Once I started researching it I realized that the hammer also has a barrel selector switch made into it. Is this a factory setup, or did I just get taken to the cleaners with a gun that has a mis-matched system? When I first saw the hammer selector I thought it was a safety!

jdh350
    I just bought my first Savage, a Model 24B-DL chambered with .22mag over a 20ga. at an antique show. However, I am a bit confused as the gentleman who sold it to me said that the round slide button on the left side was the barrel selector. Once I started researching it I realized that the hammer also has a barrel selector switch made into it. Is this a factory setup, or did I just get taken to the cleaners with a gun that has a mis-matched system? When I first saw the hammer selector I thought it was a safety!

Quote Originally Posted by jdh350 View Post
    Savage made a number of changes to the Model 24 over the years. Some had the barrel selector on the hammer, others had the button on the side. Some had a shotgun style break lever on the top of the tang while others had a push down lever on the side.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member

Savage M24 favorites

Current favorites are a 24C camper's companion 22/20 it is handy to have in the rig at all times. Other one I now own is a 24V, 223/12 w/ Leupold 1x pistol scope in scout style mount. Heavy but great coyote stand weapon. In previous lives I've owned 22mag/410, a 22/20, and one I should have kept was 30-30/20.

I know an old thread but our favorite model 24s are always timeless. I have a 222/20 ga that I like but I really enjoy shooting my 30-30/20 ga with cast bullets. I have a soft sport for the 30-30 as it was always my "go to" caliber with cast bullets and so much fun to shoot. I am impressed how accurate the 30-30 is out of a good rifle as well.