Thread: Model 16 in 7mm-08 - factory load recommendations?

shinbone

Model 16 in 7mm-08 - factory load recommendations?

I have a new Savage Model 16 Weather Warrior in 7mm-08 making its way to my FFL in the mail. I plan to use it for Rocky Mountain mulies and elk.

This is my first Savage rifle, and I can't wait to experience Savage's legendary out-of-the-box accuracy for myself.

Can anyone recommend any factory loadings that will first be accurate but also have good terminal ballistics? Anything in the 140 gn to 160 gn weight range should be good, I am thinking.

TIA!

--shinbone

Model 16 in 7mm-08 - factory load recommendations?

I would look for a cartridge using the Nosler Accu-bond bullet or the Barnes TTSX. Only way to know if they'll group well from your particular rifle is to shoot them and see. But those are two bullets that are designed to hold together and deliver deep penetration and good terminal performance, so they'd be a great place to start your search. The Accu-Bonds have always delivered great accuracy in my rifles.

shinbone
    barrel-nut - thanks for the info. I've got 140 gn Accu-Bonds in the Nosler Trophy Grade loading (2825 fps) in the mail to me, now.

I've shot the 180 gn Barnes TSX in a Federal loading out of my .300 WSM with really good results, and so was hoping to find something similar in 7mm-08. The only Barnes bullet factory load I could find for the 7mm-08 was the TTSX 120 gn at 3005 fps by Barnes, and, sadly, it is no longer available. Federal supposedly makes a 140 gn loading in their Trophy Copper all-copper bullet, which I couldn't find it anywhere.

For an all-copper bullet option, I ordered the Hornady 139 gn GMX loading (2910 fps). It was the only all-copper bullet I could find in stock in the 6 suppliers I checked with.
    Last edited by shinbone; 08-31-2015 at 11:45 AM.

Basic Member
    I have been using a 140 gr Sierra spitzer boat-tail with 46.5 gr of IMR 4350. In my model 11 it will shoot 2" groups at 200 yds. I have shot a lot of goats, axis deer and pigs with the load. I do not know what long range performance is like - my longest shot was only a little of 200 yds.

My son shoots tiny groups and drops whitetail right there with Hornady American Whitetail. Don't know how that would hold up on bigger game. I would look at the Superformance GMX as well. Nosler claims their ammo is good for elk.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    We shoot nosler accubond 140s in our 7-08s. does great for whitetails.
    My daughter killed a whopper of a mule deer last Fall and my Wife killed a caracal, impala, blesbok, and a big old zebra with her Ladyhunter using 140s in africa July a year ago.

Having never met her, we can't tell you what little things make your wife happy, note what little things upset her. Anyone can give generalities, such as be polite, say thank you, etc.
    Just because people are mass produced, doesn't stop the fact that we are are individuals. There is a lesson here.
    Rifles are also mass produced, but are not the same.

MZ5 and I bought twin Ruger predators a few years back, serial numbers are only a few numbers apart. Those rifles do not like the same things.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.