Thread: Model 12 lrp (Barrel not centered in stock)

Basic Member

Model 12 lrp (Barrel not centered in barrel channel)

Hey guy's I just picked up another model 12 lrp that I purchased at a gun auction, chambered in 6.5cm. Rifle looks good so far except the barrel is not centered in the HS precision stock. When I remove the bolt's , I can roll the action/barrel & it goes center until I install & tighten the bolt's. It keeps pulling to the left side of the barrel channel.
    Although it's not touching, has anyone else had this issue ? Any thought's or suggestion's would be very much appreciated. It is all bone stock original & has not been bedded yet. Got a smoken deal on this gun so I don't mind investing a bit more cash into it... Think it's gonna make a great target rifle for my teenage boy, so he will leave mine alone.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by benchrest; 08-29-2015 at 04:09 AM.

Team Savage
    I have never bought a savage that the barrel is centered in the stock
    shoot it first

Basic Member
    My thought also,,, i'm in the process of mounting a scope on it. Gonna take it out Friday evening & giver a whirl.....

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    i have never bought a savage that the barrel is centered in the stock
    shoot it first

lmao

Does it have the aluminum bedding block? If so, check carefully for any paint over-spray on the side that the barrel is contacting the channel. A small imperfection at the back end can kick things over a considerable amount 12-18+ inches away at the other end.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    Does it have the aluminum bedding block? If so, check carefully for any paint over-spray on the side that the barrel is contacting the channel. A small imperfection at the back end can kick things over a considerable amount 12-18+ inches away at the other end.
    I'm gonna take it back apart & check on this. I'm sure it's gonna be another tack driver..but it's driving me crazy , just looking at it.

Thank-you

I've found that this works on every single Savage I've had this issue with.

Loosen front action screw
    Move and hold barrel into center of barrel channel in stock
    Retighten screw

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I wish that were the case on the 110 FCP stock I have...

Basic Member
    Well the barrel being off center doesn't hinder the accuracy, shot some very decent group's this morning with factory ammo. Just ordered set of reloading die's for her.
    I tried Jim's advice & loosened the front action screw , held the barrel & re- torqued & it keeps pulling to the left. Also checked for paint inside the stock. I guess I will bed the action & see if that help's. But none of the less she is a typical Savage model 12 (Tack Driver). Now to get that boy of mine off those darn video game's & to the range. Thanks for the input guy's, it's always appreciated.

Cheer's

Team Savage
    OMG, as fate would have it, me and my buddy had his new 12 lrp out for the second time yesterday ,,,, he noticed this very thing, barrell is way off center to the barrel channel,,,,,we tried repeatedly to hold the barrel on center and tighten screws,,it did not work,,, angle shoulder on screws and angled insert in stock return to the same center everytime , but worse , the gun prints all over the place ,,,,so back to the drawing board

Check tang for free float, if left side of tang is touching stock, barrel will point to left. Remove pressure point & barrel should come to center.

Basic Member
    I don't know how LRP is set in the stock but I had same issue with my BTCSS when new which only has metal Pillars around stock-bolts.

Most of the "Off-Center" influence came from the TANG contacting one-side of the inletting behind the action. I gently removed some wood in this area with slight strokes of a dremmel-sander until I could run paper under Entire Tang when bolted-in without it pinching anywhere..

After that, Epoxy Bedded the whole action from trigger area to front of receiver and...HELD Barrel Exact-Center in Stock-Channel with some little Wood Wedges overnight.

Now it is a Straight as a Pin!

Basic Member
    Ha, Ha... It looks like Short Round and I had a Simultaneous & Identical bit of advice to offer. You're It!