Thread: 111 Long Range Hunter or Bear Hunter Brake question

Strutnut

111 Long Range Hunter or Bear Hunter Brake question

Has anyone taken the brake off and put a suppressor on? I am picking up one of these two in a month and now that cans are legal here in MN i was thinking of getting the Bear Hunter over the Long Range Hunter and putting a can on it.

If I remember right, the on/off style factory brake uses a different thread size/pitch than what's commonly found on brakes and suppressors so you would have to have it cut back/rethreaded or get a thread adapter for either model.

You didn't say what caliber you were looking to go with, but if you're looking at the .308 or .338 Fed. then I'd recommend the Hog Hunter. It's one of the cheapest 110 models to buy, comes already threaded for a suppressor, and the money you save over buying a specialty model like the Bear or Long Range Hunter can be put towards a nice Boyds laminate stock and/or converting to a DBM if that's what you want.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Strutnut
    Thanks for the info. Im getting a 300 win mag. Not really wanting a DBM for this one. I have had enough Mags dig into my side while hunting that the internal seems to be better.

Heavy Weight
    It's 9/16x28. You won't find a commercial thread adapter for it. I know because I tried....everywhere. So I had a local machinist make a custom "sleeve" in 5/8x24 that he permanently attached over the threads on my .300 Win Mag Bear Hunter. I didn't loose any barrel length and it only cost $80. It was a PITA but I LOVE shooting that .300 Win Mag suppressed. It's like shooting a .243 now!

All that being said, if I had it to do over again I'd buy a model that was already threaded in 5/8x24. Savage will put together absolutely anything you want. They will assemble any of their parts on hand into a rifle for you. It will take longer but you'll get exactly what you want. Just call them up and tell 'em exactly what you want.

Good Luck and be safe!

Heavyweight

Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Weight View Post
    It's 9/16x28. You won't find a commercial thread adapter for it. I know because I tried....everywhere. So I had a local machinist make a custom "sleeve" in 5/8x24 that he permanently attached over the threads on my .300 Win Mag Bear Hunter. I didn't loose any barrel length and it only cost $80. It was a PITA but I LOVE shooting that .300 Win Mag suppressed. It's like shooting a .243 now!

All that being said, if I had it to do over again I'd buy a model that was already threaded in 5/8x24. Savage will put together absolutely anything you want. They will assemble any of their parts on hand into a rifle for you. It will take longer but you'll get exactly what you want. Just call them up and tell 'em exactly what you want.

Good Luck and be safe!

Heavyweight
    You'll pay full price for that specially built rifle, with no possibility of a discount. But it'll probably save you some coin in the long run. Ross Schuler will build you a fine brake that'll screw right onto the Savage factory brake threads, and at a reasonable cost - cheaper than the aforementioned thread adapter.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Heavy Weight
    Schuler will make brakes to fit any threadcount for about $45....but I think the OP is wanting to run a silencer.

Strutnut
    Well the odd threads is a bummer. You would think with all these states legalizing cans you would have threads that could handle the cans as well as the adjustable brake. I would imagine it would not be that difficult for the factory or manufacturer of the adjustable brake to switch. Savage, ya listening?

Heavy Weight
    I couldn't agree more Strutnut....I bought my Bear Hunter with the intention of suppressing it from the start. My problem was that I got bad information from a thread here saying it was 5/8x24.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...+hunter+thread

I would have purchased another model if I'd knows the real thread pattern. I would think Savage would sell a lot more of the Bear Hunters if they used the standard 5/8x24. I love the rifle now!

Heavyweight

Strutnut
    The more I think about it the more I might just get Savage to custom make that bear hunter with proper threads, no brake. That way I can set it up correctly for what I want without having a brake I will never use. Its that or go with the LRH and leave it as is but dang, that bear hunter with a can on it would be the ticket.

Heavyweight

Here is my Bear Hunter....in a McMillan A5 stock with my YHM suppressor. Only way to shoot 300 win mag.

Heavyweight