Thread: Barrel Analysis Paralysis

Basic Member

Barrel Analysis Paralysis

I'm getting ready to order two barrels, but man there are just too many good options out there.

The first barrel I'm looking for needs to be a 28" 284 Winchester Standard Shank. I'm trying to stay under $400 shipped for this one. I'm down to getting either a Criterion or McGowen. Criterion seems to have a good following now, but only offers a 9 twist. McGowen could do either a 8 or 9 twist, but the 8 would take a little longer. Is there any other ones I should be considering for this?

The second barrel I'm looking for will be a 23" 6x45 and under $375 shipped. I'd like a contour heavier than a heavy sporter, but less than a varmint. I'm down to either a Blackhole Weaponry or an Xcaliber. The biggest difference between the two being the polygonal rifling versus standard. I've never had a polygonal, but the reviews see to be pretty positive.

I guess I should just be thankful there's so many options out there.

You never said what you want to do with them.
    But I wouldn't hesitate for a second to buy another ER Shaw. Since the re-tool, now since time ago, they build very nice stuff. I shoot mine to a mile, the hold-up with groups isn't a failing of the barrel.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    The 284 would be an F-Class gun. The 6x45 would be a walking varminter.

I've considered Shaw, but I still hear they can be hit or miss. I'm hoping to pay a little more and avoid the chance of getting a "miss".

Basic Member
    I have 5 BHW bbls and can say for a fact the 6x45 will shoot very accurately. I have 1 w/4007 rounds through it and still prints in the subs from 100-400 yards I use it at.
    Cleans up easily and have yet to find copper in it from the get go.
    It is 22" long, 1/10" tw, heavy sporter/light varmint and run it hard for p-dogs/coyote/antelope.
    My BHW barrel dia is .685" @ muzzle, then they have listed .750", .810", .920" & 1" when you decide on contour.
    Last edited by 5spd; 08-29-2015 at 07:36 AM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5spd View Post
    I have 5 BHW bbls and can say for a fact the 6x45 will shoot very accurately. I have 1 w/4007 rounds through it and still prints in the subs from 100-400 yards I use it at.
    Cleans up easily and have yet to find copper in it from the get go.
    It is 22" long, 1/10" tw, heavy sporter/light varmint and run it hard for p-dogs/coyote/antelope.
    My BHW barrel dia is .685" @ muzzle, then they have listed .750", .810", .920" & 1" when you decide on contour.
    It's good to hear that you're running your barrel hard with the Magnum Sporter contour. I think I'll end up going with the same set-up.

Basic Member
    Good afternoon,

It looks like we have blanks available in 1-8.5, 1-9, and 1-10 for the .284 Win Match if you're still interested in taking that route. It would likely take about 14 weeks to take them from blank to pre-fit.