Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primer frustration--- need some advice. I still don't think it's the primer

Basic Member

Primer frustration--- need some advice. I still don't think it's the primer

I have a Savage Model 11 S/S that I swapped out barrels and bolt head to make it a 6.5 Grendel because I love the the round. Now to the problem, lately when I go to the range usually 2-3 rounds out of a 50 round reload will not pop the primer. I can put them in my AR15 in 6.5 Grendel and they pop fine. This only happens in my bolt gun. I have taken the bolt completely apart several times to check each piece, to make sure nothing is broken or dirty. My guns are spotless and they stay that way, but this primer thing is driving me nuts. I have used Rem 7 1/2, CCI#450, Wolf small rifle primers, Federal etc.... Since the trigger has nothing to do with the bolt, could the mainspring in the bolt be bad? If so, from what I understand from Savage they don't make heavier main springs, but I might find one aftermarket. Anyone had this issue and had to fix it. Any hekp would be appreciated. Having the rifle go click in a match is embarrassing, not to mention nerve wracking.The firing pin hits the primer cause there is always a mark, but not hard enough.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Trapper Glatzer <trappernga@gmail.com>
    9:21 PM (4 minutes ago)

to me
    The rounds that FTF have dents from the firing pin but don't fire. As said before, only a couple do this and this problem has just started after a few hundred rounds on this gun.
    I have been reloading for some time, but am always learning from listening to you guys here. The brass is all new Lapua brass, of which I have several hundred new pieces and I measure the length before reloading but I don't size my new brass. I used some Winchester new brass and had the same reaction with 2 FTF. All my primers are in straight and level using the pictured RCBS Primer Tool. When I reload fired brass, I run the resizing die down till it touches the shell holder and add an 1/8 turn. I keep the AR brass away from the bolt gun brass, by using different colored round plastic boxes. When I am reloading my .20 Practical I use the seater die to knock back the shoulder if necessary.
    Robinhood: I don't know how to set up a case headspace from how I am reloading right now. Haven't learned that yet.
    Last edited by Trapper; 08-26-2015 at 09:32 PM.

Couple things I would do is segregate brass for bolt gun & some for AR. Measure shoulder bump, shoulder may be set back to much, cushioning the primer strike. Make sure the primer is fully seated. I doubt the main spring is weak, going to a heavier spring can lead to punctured primers.

Team Savage
    Sounds more like a headspace issue. Not barrel/chamber headspace. (brass too short, gets pushed forward by the firing pin) I would be checking the OAL of the brass that's giving you problems.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

I have never had a round not fire, but the primers were backing out of the case when fired. Now when I load new brass I FL resize and seat the bullets into the lands to form the case to my bolt guns chamber. After the cases are formed I neck size only. That seems to have ended my trouble

How experienced are you in reloading. How are you set up to measure your case head space?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    A headspace issue as others have already stated.

Segregate the non-firing rounds and measure the headspace with a comparator. Compare measurements with fired brass. I believe you will find that the non-fired rounds have a headspace DL which is too short.

You should only be bumping your shoulder about .001" to .002" from fired brass in a bolt rifle. AR rounds should be bumped .003"- .005" and that is why the rounds will fire in your AR.

LongRange
    Can you post a picture of your fired primers...you say you changed bolt heads?

I had a problem years back with just about the same concern as yours.
    I needed to break in one of my rigs and decided to burn some surplus 147gr 308 down the tube as to not future waist any of my more expensive components.
    Every now and then I would have a ftf. I knew the surplus primers had harder cups but didn't think they,d give me grief but they did.
    I adjusted my trigger and the problem was solved as far as being able to set off the surplus ammo. once my brk in was done, I reset my trigger to a lighter pull.
    Don't know if this helps, but from what you've said.....Im kinda leaning towards head space
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    is the pic you posted of the primers that didnt fire?

Basic Member
    LongRange, No Sir, I had the AR Grendel at the range and they shot fine in that. I had tp take the bolt apart otiginally to swap out the bolt heads. Grendel use the PPC bolt face. Plus I will clean the bolt after each range visit. Old habits are hard to break, I'm an old Marine

Now that more info has been added, & if shoulders are not set back to much, I have a hunch that firing pin travel may need adjusted. Possible also the sear is dragging top of trigger, this can happen when a trigger is used that has trigger stop, just need to back off adjustment screw a tad. Semper Fi young Marine.

LongRange
    what short round said but im guessing your firing pin protrusion is to short with the bolt head swap...and i bet the reason it only happen with a few rounds is because those few pieces of brass are sized a little more(looser in your chamber)...id adjust the firing pin a 1/4 turn and i bet that fixes the FTFs.

Basic Member
    I greatly appreciate the advice from all of you. Going to the range tomorrow and I will let you know what happens.
    Thank you all again,
    Trapper

Basic Member
    a) Installing barrel without a go gauge, or at least not checking with a go/no-go gauge (excessive headspace).

b) Shoulders moved back too far on case sizing.

c) Inadequate firing pin protrusion. .050" +/- .005"

d) Two of 3 above in combo.

In rare cases, chamber cut too deep, causing outer face of bolt to hit end of barrel when installing thus setting excessive headspace. Bolt will close with resistance when no round in chamber. Bolt face to end of barrel, min of .110" to .125". to give adequate room for gas to escape if case/primer blows, and no interference to bolt face outer edge.

If your over travel is set too short, the sear will drag on the top of the trigger causing light strikes as well.

Basic Member
    Robinhood, here's a couple pics of those primers that would not go off
    .[IMG][/IMG]

Head space was checked with a go-no go gauge and is correct.
    Last edited by Trapper; 08-28-2015 at 07:25 PM.

Basic Member
    Do the primers sit above the base of the case, or flush on the misfires? Don't look like light strikes.

LongRange
    How many times did you try and shoot those rounds? More than once....can you post pics of primers that fired?

And a pic of a seated unfired primer....did you uniform your primer pockets? I ask because ive seen primers not seated deep enough do the same thing...the pin hits the primer but knocks the anvil out.

Basic Member
    I wish I had kept some of the fired cases, but out of the 100 loaded, those were the ones that FTF. I had another box of 50 loaded and 2FTF and I moved them to my AR Grendel and they fired fine. When they go "click", I try one more time in the bolt gun and I have not had one of those fire on the second try. But all shot when put in thr AR Grendel. Except of course those I brought home to try and get some help figuring this out. Oh yeah, When I load I set each round down on a small mirror cause they are really flat and make sure I have no wobble,I also use my fingernail to make sure they are no edges.
    Longrange, I clean the primer pockets each time I use any piece of brass.
    To me, the primer looks like the firing pin is hitting hard enough to set them off, the part that throws me is why only a couple of roundss FTF and none of the others????

I did not see if you looked at your trigger over travel.

Team Savage
    Do you still have the loaded rounds that FTF? Change the OAL by pulling the bullets out a bit so they jam into the lands. See if they'll fire that way. Probably have to single feed. If they fire that will tell you that the primers are OK. and if they fire, make sure you don't push the shoulders back too far on the brass if resized. If they don't fire, push the primers out and get a good look at them. SMACK them with a hammer. That will tell you for sure. One step at a time till you figure things out. Mike.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    T hanks for the advice Mike, I am trying one thing at a time as this post has given me some things to work with. Sometimes the easiest fixes are the obvious ones that we fail to see. I will keep the post up till I find the answer. Raining today so, I may have to wait a few days to make the range again.
    But thanks to all

Since it is raining pull the action out of the stock and look to see if the seer is dragging on top of the trigger. If it is then the seer will not be able to move out of the way cocking pin causing interference with the firing pin travel, acting as a brake and reducing speed thus force. This may not be the issue but the reasoning is....the arc of the seer travel follows the radius just to the left of the trigger seer ledge in the picture. This radius is not correct for minimal over travel. Set your over travel to clear the trigger.

I hate to keep bringing this up but it seems it would be a simple thing to inspect and fix. Very little else explains your issue. You don't even have to go to the range. You can install primers in the cases that failed to fire and strike them in the garage.

Basic Member
    Robinhood, just finished taking the trigger assembly apart and couldn't find anything where the seer was rubbing with the trigger so I polished both areas anyway with dremel and flitz. The one thing I did find was when I put everything back together, the trigger was even smoother than it was before. I did change out the accu-trigger spring with a benchrest Savage spring.
    Not that had anything to do with it, just seemed like a good time to do it. While looking over the tifle out of the stpock, I noticed that the bolt at the back of the bolt assembly had some space maybe as wide as a dollar bill, so I called Savage and asked them the torque setting for that bolt and they said there wasn't one, so I broke out the Wheeler and torgued that darn thing as tight as I could get it comfortably. Did as you suggested, took 3 pieces of brass loaded only with primers and the rifle popped all three. Not sure if that will be the final fix, or not, but tomorrow is another range day unless it's pouring. Thanks for your advice and hanging in there with me on this.
    Trapper

The only thing I would have done different would have been to make a visual inspection of the trigger at the fired position looking to see if the trigger was contacting the seer. There should be maybe enough rook for a .004 feeler gauge minimum between the two. That set screw in the back of the trigger will increase/decrease the over travel if needed. Good luck Devil Dog.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast