Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Primer frustration--- need some advice. I still don't think it's the primer

Looks like taking your advice worked out LR.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

That's a fact. reloading is so subjective.
    What works for one may not work for the other.
    Find what you like and works for you and keep at it.
    For me?....an open mind is a brite mind.
    Gotta watch it though.......one day you may give in and buy a 30" barrel just to have to cut it down to make it shoot, then have your friends say.... "see, I told you so".......bahahaha............. Hey Dave...sound familiar?........
    Kinda reminds me of my mother yelling ......... Don't touch that because its hot!........what do I do?...............touch the dam thing and burn the living crap out of my fingers all because I just had to find out for myself lolololo
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Looks like taking your advice worked out LR.
    for once....I guess everyone has a lucky call every now and then LOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    That's a fact. reloading is so subjective.
    What works for one may not work for the other.
    Find what you like and works for you and keep at it.
    For me?....an open mind is a brite mind.
    Gotta watch it though.......one day you may give in and buy a 30" barrel just to have to cut it down to make it shoot, then have your friends say.... "see, I told you so".......bahahaha............. Hey Dave...sound familiar?........
    Kinda reminds me of my mother yelling ......... Don't touch that because its hot!........what do I do?...............touch the dam thing and burn the living crap out of my fingers all because I just had to find out for myself lolololo
    theres no better way to learn than to experience things for yourself IMHO...as far as that 30" barrel goes....I did have it cut down and it still would not shoot....almost 3000 views and no one wondered why that barrel wouldn't shoot so I just let it die, but I will tell you it had nothing to do with the length or the shooter ...

Basic Member
    I'm on the other spectrum. I think people make reloading way to complicated. Like group shooting. There's so much human error in group shooting how do you know its the specific powder charge, seating depth, primer etc. That got you the results and it wasn't just you having a better natural point of aim and follow through etc.

I also use what many would consider lower quality reloading equipment accept for in a few areas.

With this I will always believe skill is the biggest part of shooting and a shooters dedication to skill usually rolls over into the dedications to his reloading. With human error involved though there's no way I can see an adjustment of a 1000th or 100th of an inch will solve all your problems.

Sorry rant over lol. Glad the OP was successful in figuring out the issue. Quality components is step number one!

LongRange
    I agree that the shooter is the biggest part of shooting but how will a good shooter ever know how good of a shooter he really is if he don't take the time to eliminate all of the variables he has control over.

Basic Member
    Consistency. Consistent practice and application of the fundamentals. Consistency of your reloading techniques. Once it works run with it till it's broke broke then reevaluate. If you shot a bad group don't think you need to start load development all over again.

If you're always changing your equipment and reloads then you're probably always making small adjustments to your shooting positions too. Might be good, might not be.

Everything you do runs together. Consistency is the key. If you want consistent improvement then stop trying to change things all the time and focus on consistent improvement. Learn your rifle, learn your ballistics, and focus on the information you're taking in from down range.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    theres no better way to learn than to experience things for yourself IMHO...as far as that 30" barrel goes....I did have it cut down and it still would not shoot....almost 3000 views and no one wondered why that barrel wouldn't shoot so I just let it die, but I will tell you it had nothing to do with the length or the shooter ...
    On the contrary, I for one was very curious what happened to that barrel. However, in view of all the vendor bashing threats, I chose not to get either of us in trouble. So.......PM enroute for the status.
    Mike

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Consistency. Consistent practice and application of the fundamentals. Consistency of your reloading techniques. Once it works run with it till it's broke broke then reevaluate. If you shot a bad group don't think you need to start load development all over again.

If you're always changing your equipment and reloads then you're probably always making small adjustments to your shooting positions too. Might be good, might not be.

Everything you do runs together. Consistency is the key. If you want consistent improvement then stop trying to change things all the time and focus on consistent improvement. Learn your rifle, learn your ballistics, and focus on the information you're taking in from down range.
    agreed.

Basic Member

Adding information instead of always asking for it.

LongRange
    Heres a few good reads on primers...boring to some but interesting to me...as far as the hottest to coldest...best and worst ESs ect i did some field testing in a 300wm and a 260rem a few years ago and will post up some of my findings this winter

http://www.accuratereloading.com/primer.html

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...mer-study.html

That pretty much sums it up lonewolf. That's my thought process as well . Always has been. Its so darn easy to over think things, reinvent the wheel if you will.
    The more time you think about variables? The more you come up with.
    I've run down that road before and it led to burn out. I quit for a few years.
    When I got back into it,it was back to basics. I've been happy ever since..
    I like to tinker,as most reloaders do, but once you find what you were looking for?....bam! Get it done and start shooting.
    I like your train of thought lonewolf........the word common sense comes to mind. Lolo

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    That pretty much sums it up lonewolf. That's my thought process as well . Always has been. Its so darn easy to over think things, reinvent the wheel if you will.
    The more time you think about variables? The more you come up with.
    I've run down that road before and it led to burn out. I quit for a few years.
    When I got back into it,it was back to basics. I've been happy ever since..
    I like to tinker,as most reloaders do, but once you find what you were looking for?....bam! Get it done and start shooting.
    I like your train of thought lonewolf........the word common sense comes to mind. Lolo
    LMAO...eddie...the wheel has been reinvented...hundreds of times...and if it wasn't for over thinkers youd still be chasing your dinner around trying to kill it with a stick ...just something to think about the next time those words "common sense" pop into your mind...no disrespect meant...im just sayin!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123