Thread: Primer frustration--- need some advice. I still don't think it's the primer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Primer frustration--- need some advice. I still don't think it's the primer

I have a Savage Model 11 S/S that I swapped out barrels and bolt head to make it a 6.5 Grendel because I love the the round. Now to the problem, lately when I go to the range usually 2-3 rounds out of a 50 round reload will not pop the primer. I can put them in my AR15 in 6.5 Grendel and they pop fine. This only happens in my bolt gun. I have taken the bolt completely apart several times to check each piece, to make sure nothing is broken or dirty. My guns are spotless and they stay that way, but this primer thing is driving me nuts. I have used Rem 7 1/2, CCI#450, Wolf small rifle primers, Federal etc.... Since the trigger has nothing to do with the bolt, could the mainspring in the bolt be bad? If so, from what I understand from Savage they don't make heavier main springs, but I might find one aftermarket. Anyone had this issue and had to fix it. Any hekp would be appreciated. Having the rifle go click in a match is embarrassing, not to mention nerve wracking.The firing pin hits the primer cause there is always a mark, but not hard enough.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Trapper Glatzer <trappernga@gmail.com>
    9:21 PM (4 minutes ago)

to me
    The rounds that FTF have dents from the firing pin but don't fire. As said before, only a couple do this and this problem has just started after a few hundred rounds on this gun.
    I have been reloading for some time, but am always learning from listening to you guys here. The brass is all new Lapua brass, of which I have several hundred new pieces and I measure the length before reloading but I don't size my new brass. I used some Winchester new brass and had the same reaction with 2 FTF. All my primers are in straight and level using the pictured RCBS Primer Tool. When I reload fired brass, I run the resizing die down till it touches the shell holder and add an 1/8 turn. I keep the AR brass away from the bolt gun brass, by using different colored round plastic boxes. When I am reloading my .20 Practical I use the seater die to knock back the shoulder if necessary.
    Robinhood: I don't know how to set up a case headspace from how I am reloading right now. Haven't learned that yet.
    Last edited by Trapper; 08-26-2015 at 09:32 PM.