Thread: Savage Magnum Target Questions

Basic Member

Savage Magnum Target Questions

I have been looking at these and all of the stock photos show a standard 112 action but all of the photos on gunbroker show a black target action with the target trigger. Does anyone have one and know what action it has? Also, has anyone seen a range report?

BBgigem
    Keyhole,

Hi, I just joined the group so I hope you don't mind me answering... I just got the 112 Magnum Target in 338 Lapua. It does have the long target, single-shot action in black, with a jewelled bolt and target trigger. I literally just got it set up with a Vortex Viper last weekend, so I haven't gotten to do much testing. Initially, it seemed to shoot very well. The only rounds I could track down in time for our shoot were the S&B 250gr Match rounds. I boresighted the scope and fired a round at the 100 yard target. I was three inches low and an inch right. A quick adjustment put the next round in the 2-inch orange cirlcle, about 3/4 from dead center. One more adjustment and the third round broke the half inch center dot. I fired two more for verification and got a cloverleaf group, roughly 3/4 of an inch center to center (I didn't have any calipers). That's all I've gotten to shoot so far, but I ordered all of the components this week to start working up a good load for it. I have to say, what I was impressed with the most was the recoil, or lack thereof... I knew the brake would help this thing, but I never thought that it would reduce it down to the level of my 308. That combined with the crisp target trigger, and I'm extremely satisfied.

*I'd post some pictures, but I haven't figured out yet how to go about doing that...

Thanks... BB

BB, You will need to upload your pictures to a internet photo storage site. From there you can link to the pictures. Most internet forums require you to do it this way.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I have one question me too about the Savage Magnum Target, all the other Savage in 338 Lapua (Long range hunter, 110 HS FCP, etc...) and the target actions comes with a closed top but not the Savage Magnum Target, the open top actions are strong enough for the 338 lapua?

Basic Member
    The pressure is on the lugs and foward.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBgigem View Post
    Keyhole,

Hi, I just joined the group so I hope you don't mind me answering... I just got the 112 Magnum Target in 338 Lapua. It does have the long target, single-shot action in black, with a jewelled bolt and target trigger. I literally just got it set up with a Vortex Viper last weekend, so I haven't gotten to do much testing. Initially, it seemed to shoot very well. The only rounds I could track down in time for our shoot were the S&B 250gr Match rounds. I boresighted the scope and fired a round at the 100 yard target. I was three inches low and an inch right. A quick adjustment put the next round in the 2-inch orange cirlcle, about 3/4 from dead center. One more adjustment and the third round broke the half inch center dot. I fired two more for verification and got a cloverleaf group, roughly 3/4 of an inch center to center (I didn't have any calipers). That's all I've gotten to shoot so far, but I ordered all of the components this week to start working up a good load for it. I have to say, what I was impressed with the most was the recoil, or lack thereof... I knew the brake would help this thing, but I never thought that it would reduce it down to the level of my 308. That combined with the crisp target trigger, and I'm extremely satisfied.

*I'd post some pictures, but I haven't figured out yet how to go about doing that...

Thanks... BB

Interesting! All of their stock photos are wrong. Thanks for the info, I hope you do a write up in the future! Sounds pretty promising! Those target triggers are awesome too, but to get mine down into the ounces without trouble I had to shorten the spring on the middle blade so it didn't have more resistance than the trigger. Not sure if you want a 6-8oz trigger on a 338, but just something you might run into.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyhole View Post
    Interesting! All of their stock photos are wrong. Thanks for the info, I hope you do a write up in the future! Sounds pretty promising! Those target triggers are awesome too, but to get mine down into the ounces without trouble I had to shorten the spring on the middle blade so it didn't have more resistance than the trigger. Not sure if you want a 6-8oz trigger on a 338, but just something you might run into.
    You are right about stock photos, the photo on the Savage website show open top action but photos of the actual rifles on the net clearly show closed top.

BBgigem
    Hey guys, got an update on my previous post... Regarding the action, it is definitely a closed top. Strange that the stock photos show it open, I hadn't even noticed until you guys mentioned it. Hopefully my first attempt to upload a photo works out.

As far as the performance goes, I got my first shipment of powder in this past Friday, loaded up some Hornady 285gr BTHP's, and headed back out to the range. I'll just say that any minor hesitations that I've had about buying a Savage (this was my first purchase) have been completely blown away! I'll get some pictures of the target together tonight, so for now you'll have to take my word for it... but I kid you not, the first three rounds at a hundred yards went in the same hole! If I had to guestimate just by looking at it, I'd call it under a quarter inch center-to-center. I was losing light so I left the group with three shots instead of attempting 5, so I could play around with my new Kestrel. All I can say is that I freakin' love this rifle!

Last edited by BBgigem; 08-31-2015 at 07:00 PM.

BBgigem
    Last edited by BBgigem; 08-31-2015 at 04:09 PM.

Basic Member
    That looks awesome! I can't wait to see some load work up, but it sounds like not much will be needed.

BBgigem
    Hey fellas, I took a picture last night of the first handload group. BB

Basic Member
    that looks great! got lucky on the first time around.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

Basic Member
    My 110 FCP shoots the 285gr BTHPs very well with Reloader 33. Haven't had much luck with Retumbo yet. Definitely likes the heavier projectiles seated super close to the lands, .001" jump has been the sweet spot for me.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

Basic Member

Cant wait to see how much better it gets after you fool with your Kestrel lol.

Sevent6Vet
    I just bought this gun and it should arrive next week! Looking at scopes now and places to buy brass to start loading.

Very nice, congratulations!

Basic Member

bet this put a smile on your face!! great shooting!

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!