Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First shots with my new heavy Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by M.RAYVAN View Post
    These are great I got mine in 22-250 sub moa nikon.pro staff 5 4.5-14x44 it is great. is that scope FFP? is it clear ? I here a lot ok pros on it.
    It is FFP and I like it a lot. For the money I don't think there is a better scope out there. The glass is pretty clear even at 14 power, the turrets don't have the greatest feel but work well and it returns to zero very accurately.

First shots with my new heavy Barrel

Tonight in going to do some serious gunsmithing. Time to take my bolt apart and clean it. Doesn't look to hard. Wish me luck

Zero wind at the range today. Nailed steel at 725!!! It took me a while to walk it in but I did it. It was a really cool feeling. I think it's time to get a bigger rifle. I want to get out to the 1,000 mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Maybe you don't necessarily need a bigger rifle, Russ. Just a bigger bullet! Well, maybe a new barrel too, specifically set up for 90 gr.

Interesting article on shooting 90 gr in .223 at 1,000 yds. http://www.dcra.ca/Marksman/Marksman...umn%202012.pdf

Maybe some day if I win the lottery.....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Maybe you don't necessarily need a bigger rifle, Russ. Just a bigger bullet! Well, maybe a new barrel too, specifically set up for 90 gr.

Interesting article on shooting 90 gr in .223 at 1,000 yds. http://www.dcra.ca/Marksman/Marksman...umn%202012.pdf

Maybe some day if I win the lottery.....
    you'd need a barrel with much more twist.
    K. So your saying with a 223 you're ringing steel at 725 yards?
    Are these reloads or factory cartridges? What velocity?
    thats a heckuva long way with a 223. And if it's a 223 with something smaller than like 62 grains or less I think they gotta be close to being subsonic by that point.
    I just want to make up a balistic chart. If a 223 can achieve that my 22-250 should be able too to.
    Farthest ive managed to mist a prairie dog was 350 meters or so this past weekend. I was blasting the prairie dogs and leaving them in the field so the coyotes might come out and snag one. Basically using them as bait.
    Saw a new games trail worked into the bush and obvious signs of pigs. The ground was all dug up,rooted around looking for anything.
    So this weekend I'll see if a pig or 3 is in my patch of bush.
    Hmmmmmm bacon.

Basic Member
    With my 9 twist 223 model 12 BVSS I had a great load using 69gr. SMK and 8208XBR. Shot very well at 750 yds. Then I switched to the 69 grain tipped match king and Varget. MUCH better ballistics! Haven't been out to the 1000 yd range with it yet as I'm still fine tuning it, but expect it will be even better.

I just picked up a 12FV in 22-250 on sale at Cabelas, and some 55 grain factory loads to try out. Be fun to see if it is that much better than my 223. Hopefully I can get it to stabilize 69 grain SMK's with it's 12 twist barrel. Not holding out much hope for the TMK's though, as they're longer.

Mine does not shoot well at 725 yards,But I have done it. I would say it is pretty accurate up to the 500 mark, and very accurate in the 100 to 300 range. I'm using 55 grain federal, I've tried a few other but this stuff seems to do well. I'm not a very experienced shooter, I'm sure a better marksman would get better results then myself

I was originally looking to purchase a new rifle in .308, but now I am thinking about getting a new barrel for my current rifle. I don't know much about custom barrels and what to get. Looks like it's time to do some reading

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123