Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First shots with my new heavy Barrel

First shots with my new heavy Barrel

Went to the range today. Took me a while to zero in but when I did I was very happy with the results. I used 55g federal

That was my best group

Basic Member
    Very nice!! Glad your happy with your Axis..

5 shot group?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

No it was three

I was gonna do a Five shot but after those three I didn't want a flyer to screw it up

Going back to the range next week gonna try some 300 yard stuff

rfd12fv
    nice enuf group. looks like yer doing good and havin fun, what it's all about.

gotta love these lazy man smokeless rifles, all tricked out with scopes and jacketed bullets that anyone can hit stuff from afar.

just load 'n' shoot, with weapon cleaning optional.

Well that was my best group. I could show you others that weren't so close

I just cut a little over a spring off the trigger feels a lot nicer. Hoping that it transfers over to a tighter group. Either way I like the feel of it better. Easy 15 min job and I'm no gunsmith by any means

Went out today to a new shooting range. It was great, got to hit some 300 and even 400 yard steel. I really like the trigger a lot more now that I cut the spring.

I hit the 547 yard mark today!!
    Very happy

Nice! It's a darn good feeling, isn't it?

Yeah I was pretty surprised. I got to use my rangefinder for the first time. That and the info from my ballistics calculator make it pretty easy on me.

I've had good luck with the 55gr Federal bulk pack (100). Seems to be very consistent for factory ammo much less bulk pack stuff
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Nice group!!

Reeseman
    I have had very good luck with the Federal 55 grain bulk also in my Axis heavy barrel and my 11VT . Slightly over 1'' groups at 100 yards and 1.5'' to 1.75'' at 200 . Not bad for cheap bulk ammo . The Axis will shoot Hornady 55 grain V MAX under 1'' at 100 yards with the Rifle Basix trigger I have in it now . Got it set at 1.5lb and no bump fires . I like it better than the Accu Trigger . I do get some bad fliers with the Federal .
    Last edited by Reeseman; 10-19-2015 at 06:35 PM.

I like the 55G federal but I always get two or three out of the box of 100 that don't fire. I have also used the Winchester 62G match and got some really good groups from them

A nice day at the range. I found out my rifle doesn't like fiocchi ammo. I tried a few rounds and they shot fine but I had to crank and muscle the action to get the spent brass out. I have not run into this problem with other ammo I have tried. When I put the round next to my federal rounds they looked the same???

rfd12fv
    "I tried a few rounds and they shot fine but I had to crank and muscle the action to get the spent brass out."
    didja check the bolt for residue? keeping the bolt clean from blow back is what i'll do with newly formed brass. once it's formed, i won't full resize, i'll collet neck size and then the bolt residue issue is either minimal or non-existent.

had some great weather today and baptised the .223 axis hb with my hand loads of varget under smk 69's. i prefer long range so i see no need to start at less than 200 yards and that's where i did today's shooting. i did my barrel break in process and that always causes fliers, which is of no concern to me as it will usually take a few hundred rounds for the barrel to show its true potential, and then there's the required load development testing. anyhoo, aside from the flyers, i did ok - the aiming spot is 2".

The bolt looked fine and worked with the other ammo. The fiocchi was the only stuff that gave me trouble

rfd12fv
    did the fiocchi chamber smoothly and easily?

if not, there's probably a dimension of the brass or bullet or oal that's not making yer rifle happy.

if it does, there could be an issue with the brass and/or charge.

either way, the solution with fiocchi is clear.

hand loads are SO much better.

Another fun day at the range. I shot very well but I could not for the life of me hit the 750 yard steel. I could get close but it just wouldn't happen. I guess that just out of the 55 grain capabilities

rfd12fv
    with its 1:9 twist, i have no problem stabilizing those excellent 69 grain sierra match king boat tails - give 'em a try!

I think I will. Will I have to RE- zero the rifle when going to a higher grain?? My guess is that I will

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast