Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 x 56

dpollard

Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27 x 56

I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a high-end optic. Last year I got into long-range shooting and quickly found that most of the scopes I owned fell short at extended range. As a treat to myself I purchased a Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27 x 56 with the EBR-2C reticle in MOA. I wanted to get the MIL but this scope is on about a 10 month back order and this MOA is what I could find.

I was able to get out and shoot it this afternoon and get a quick zero on my rifle. The clickless zero is really a nice feature of this scope as you can fine-tune your adjustments and not have to do 1/4 MOA minimum. You can adjust as much or as little as you want and then set it.

What I found with this optic is that at 27x power you really see any wobble in your hold. I found even on bags I was having trouble holding a completely steady point of aim. Perhaps all those "fliers" over the years weren't really "fliers" I also really enjoyed how perfect the adjustments are. At 100 yards when I adjusted 1 MOA it adjusted EXACTLY 1 MOA.

I am excited to get out and shoot long-range with it.

Below are some pictures of the scope. It's sitting on a Savage 11 I built last year chambered in .260 remington with a Criterion 26" barrel and Bell & Carlson stock.

Basic Member
    Nice! I think that's my next scope also.

Basic Member
    I'm between the wait for one of these, a Kahles, or possibly the new ATACR F1. I was impressed by all 3 or these. But I'd have to do some gear and financial redistribution before the upgrade lol.

Basic Member
    I like how they dummy proofed the windage knob. Unless the dummy is looking thru the scope as he turns it, that (should) be helpfull.
    Where can i get one. lol

Yep, I'm jealous! I splurged and got myself one of the Vortex Viper 6-24x FFP PST's with the same reticle you have and love it. I've been using MOA for way too long to try and convert my brain into thinking in MIL's, so I specifically went for the MOA version. For what I'm using it for (varmint hunting) the finer adjustment MOA offers is beneficial and appreciated.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Not sure if you've ever looked through and of their Razor line Jim, but the constrast is what I love about the vortex glass. Everything just pops out when you look through them.

Wow that's very nice. I checked one out a my local store. I was amazed by the craftsmanship put into it. I want one but it's gonna be a while before I can talk the wife into it

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    Yep, I'm jealous! I splurged and got myself one of the Vortex Viper 6-24x FFP PST's with the same reticle you have and love it. I've been using MOA for way too long to try and convert my brain into thinking in MIL's, so I specifically went for the MOA version. For what I'm using it for (varmint hunting) the finer adjustment MOA offers is beneficial and appreciated.
    Maybe you should buy one to 'review'
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I just got mine in 2 days ago, waited 4 months long months. Got the same reticle but in mrad. Waiting on my rings, should be here monday from midway. It's heavier than I thought, but not enough to outweight all the other positives. It's going on my 10P-SR. These are not cheap scopes but they are in a different league, and this scope will truly last a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    Maybe you should buy one to 'review'
    Review on the Viper PST is pretty much done and 2/3 written, just need to finish it up and publish it at this point. As for reviewing a Razor, I'd love to...the hard part is getting Vortex to send me one to review.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

dpollard
    Quote Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
    I just got mine in 2 days ago, waited 4 months long months. Got the same reticle but in mrad. Waiting on my rings, should be here monday from midway. It's heavier than I thought, but not enough to outweight all the other positives. It's going on my 10P-SR. These are not cheap scopes but they are in a different league, and this scope will truly last a lifetime!
    4 months seems to be pretty good from what I am hearing from dealers. I had two tell me they are on a 10 month wait now. I bought mine from a private party seller but it was brand-new in box. However, I had to get it in the MOA version rather than MRAD. I would have preferred MRAD but I can live with MOA. All my other scopes are MOA.

Basic Member
    dpollard, it's your fault I ordered the EBR-1C version today.

Basic Member
    It's an excellent choice. Have had mine for about a year and a half and a couple months back got a 3-18 with a 2C. Like everything about the scope and seems like others do too. http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/1...-and-reticles/

Basic Member
    Yeah, vortex is making a big splash. And the gen 2 razors are right up there with S&B, Nightforce, and depending on the model for 1K less or more. And there warranty is the best IMHO. Im not surprised they are leading the pack now. Im sure they will dominate for a couple years and some one else will try and copy them and try and gain some of the market back. Gen 2 razors are still on a long wait. Awesome scope!

Basic Member
    I sold a NF BEAST and replaced it with a Gen II 4.5-27 EBR-2C mil rad. My amateur eyes couldn't tell a difference between the two other than the reticle. When you factor in Vortex's lifetime warranty, it's really hard to beat for the money. They will replace it with a brand new/newer model if it every breaks, for any reason. I could literally drop it off a cliff and then go back to them and say "yeah, going to need a new one" and they'd send me one no questions asked.

Vortex has gained a lifetime customer as far as I'm concerned. I see no reason to use anything else besides them at this point, and I recommend everyone do the same.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

LongRange
    i to have the new gen 2 in MOA...i also have a NF ATACR and the only difference i see between the two as far as the glass is the vortex is a little bit more vivid but not enough to notice unless your looking through both side by side...the reticle is where the huge difference is,also being able to tune the scope to a perfect zero and the built in zero stop...i shot night force scopes for 7yrs and it was hard for me to switch but am glad i did...if NF would update their reticles id still be shooting with them.

Basic Member
    I can't believe NF is only now jumping on the FFP wagon with the ATACR F1. I probably would have bought that had you been able to find them anywhere, but the Razor offers the same features and quality/clarity for less $$$. It's a no brainer to me.
    [I]"In the end, run what 'ya brung because it's better than nothing and don't give two ****s what some interwebs chat board guy says about your rig."[/I]

LongRange
    i cant believe NF has not updated their reticles...or should i say updated to better reticles...the ones they have are way to cluttered for me and they are to big at full power.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    i cant believe NF has not updated their reticles...or should i say updated to better reticles...the ones they have are way to cluttered for me and they are to big at full power.
    What torque value is reccomended for the ring screws on the Razor scopes?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    What torque value is reccomended for the ring screws on the Razor scopes?
    Depends on the rings being used...

Basic Member
    So it could be 20# with one brand and more with another? That dosent make sence to me.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    So it could be 20# with one brand and more with another? That dosent make sence to me.

The ARC rings are 55 inch lbs...the cap type rings are 20 to 25 inch lbs.

Basic Member
    Yes it depends on the ring manufacturer spec as they know how much torque it takes to make their rings hold the scope. It's not about the actual scope. The Razor II is strong enough that it could take the 20-25 in/lbs, which is about the highest I have heard of for ring caps. Most are between 15-20 in/lbs. I torque my Seekins ring caps to 20 in/lbs.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    The ARC rings are 55 inch lbs...the cap type rings are 20 to 25 inch lbs.
    ARC rings are the only way to go being that the Razor is a behemoth of a scope. Unless you want to spend 4 hundo on a Spuhr mount.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WinnieTheBoom View Post
    ARC rings are the only way to go being that the Razor is a behemoth of a scope. Unless you want to spend 4 hundo on a Spuhr mount.
    Sorry but have to disagree. Seekins rings and the Vortex branded versions work just fine holding the Razor II scopes. I got one of the first Razor II 4.5-27x56 last year and it's been sitting in Seekins Precision rings and has never moved in travel or matches shot with it. I also have two other Razor IIs in Seekins rings and same thing, rock solid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast