While at Walmart I made a pass through sporting goods andbought a couple budget scopes just because they were on sale. Whether good or bad, they will go on the shelf to mount on the next budget rifle that is brought home to tinker with.
Bushnell Banner IR 4-16x40 $49.99
Centerpoint IR 4-16x40 $35.99

Normally I would have just picked the Bushnell but given thesale prices I grabbed one of each.
To start with:
- No, I would notdepend on either one if life, score or a hunt was on the line.
- Yes, they are junk and will probably live a short life and then be thrown into a trash can. (Feel free to quote this line and add ”+1”)
- I am not trying to compare either to better optics. But, if you find yourself wanting a bottom of the line scope this might be useful information.
- As my eyes age,lower end glass is less appealing. The eyepiece needs to be cranked out quite aways to get the reticle in focus. I’ve found that this really messes with the parallax/focus on some scopes. With that in mind, others’ experiences may bequite different than mine.
- The scopes were not mounted. All comparisons were made with the scopes sitting on the deck rail at 50 and 200 yards.

Low Light Performance
It was getting pretty dark when I brought them home and certainly past any legal daylight hunting time.
Neither is great but the Centerpoint is slightly better.
Illuminated Reticle
Bushnell
Very nice! Only the center section of the reticle including the bullet drop markings is illuminated. No internal glare whatsoever. The lowest green setting and up to about 6x magnification would probably be the most useful.

Centerpoint
Very bad. The whole reticle and ring at the outer edge are illuminated. The glare is terrible even at the lowest settings. If you want an IR and actually plan to use it, look elsewhere.

Daylight Performance
Again, the Centerpoint has a very slight advantage. Eye position at higher magnification was also a bit more forgiving.

In summary between THESE TWO SCOPES:
If you want an IR scope and plan to actually use the feature,get the Bushnell.
If you don’t care about the IR or even if there are batteries in the controller, get the Centerpoint.