Thread: New Axis .223 Twist rate?

Cuts Crooked

New Axis .223 Twist rate?

Howdy, I'm new here.......been lurking fer a while though.

I was at the local Wally World today and was checking out the rifles, saw an Axis .223 with a hang tag on it that said it was a 1-7 twist. Checked with the clerk, who dug out the factory paper work from the box, and it also indicated a 1/7 twist rate.

I bought mine about two years ago and the twist in it is 1/9. Mine handles 55 gr stuff really good, which I like as I use it fer coyote hunting and I like the lighter bullets to help save hides. I hope this is not going to be the standard twist rate in the future, because I was thinking about getting one for my son, who also likes to hunt coyotes. (He's been using my rifle and I want it back ) It's been my experience that the faster twists will shoot the light bullets, just not as well.

Basic Member
    Looks like there were some 1:7 twist at Walmart. That was a surprise to me. . Savageshooters thread here:

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...t-Rate-History

Basic Member
    I have a Axis .223 from WM model 19046 ( about 3 years old) not listed on the savage site and from what I have found out it is a 1:7 twist. been shooting 55 gr ammo out of it and it shoots 1"+ groups at 200 yards, that is all I have had the time to try it out at.

savage2014
    My 1-9 twist savage axis 2 does not like 55gr bullets. It likes the heavier ones from 69gr to 75gr

My Axis XP likes American Eagle AR-223 50gr Tipped a lot!

I have one of the 1:7's, and, it shoots the 55gr 223 rounds fine. It will also accommodate the heavier rounds a little better (IMO) if you need the flexibility or handload.

One of the best shooting factory rounds was the plain black box American Eagle 55grFMJ in lightweight rounds. I have not had good luck with spire point or soft tipped ammo in 55 or 62gr factory loads, they were all over (3" spread). Fusion and Hornady were the two tried with no luck. The FMJ 55gr's were all adequate for yote accuracy if you want small holes.

I believe the AxisII has the slower 1:9 twist still, you might consider that model.

Handloads using the 75gr HPBT were excellent, and the 53gr VMAX is the current "untried" handload.

Best of luck on your replacement rifle, new is almost always fun!