Thread: Savage mod 90 semiauto .22

Savage mod 90 semiauto .22

I saw this .22 carbine in a gun store for $50. It looked in good shape, better than the 10/22's for twice the $$$. I took it home and cleaned it but when I fire it the bolt stays to the rear unless I let go of the trigger. Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated.

Basic Member
    It's a later version based on the Model 6 & 7 actions that often are called 'click, clack' guns - yes the bolt is supposed to stay until the trigger is released (causing a 'click, clack' sound as they cycle). The bolt being held is how they keep the gun from going full auto, when the trigger is released it releases the bolt which is holding back the hammer, the bolt is heavier than the hammer so it moves forward a little slower when released than the hammer would by itself, this makes it easier for the sear to catch the hammer - if the hammer slips over the sear the gun would go full auto. Very early Model 6's just held the hammer back and the change to holding both the bolt & hammer was done very early - parts catalogs do not list the early parts but have a note on the cost to convert to the later design.

Cool!! thanks for the info!!