Thread: Where would you say is the best place to hog hunt in the USA?

Basic Member

Where would you say is the best place to hog hunt in the USA?

I want to do a road trip this fall (From Charleston,SC) to stalk and still hunt hogs with my .454 Raging Bull scoped hand gun, and my Marlin 1895 GBL 45-70.

Texas, Ga, Fla ??,,,,don't matter.

Where would you say is the best place to go for the most hogs?

would depend if you are willing to pay for a hunt or are hunting public land only.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Pay hunt. Two people....

Basic Member
    Just drive across NTex on hwy 82 at night, chances are you'll hit one in every county with the pickup truck.

I hear tx has lots of them, but several of the guys at work go from time to time with an outfitter here in Central FL. I have never heard of them not getting pigs. I can ask them the name of the outfitter and get back to you. But there are a ton of them here. It was rather expensive to me considering I kill quite a few a year while Deer hunting, but if you guys are travelling that is the way to go unless you can get access to private property and they are baiting them in. Westshoreoutfitters and TigerIsland outfitters comes to mind off the top of my head, but like I said google it and you will find a ton of different outfitters and a ton of different prices.

Basic Member
    I haven't been, but if I was to go it would be somewhere with no tag limit and the ability to use a suppressor! When one of them drops and the others just stand around trying to figure out what happened instead of running it makes it more fun. Had a buddy that went on a hunt in Texas. He only got one and the land owner was upset he didn't get more.

Florida just changed that laws on hunting suppressed on WMAs this year it is finally legal. Been saving my $$ to get my s--t together. Been trying to figure out this year where I am going to hunt hogs. Was on a lease last year but the guys gave it up because of all the cows on the property and the trouble with them emptying feeders. I didn't put any wire up around my feeders and the first time I went back to check the camera I had 1600+ pics of cows emptying my feeder in 2 days.

Basic Member
    Just about any of the southern tier of states now have "hog problems!" From Charleston, you can get to GA, FL, MS, and LA, as well as Texas pretty easily. I'd suggest you go on line and use your browser to search "Hog Hunting opportunities" in each state. Ask/demand references, and call the folks that have been there and done that with each of the outfitters. Driving around the states, looking for hog sign, will be expensive and pretty unproductive. Hunting public lands can sometimes work, but they're generally overrun with hunters and underpopulated with hogs. And the hogs that have survived the onslaught of hunters, have learned that when they hear the sound of a pick up truck or 4 wheeler from miles around, they will go straight to the deepest brush they can find!

jfksc
    Not sure I'd call it the best in terms of shear numbers of hogs, but we have plenty out here in California. Our style of hunting for them is more "hunting" and less shooting them under a corn feeder. Mostly all spot and stalk. Lots of glassing from ridges and shots that average over a 100yds. Some of the best tasting too since they feed heavily on the barley fields and grapes we have growling in the valley. I can pm you the info for a guide I hunt with who has a family ranch that's 7k acres and loaded with pigs. You do need a license out here to hunt them and a $22 tag, but no limit on how many you shoot. Some good videos on YouTube of california pig hunting. I have a couple buddies from Florida who say the long shots and open country out here makes it more fun than in the south.....their words, not mine.

A good video of our style of pig hunting: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qhfdlUKPNvM
    Last edited by jfksc; 08-15-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Add video link

Basic Member
    Thanks for the info, and I wouldn't mind going that far, but I wanted to use my .454 handgun while stalking............

A buddy from upstate NY paid $500 for a guided hog hunt in Florida last yea

Basic Member
    ,,,,,,,," $500 for a guided hog hunt in Florida"

WoW!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by richhelton View Post
    A buddy from upstate NY paid $500 for a guided hog hunt in Florida last yea
    Holy moly Hope he shot a monster trophy. $300 is very high here. depending on what is included anywhere from $100 to $250 is fairly normal.

I can't get this forum to work properly since the server switch...

His hunt was a 2-hog guarantee. One was between 250 and 300, and the other one was smaller. That price included them dressing and packing the meat in coolers for him to take back on the plane. I have seen other hog hunts advertised for $250 and up in many magazines but never looked into it myself.
    FTR in 223, BA LE Tactical in 308, 110 Flatback in CBI 6mmBR Norma, Others

romad97
    I havent had the oppertunity to hunt many different states. I was stationed at Fort Hood for 5 years though and thats where I cut my teeth on learning how to hog hunt. Just about everywhere in Texas seemed to have more than plenty of hogs to go around. I am currently statoned at Fort benning. Although our hog population is fairly plentiful here, it still doesn't compare to the amount I saw while stationed in Texas. I used to hunt a ranch called bow hunters paradise in Texas, awesome ranch and awesome owner.