Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much $$$ did you put into your Axis

Wow...I guess I'm not feeling so well after looking at what y'all spent on your Axis. Mine is

Axis: $199 (after Academy sale and $50 Savage discount)
    Boyd's Heritage Stock: $209
    Timney Trigger: $115
    Axis HB: $150
    Burris XTR II 5-25x50: $1,300
    EGW 20 MOA Rail: $40
    Vortex PMR 34mm Rings: $150
    Harris SBRM Bipod 6-9": $94
    Gunsmith: $300

All in I'm at $2,557 and it seems friggin' ridiculous because the rifle was $199. However, the smith is being paid for as a Christmas present so, if you subtract that along with the scope, rings and bipod -- because I can use them on other rifles -- I'm only in for $713 which is really not too bad.

What IS bad is that my wife will likely go out with the Ruger American 7mm-08 with no modifications and still shoot better than I will.

No money in the world can solve that problem though, unless you pay her to miss occasionally!

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    After looking thru this thread I don't feel so bad now that I know I'm not the only one putting a $1200 scope on a $199 rifle.

After the $150 stock, the $250 barrel, the $100 bipod, the $90 rings, the $200 bottom goodies, the....

If my 'ol lady reads this I may never be heard from again.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    Nice. Where are you guys finding sweet deals on the axis? It's already cheap I know but one guy paid $179!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    No money in the world can solve that problem though, unless you pay her to miss occasionally!
    I tried that with bowling and it didn't work. Not sure it would be smart when she's holding a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    After looking thru this thread I don't feel so bad now that I know I'm not the only one putting a $1200 scope on a $199 rifle.

After the $150 stock, the $250 barrel, the $100 bipod, the $90 rings, the $200 bottom goodies, the....

If my 'ol lady reads this I may never be heard from again.
    I may not have bought a Nightforce or Schmidt & Bender but I did my best to follow the "buy once cry once" advice relating to optics. It's better than having to buy 3 or 4 $600 scopes trying to find one I could be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by Romero14 View Post
    Nice. Where are you guys finding sweet deals on the axis? It's already cheap I know but one guy paid $179!!
    Academy Sports. They had a $30 store discount at the same time as the $50 Savage rebate.

phantom_geo
    Paid $229 for 30-06 and invested $60 on a cheap scope and $10 to put resin in stock to stiffen forearm. Shoots fantastic. I'm cheap..lol

Coolhawg6622
    First off I wanna say thanx fellas!!! Ii have been a lurker for a while and this thread has given me my direction. Picked up a Axis 25-06 at Cabelas a month ago when they were on sale for 269.99. Minus the sale of the stock, rebate and store coupon I have roughly $110 in it. So a new Boyds thumbhole, trigger job and a New Vortex 6-18x44 Scope and Im in for maybe $480ish......

This is my first Savage and not my last if it will shoot......just seems to cheap for such a cool rifle

Again.... thanx!

doodedge
    Axis 308 HB - 150 after 50$ rebate(rebate took 4 months but I did eventually get it lol)
    Boyds Provarmit - 125
    CDI Bottom metal- 160
    SWFA SS x10 - 300
    Amazon Rings and Bases- 10$
    JB Weld home bed job- 10$

Total - 755

Shot a few holes touching, under .5 moa at 100
    Pinged a steel plate at 800 yards a couple times in a row the other day.

22BVGord
    Started with a stainless Axis and it has been in the "project state" since April last year. Ordered a pepper laminate Boyd's stock last April and have been working at it on and off since. Unlike my Mark 11 Boyd's, this stock was not a very good fit at all so it has been a frustrating, not to mention a learning, experience. Finally, and with the help of/conversations with a number of people on this forum, I decided to drill the new stock and go with pillars (lamp rod & probably will bed them in place when all is well). The biggest challenge was to get the two pillars cut to the right size and with proper length action bolts so that everything functioned 100%. Long story short - the new stock is on and snugged down nicely, the barrel is floating, the safety is functioning properly, it passed the bump test etc., and the trigger is about #3.6. Went to the range today and had it grouping within a quarter just over the bulls eye at 50 yds. Fine for now.

Cost (CA): Stainless .243 $350
    Boyd's Stock 165
    Boyd's Stainless Trigger guard 15
    Weaver Bases 10
    Burris Z Rings 35
    Lamp Rods/Bolts 12
    New/lighter Trigger Spring 3
    Bushnell 3-9-40 Firefly 200

Total $790

let us know how the bushnell works out. i recently looked at those. i got a few 3200s but they are all multi x

22BVGord
    I like the Firefly reticle. There is a small, clear circle in the middle with fine cross hairs. The outside cross hairs a quite thick but combined it finds the target very quickly. 10 seconds of flashlight is enough to get the outside cross hairs to glow green so it will work in low light. Not sure how long "one lighting" will last but at least it is not battery operated. The light from a bore scope is not bright enough light up the reticle - it requires a flashlight.

jaytothekizzay
    I'm at about 650.00 for everything. And this is s great shooting, beautiful rifle...I am very proud to own this rifle...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123