the latest axis hb in .223rem from gag - 317
    ffl fee - 15
    rockite - 8
    weaver base - 17
    utg 30mm rings -11
    mueller 8-32x44 sf - 240
    basix trigger - 88
    caldwell pivot bipod - 37
    hornady match brass, remington 7-1/2 br primers, varget powder, sierra mk 69 bullets - 0
    reloading tooling - 0

total - 716

Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    ffl fee - 15
    rockite - 8
    weaver base - 17
    utg 30mm rings -11
    mueller 8-32x44 sf - 240
    basix trigger - 88
    hornady match brass, remington 7-1/2 br primers, varget powder, sierra mk 69 bullets - 0
    reloading tooling - 0

total - 716

Let me know how the utg rings work. I was thinking about grabbing some

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ77 View Post
    Let me know how the utg rings work. I was thinking about grabbing some
    so far, so good. they seem pretty solid. i'll be lapping the rings later this week, to get the best mating of tube and rings.

Basic Member
    ffl fee - 15
    rockite - 8
    weaver base - 17
    utg 30mm rings -11
    mueller 8-32x44 sf - 240
    basix trigger - 88
    reloading tooling - 0

total - 716

Are you happy with the Rockite? I'm considering doing the same. Did you do forearm and buttstock? How much weight did it add?
    Using Tapatalk

rfd12fv
    if i don't swap out to a boyd's, all my tuppeware stocks get the rockite treatment. adds a few pounds - or more, because i put pvc tubes in the butt stock rockite so i can add lead (if needed). for keeping the sealed end tubes from floating out of the liquid rockite, you can see the bases of 230 grain .45acp bullets in the tubes in the pic below.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the pictures. I have a Stevens 200 that will probably get the Rockite treatment. I will eventually get another stock but not now.
    Using Tapatalk

rfd12fv
    when you add water to the rockite powder, add VERY little at first and mix thoroughly - you'll need to add a little more to get it into a slurry - i can't be wet like soup.

this is a good youtube how-to vid on using rockite for gunstocks - dunno why he paints it, i don't bother, no one can see it at all ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suh0feCDaHA

russ2far
    I paid $343 for a stainless 223 axis, -$50 mail in rebate (still waiting on it to come)= $293, $10.99, Weaver stainless bases= $303.99, $29.99 Burris stainless rings= $333.99, 15.99 Replacement trigger spring= $349.97, and a Burris 4.5-14 that's been on my shelf for a couple years now I would expect to get $150 for it= $499.97. It shoots better then all but 3 of my rifles, and cost a third of what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    I have $1255 in my first one which you can read about in the 4-part series here.

My second one which I just finished I have roughly $600 in without the scope, but I stuck with the factory barrel and did the AccuTrigger conversion rather than go with an aftermarket one. (us lefties don't get a factory AT option)

T&T by SSS
    AccuTrigger conversion
    Surface ground factory 110 recoil lug
    Custom bolt handle
    Fluted bolt body
    SSS Pro-Hunter stock
    DNZ Hunt Master rings/mount combo

Left bolt,right port, how does that happen. I like it, nice job.

Paid members can get access to the whole story, but the Cliff's Notes version is Fred Moreno at Sharp Shooter Supply.

Hi, I've been lurking for a while and learned a lot before attempting my first Savage Build. Here is my project so far.

Bull Barrel 300 Blackout Build. I'm not including tool cost because I'll spread that cost over several projects. Yea I could have bought a 300 Blackout for this cost but it wouldn't have been nearly as fun or awesome.
    Barrel Wrench set $35 Midway
    Barrel Vice $78 Amazon
    Action Wrench $58

Rifle $257 Walmart
    16.5" Bull Barrel $125 Ebay
    Rail $7.50 Academy
    Scope $125 EBAY (BSA via China)
    Stock $115 Boyds Forest Camo
    Total $625.50
    223 barrel sold -75
    stock sold -45

$509.50

[IMG][/IMG]

Basic Member
    Looks very similar to my blackout, I just painted the factory stock for now.

jasonbaer33
    if i don't swap out to a boyd's, all my tuppeware stocks get the rockite treatment. adds a few pounds - or more, because i put pvc tubes in the butt stock rockite so i can add lead (if needed). for keeping the sealed end tubes from floating out of the liquid rockite, you can see the bases of 230 grain .45acp bullets in the tubes in the pic below.

Does this actually work at keeping the fore grip off the barrel when shooting from a rest or bi-pod?

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonbaer33 View Post
    Does this actually work at keeping the fore grip off the barrel when shooting from a rest or bi-pod?
    rockite is actually a form of very fine grain concrete cement that will cure extremely hard and stiff. as such, when laid and cured into the fore end of a synth stock it will make the entire fore end as stiff and hard as a rock - zero flex. after the rockite cures (about 5 to 20 minutes, depending on how much water was used for its slurry), i float the barrel by running a large dowel wrapped in 100 grit sandpaper into the fore stock channel. this insures that there is a good 1/16" to 1/8" of space between the fore end and the barrel, all the way back to the recoil lug. i allow no contact between the barrel and the stock. i almost always shoot off the bipod. the fore end never touches the barrel before, during, or after the gun goes bang.

this is the maiden voyage first 25 rounds out of the .223 axis hb, all at 200 yards, cleaning the barrel between each of the first 5 rounds, then cleaning after each group of 5 rounds (butch's bore shine on a well fitting patched jag). i had laser bore sighted the rifle and it took 5 rounds to get the group going. the orange dot is 2" in diameter. mueller 8-32x44 sf glass, 14oz trigger, sss single ramp feed. (note that i blanked out the load data in the pic) i am old, i have macular degeneration in my dominant eye, i'm at best just a decent shooter, if i can do this, *anyone* can do lots better ....

Where can I find a feed ramp??

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ77 View Post
    Where can I find a feed ramp??
    sharpshootersupply.com - $18 for an axis ramp

Looks perfect gonna get me one

Do the popsicle sticks come with the ramp?

Just kidding! That appears to be just the thing I've been looking for. I had been trying to make my own single shot ramp that inserted in place of the magazine, but it never worked quite right. Did you use the 110 version or is there an Axis-specific ramp that's not on the website?

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    Do the popsicle sticks come with the ramp?

Just kidding! That appears to be just the thing I've been looking for. I had been trying to make my own single shot ramp that inserted in place of the magazine, but it never worked quite right. Did you use the 110 version or is there an Axis-specific ramp that's not on the website?
    i have no need for a magazine, and in fact my cartridges would probably be a tad too long to fit and function well in a cage. single feed is best. this ramp is specific to the savage axis and works flawlessly for me. the slats of wood are 3/32" model aircraft plywood that slide into the side grooves of the stock - just a perfect place for those grooves and a perfect fit to act as a far more solid and stabilizing base for the aluminum ramp. a little bit of slow set epoxy fillet 'tween the wood and ramp (you can see those blobs in the pic) keeps everything squared up and in place. this is not a permanent assembly, and will be easy to undo if a magazine is needed .... which it will never be, for me - so i will probably sacrifice the magazine by removing its plastic base and using that to cover up the open magazine well hole.

email SSS and chat with lisa, she'll set you up with one of these ramps, $21.50/shipped was the price tag as of earlier this year.

Jay24bal
    Yeah, the ramp for the Axis from SSS is pretty great.

I ordered one for my 6.5 CM build, and after seeing it in action ordered two more to have on hand for future builds where I will not not want a magazine fed rifle. One of them is already in a gun I use for varmint matches.

They fit incredibly well and have no slop or play once installed. On my 6.5 CM build, I glass bedded the rifle all the way from recoil lug to back action screw, and having that feed ramp in there gave me a ton of surface area to bed as well. The gun will only be shot as a single shot, so I filled in the entire mag cavity with epoxy/lead mix.

I highly recommend it.

How much $$$ did you put into your Axis

Add another 230 to my rifle. Just ordered a Boyd stock pro varmint green. Can't wait to get it put together. I think it will be an easy switch I have had the stock off before. Wish me luck!

$193 i didn't get the trigger guard I think I will order one later. Can't wait to put it on hope it goes together easily. Glad I went with the green color

Nice! That color does look pretty good. It's a bit "hospital green", but if nothing else it would make a decent base for camouflage.

That was easy. It is quite a bit heavier. I really like the feel of the stock. Gonna take it out Monday to see if it tightens up the groups any. My guess would be no but we shall see

Basic Member
    Axis $369 Canadian
    Scope Prostaff 5 BDC $469.00
    Caldwell BiPod $59.00
    Scope rail $20.00
    Trigger $200
    Scope Rings $60.00

.619 three shot group at 100 yards with 55g Sierra Boat tails COAL under 2.26 @ 200 yards 1.849 pulled third shot first two measured at .819

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast