Thread: chrome moly recoil lug

Basic Member

chrome moly recoil lug

I'm hung up on my build for a recoil lug. I have a gloss blued receiver and nut-I don't want to put a ss lug between the two blued pieces. With a ss barrel, it starts to look like a zebra. Is the ss of low enough quality that it will accept cold blue? Or--does any body know where I can get a chrome moly lug? Thanks, Steve

Midway has blued factory lugs for about $8, though shipping might drive the price up if that's the only thing you're getting. I'd suggest upgrading to an SSS precision ground lug, but I believe they are also stainless.

Easy fix is to order a SS barrel nut, Midway has them on sale right now actually. $12.99

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/177...ProductFinding

Team Savage
    I've never got any cold blue for SS to work well. It will not give the luster blued finish you desire. Your best bet is to purchase a rattle can of Brownell's GunKote bake-on epoxy finish. Satin black GunKote is a close match to the old Savage luster blued finish. Follow the directions closely, dull the smooth SS surface with steel wool, clean the part in acetone and handle with rubber gloves to make sure no oil residue is left on the part surface before or after the GunKote is applied. Once baked on, GunKote is very durable and solvent resistant.

Dark Eagle Custom Inc. offers ground Savage SS recoil lugs that are GunKote finished in flat-black which matches well with the black matte finish Savage currently uses. They might paint one in satin black GunKote for you to better match the luster blue finish.

Here is a picture of a SS recoil lug on a Savage LWH with a GunKote satin black finish.

Last edited by jpdown; 08-12-2015 at 09:58 AM.

gotcha
    Nice looking work JP ! And great suggestion.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies/suggestions. I ordered a SS nut and a SS lug from midway. I really don't care where the color break is, as long as it's all in one place. Now I'll be able to get my .17 Fireball done. Thanks again, Steve