Thread: removing crimp from military brass

boy412

removing crimp from military brass

I'm trying to learn the best way to remove the crimp on my once-fired LC brass. I have a RCBS swager die, and I think I have it adjusted correctly...but when I try and seat primers they don't seat deeply enough.

Any tricks I should know about? Debating getting the primer pocket reamer for my Wilson trimmer.

Re: removing crimp from military brass

Answered your own question.Primer pocket tool.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Eric in NC

Well if you can't seat the primers you don't have it adjusted correctly. The RCBS swager works but it is a PITA. Easy and cheap is the Lyman hand reamer tool - just a fluted cutter on a wooden handle. You can do it over a tray while you are watching TV. That would be what I would get if I only had a couple of hundred to do.

If you have a lot to do, the Dillon swager is the ONLY way to go - great tool that results in perfect pockets.

Easy and cheap is the Lyman hand reamer tool - just a fluted cutter on a wooden handle.
    +1

boy412

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    Well if you can't seat the primers you don't have it adjusted correctly. The RCBS swager works but it is a PITA.
    I'll try fiddling around with the mandrel depth and die body depth. You're right though... that swager die is a total PITA!

:)

I always just used the Lyman tool. Works great, it's just not fast. It only takes a couple of turns for each piece though. I think it still comes with both large and small reamers, mine did.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Basic Member

Like Eric said: If you have a bunch to do, bite the bullet and get the Dillon.
    Charlie
    laportecharlie

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
    I always just used the Lyman tool. Works great, it&#39;s just not fast. It only takes a couple of turns for each piece though. I think it still comes with both large and small reamers, mine did.
    I just take the reamer off and stick it in a cordless drill and hit the crimps/pockets, that makes it way faster than turning by hand. Ive done 6k this way so far.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5spd
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
    I always just used the Lyman tool. Works great, it&#39;s just not fast. It only takes a couple of turns for each piece though. I think it still comes with both large and small reamers, mine did.
    I just take the reamer off and stick it in a cordless drill and hit the crimps/pockets, that makes it way faster than turning by hand. Ive done 6k this way so far.
    +1