Thread: filling axis stock

filling axis stock

I was on a website looking at custom rifles, I stumbled on to this hi-dollar rifle with a custom wood/carbonfiber stock. Sweet weapon, the owner/gunsmith said he filled buttstock with lead shot...I didn't know. Anyone done this, did it help...how did u keep from rattling_? ( epoxy/wax?)

Mix it into some epoxy.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    I was on a website looking at custom rifles, I stumbled on to this hi-dollar rifle with a custom wood/carbonfiber stock. Sweet weapon, the owner/gunsmith said he filled buttstock with lead shot...I didn't know. Anyone done this, did it help...how did u keep from rattling_? ( epoxy/wax?)
    NO, don't waste money for epoxy, and it won't add significant mass weight.

there's already a thread on plastic stock and fillers - see this page ... http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ch-epoxy/page2

Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    NO, don't waste money for epoxy, and it won't add significant mass weight.

there's already a thread on plastic stock and fillers - see this page ... http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ch-epoxy/page2
    Lead shot mixed in epoxy won't add significant weight???? It may not be the most bestest but it will work.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Lead shot mixed in epoxy won't add significant weight???? It may not be the most bestest but it will work.
    yes yes yes, of course we all know that'll do it .... but rockite alone is way faster and cheaper and having done it both ways the rockite is clear winner for me, maybe for you too.

Basic Member
    Plummer's putty. Heavy and removable.

Basic Member
    I used Bondo body filler when I filled mine messing around like 2 years ago. worked great added some weight, but I didn't add anything else to it. Biggest thing was it got rid of that cheap hollow sound.

I wouldn't waste my time or money on the factory stock though. Just buy a boyds and if you want to add weight drill a hole in the buttstock and add whatever your need. seal it up and screw your butt pad back on.

Quote Originally Posted by rfd12fv View Post
    yes yes yes, of course we all know that'll do it .... but rockite alone is way faster and cheaper and having done it both ways the rockite is clear winner for me, maybe for you too.
    OK because what you stated and reality were different. But it's all good.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I just did some experimentation like that, on a shotgun (Model 1300) to see if I could lessen the recoil. I used sand , and shot and some other compounds... I got a limb saver, as a last resort and it tamed the recoil some... everything else was an experiment, which didn't work... I had no noticeable difference firing it until I put the limb saver on it.

rfd12fv
    plumber's putty adds nearly zero stiffness, which is more important for the forestock than weight.

bondo adds stiffness, but no appreciable weight.

the knockout champ is still rockite - great stiffness and weight, sets up in minutes.

rfd12fv
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    OK because what you stated and reality were different. But it's all good.
    no. read my post. i said that epoxy (the bonding agent, not the shot) wasn't worth the expense.

rockite is quite heavy and eliminates the need for lead shot for added weight, unless you want the tube-up-the-buttstock and use lead shot (or whatever) for a moveable weight.

OK...tried the Rockite nice stuff. Definitely took the hollow echo outta my stock, I appreciate everyone's input. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

rs
    Has anyone weighed there stock after using the rocktite on both the buttstock and the forarm , seems to me it would be almost to heavy for a carry around gun.

rfd12fv
    rockite in the fore stock adds Lots of stiffness and little weight, because the area to be filled is small. insert a pair of pvc tubes (with the inside end closed shut with tape or caps) and you can tailor both the butt and overall stock/rifle weight to taste with weight (lead shot or whatever) inside the tube(s).

again, this has been discussed in another thread, see my post there that has youtube links on how to rockite a plastic stock ...
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ch-epoxy/page2

I have done the forend in Rockite but later today will the stock. Definitely stiffer in the forend now and a little heavier. I think shooting my ,223 now will be like a .22 with a little more blast when the stock is filled.