Thread: bedding 10fcp in an accustock??

MissouriTrapper

bedding 10fcp in an accustock??

I recently bought a new model 10fcp in 308 win. 24" heavy fluted barrel. 5r 11.25" twist rifling. In the accustock. I want to squeeze every last bit of accuracy that i can out of it and was wondering id it was worth bedding over the alluminum bedding blocks in the factory stock or if i should just skim bed it? I stumbled onto a hadload today (after lots of other testing) that grouped 0.65" @ 100yds using a 168gr amax. Which is plenty accurate for 95% of what i will ever do with it BUT i like to take things to the next level and i wana squeeze it down even further if possible. So is it worth it to bed over the aluminum? Thanks for any input!

Team Savage
    Some skim bed the accustock. But I doubt it will change anything. If it has the standard Accutrigger spring, you might want to replace with the target/varmint Accu-trigger spring so that you can get the pull weight down to around 1.5 lbs. Gun Shack stock's them.

I just finished working up a load for a Savage Hog Hunter in .308 and also found 168 gr AMAX's to be a good hand load. I played around with seating depth and found that 168 gr AMAX groups were tighter touching the lands or 0.020" off the lands verses the 0.010" that I started with to find the OCW using RL-15 and the 20" barrel. Your rifle may vary.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-10-2015 at 10:11 AM.

MissouriTrapper
    I loaded several charges of imr 4895 at several oals. Right on rifling and then backed off .005" at a time. Every powder charge, groups got tighter the further i got from the rifling. I loaded a couple more and went off another .010 from the previous lad and went from a 1"+ to a .65" 5shot group. Gonna play a little more with it see if i can get it down a little more. Also adjusted trigger down all the way and didnt realise there was a sequence to tightening action screws when reinstalling. To the stock. Going to order a torque wrench and play with the torque on the screws once i settle on a good load and see if i can reduce the group size even more. Hopeing to get down to 0.5" at 100yds before im done.

MissouriTrapper
    Turns out that my rifle liked it .020" off the rifling too. Lol